TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is HUD a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BravoSarah, Apr 19, 2016.

1. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

Am I the only one that thinks HUD is inferior to digital dash?

I'm really hoping for a digital dash. It's far easier to see, and looks a lot nicer imo.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  2. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

Not trying to be contrary or argumentative, but how do you know?

I love a digital dash too, but a well-executed HUD has the potential to be far superior. It can display more data, alert you to obstacles in your path before you can see them all while allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

I think we should wait and see what they have in mind, if anything :).

• Like x 6
  3. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

I just don't think I want anything in my line of sight.

• Like x 2
  4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

BravoSarah - Same comment as Pinski.....How do you know? This is New tech yet to be put into a automobile. Im sure old school helicopter pilots were like WTF is this HUD in my line of site....now it would be hard to imagine doing what Apache helicopter would do without it

5. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

Googles "Apache Hud"

• Like x 3
  6. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

.....after watching several seconds of Apache Hud videos I'm sold.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. yesup

yesup Member

You don't need to worry.

I don't think we would get either (HUD or instrument panel) for the base car.

Its center screen display is designed so that instrument panel is not necessary, and naturally, HUD is not necessary either.

There is a thread about how they can make a profit at $35,000. They really have to make the base car as simple to make and at the lowest cost possible,
    And the center screen design achieves just that.

People here automatically assume that there is a secondary display or HUD - I see no basis for that.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  8. Automaton

Automaton Member

Since it seems Tesla is all about the upgrades, I think you might be right that any HUD would be an additional cost item.

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I would imagine, like most things you can turn it off... or put a piece of electrical tape over the projector ;) that's how I fixed my damn VCR.

• Funny x 1
  10. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Has been put into production cars:

But I agree that you´d have to experience it before you can really decide what you like. But I could imagine that it might be a matter of taste in the end.

I do believe that all Model 3 will get it. Just does seem ergonomic to me to have everything in the center screen only. And having a regular instrument panel after all would go against Elon´s rule to not have something in a prototype (or in this case: hint it) but don´t take it to production. Also, he said it will make sense at the second reveal - which kind of means it doesn´t make sense with just the center screen from his point of view.

11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

You could have just set the clock to the correct time and it would have stopped blinking 12:00 annoyingly. ;)

12. Pinarello

Pinarello Member

Never used a HUD before but think I could get used to it and really like it. I do like my digital dash, but think I could easily make the transition to a quality HUD display.

• Like x 1
  13. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

#13 M0DEL³, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    That is a good question: If a Model 3 HUD is comparable to most of the existing HUD's to date, I agree that a DD is a better solution. But I believe that until we see what, if anything, Tesla has in mind, it's premature to have an opinion. My primary gripe with HUD's to date is contrast failure against certain backgrounds. If they were to solve that effectively I think a HUD with the configurability of a DD could be quite nice. Tesla's hiring of Feliz Godard is a hint of possibly interesting development in this area.

14. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

I always thought that the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development was a bad idea.

• Funny x 3
  15. Luke42

Luke42 Member

#15 Luke42, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Having your eyes on the road is not the same thing as seeing what your eyes are pointed at.

A quick demo showing how this works:

Careful design in the HUD software will be required to make sure that it doesn't encourage you to ignore the things that your eyes are pointed at. For instance, highlighting obstacles on the HUD should be OK, but putting the text of a novel on the screen would be a disaster.

This effect has been shown with aircraft HUDs in flight simulators as well. If I remember correctly, they tasked a pilot with flying an instrument approach. When the airplane popped out the the cloud at minimums, most people kept right on looking at the ILS needles on to HUD and flew right in to an enormous cargo jet that had pulled on to th active runway a few seconds early.

I personally believe that it's possible to engineer around these human factors limitations, BUT the engineer's designing the system have to be made aware of them in order for that to happen.

Disclaimer: My wife just earned a PHD in the subject. She can speak to this with much greater authority and specificity than I can. If she disagrees with me on anything I said, she's right. Oh, and she would love to work on this problem at Tesla.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  16. Luke42

Luke42 Member

Maybe that's why politicians don't understand engineers when the engineers are talking.... ;-)

17. Seir

Seir Member

So long as the HUD doesn't have pop-up ads, I'm in :)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

Actually, looking at the HUD in this video, I can get use to that. I just had visions of lines and crosshairs all over the windshield! Lol.

19. BMW ///M3

BMW ///M3 Banned

HUD was designed for fighter pilot, the whole intention is so that they don't have to look elsewhere (focus) while fighting.

DD is just another dash, nothing fancy about them.

I drove plenty of BMW with HUD, to me HUD is a must for a modern car. In fact, for a 120k car like 90d model S without HUD is kinda laughable.

• Like x 1
  20. JTwo

JTwo New Member

They've running them in Corvettes for the last 10-11 years.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1