Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is HUD a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to be contrary or argumentative, but how do you know?

I love a digital dash too, but a well-executed HUD has the potential to be far superior. It can display more data, alert you to obstacles in your path before you can see them all while allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

I think we should wait and see what they have in mind, if anything :).

BravoSarah - Same comment as Pinski.....How do you know? This is New tech yet to be put into a automobile. Im sure old school helicopter pilots were like WTF is this HUD in my line of site....now it would be hard to imagine doing what Apache helicopter would do without it

You don't need to worry.

I don't think we would get either (HUD or instrument panel) for the base car.

Its center screen display is designed so that instrument panel is not necessary, and naturally, HUD is not necessary either.

There is a thread about how they can make a profit at $35,000. They really have to make the base car as simple to make and at the lowest cost possible,
And the center screen design achieves just that.

People here automatically assume that there is a secondary display or HUD - I see no basis for that.

You don't need to worry.

I don't think we would get either (HUD or instrument panel) for the base car.

Its center screen display is designed so that instrument panel is not necessary, and naturally, HUD is not necessary either.

There is a thread about how they can make a profit at $35,000. They really have to make the base car as simple to make and at the lowest cost possible,
And the center screen design achieves just that.

People here automatically assume that there is a secondary display or HUD - I see no basis for that.
Since it seems Tesla is all about the upgrades, I think you might be right that any HUD would be an additional cost item.

This is New tech yet to be put into a automobile.

Has been put into production cars:

But I agree that you´d have to experience it before you can really decide what you like. But I could imagine that it might be a matter of taste in the end.

I do believe that all Model 3 will get it. Just does seem ergonomic to me to have everything in the center screen only. And having a regular instrument panel after all would go against Elon´s rule to not have something in a prototype (or in this case: hint it) but don´t take it to production. Also, he said it will make sense at the second reveal - which kind of means it doesn´t make sense with just the center screen from his point of view.

Am I the only one that thinks HUD is inferior to digital dash?.

That is a good question: If a Model 3 HUD is comparable to most of the existing HUD's to date, I agree that a DD is a better solution. But I believe that until we see what, if anything, Tesla has in mind, it's premature to have an opinion. My primary gripe with HUD's to date is contrast failure against certain backgrounds. If they were to solve that effectively I think a HUD with the configurability of a DD could be quite nice. Tesla's hiring of Feliz Godard is a hint of possibly interesting development in this area.

Last edited:
...all while allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

Having your eyes on the road is not the same thing as seeing what your eyes are pointed at.

A quick demo showing how this works:

Careful design in the HUD software will be required to make sure that it doesn't encourage you to ignore the things that your eyes are pointed at. For instance, highlighting obstacles on the HUD should be OK, but putting the text of a novel on the screen would be a disaster.

This effect has been shown with aircraft HUDs in flight simulators as well. If I remember correctly, they tasked a pilot with flying an instrument approach. When the airplane popped out the the cloud at minimums, most people kept right on looking at the ILS needles on to HUD and flew right in to an enormous cargo jet that had pulled on to th active runway a few seconds early.

I personally believe that it's possible to engineer around these human factors limitations, BUT the engineer's designing the system have to be made aware of them in order for that to happen.

Disclaimer: My wife just earned a PHD in the subject. She can speak to this with much greater authority and specificity than I can. If she disagrees with me on anything I said, she's right. Oh, and she would love to work on this problem at Tesla.

Last edited:
Has been put into production cars:

But I agree that you´d have to experience it before you can really decide what you like. But I could imagine that it might be a matter of taste in the end.

I do believe that all Model 3 will get it. Just does seem ergonomic to me to have everything in the center screen only. And having a regular instrument panel after all would go against Elon´s rule to not have something in a prototype (or in this case: hint it) but don´t take it to production. Also, he said it will make sense at the second reveal - which kind of means it doesn´t make sense with just the center screen from his point of view.

Actually, looking at the HUD in this video, I can get use to that. I just had visions of lines and crosshairs all over the windshield! Lol.

HUD was designed for fighter pilot, the whole intention is so that they don't have to look elsewhere (focus) while fighting.

DD is just another dash, nothing fancy about them.

I drove plenty of BMW with HUD, to me HUD is a must for a modern car. In fact, for a 120k car like 90d model S without HUD is kinda laughable.

Reactions: UKM3