Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Homelink Location Aware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone reading this is into home automation this can also be easily accomplished for less than the cost of Homelink.

Google can provide details, we don't have our Tesla yet but the garage door opens (insignia homekit opener), the garage entry door unlocks (Kwikset Premis) and the lights set depending on the time of day (Phillips Hue) as we approach the garage. We don't have an auto-away setup because it doesn't quite work for our situation but it is also possible.

Last edited:
If anyone reading this is into home automation this can also be easily accomplished for less than the cost of Homelink.

Google can provide details, we don't have our Tesla yet but the garage door opens, the garage entry door unlocks and the lights set depending on the time of day as we approach the garage. We don't have an auto-away setup because it doesn't quite work for our situation but it is also possible.

Agreed. I actually bought the TailWind WiFi garage door opener that is location aware and connects to your car's BT. Just trying to compare its capabilities to the Tesla Homelink.

Reactions: imola.zhp
If I recall my settings, I can open my door up to 150 ft away (in 25ft or 50ft increments I think), but auto close is at 20 feet. I usually wait to ensure it closes before driving off. A few times it hasn't closed, so I just wait now. I have also enabled chime on open/close so I know the signal was sent. I will probably turn that off soon, once I trust the system is working as it should.

Reactions: HeyEph
If I recall my settings, I can open my door up to 150 ft away (in 25ft or 50ft increments I think), but auto close is at 20 feet. I usually wait to ensure it closes before driving off. A few times it hasn't closed, so I just wait now. I have also enabled chime on open/close so I know the signal was sent. I will probably turn that off soon, once I trust the system is working as it should.
I recommend leaving the chime on. Ive had instances where Ive had to manually open or close my garage which throws off the homelink because it didnt open/close the garage previously. Basically sort of throws in out of sync. Without the chime I would have driven away with my garage open.

Just my .02

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
I have had bad luck with the auto-close feature not working consistently so I've disabled this feature. I just hit the icon on the screen to close once I back out. Pulling up for auto-open has been flawless and works over 100 feet away.