Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is HUD a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the HUD is definitely a plus in my book just as long as it doesn't block your line of sight of the road.it definitely helps when using navigation. my current car has it and I wish I got it for my wife's 2016 Volvo xc90 which has the digital dash that shows the navigation on the screen. safer to keep your head up than looking at the digital dash. my 2 cents

I've played with HUDs in commercial jets before, and they are pretty neat. Of course the trouble with those ones is the large slab of glass in your face, and having to have your head in a very precise location in order to see the images projected on it properly. I'm sure Tesla won't have that problem, having head tracking to tweak the image on the windscreen as required (if required) and all that. A well made HUD system is extremely good. But a poorly made one is horrible.

Hopefully the driver would be able to disable the HUD and revert to the demo system with the speed in the top-left of the centre screen. I prefer a HUD myself, but having that backup is reassuring.

Reactions: Luke42
Hopefully the driver would be able to disable the HUD and revert to the demo system with the speed in the top-left of the centre screen. I prefer a HUD myself, but having that backup is reassuring.
I'm pretty sure that even if a HUD is added, the speed will continue to be displayed on the center screen. That's how it works in other cars anyways (having the HUD on doesn't mean the dash is off).

• Informative
Reactions: Thalass
I've played with HUDs in commercial jets before, and they are pretty neat. Of course the trouble with those ones is the large slab of glass in your face, and having to have your head in a very precise location in order to see the images projected on it properly.

Car HUD is nothing like those in commercial jets.
In commercial jets, HUD displays info which overlays graphics directly over your line of vision - e.g. the horizon, runways etc. So it has much bigger angle of view.
For car HUD, as least those implemented so far, the display occupies just a small area of your vision. It makes no attempt to overlay graphics over real life objects. So for example, BMW HUD image appears just in front of the car above the hood on the left (in LHD cars), and the speedometer reading not in the way when you look at the car in front. It only displays larger graphics more in the center when it displays navigation info etc

You may see some concept car HUD video about "augmented reality" which overlays graphics on real life objects (roads, ramps...) , but no production car has it yet.

Reactions: Thalass
Sheesh, I hope they keep it simple. I don't want no augmented reality when I'm driving to work. :p A plain old speedometer and kW meter will do fine for me, HUD or no HUD, as long as it isn't ... ugh, another distraction and something else to go wrong!:eek:

At any rate, if the Fiat guy and the rest of the industry aren't sure how Tesla is doing a $35k electric car, the insides can't be crazy overdone. Maybe a small, simple, friendly HUD? :)

Sheesh, I hope they keep it simple. I don't want no augmented reality when I'm driving to work. :p A plain old speedometer and kW meter will do fine for me, HUD or no HUD, as long as it isn't ... ugh, another distraction and something else to go wrong!:eek:

At any rate, if the Fiat guy and the rest of the industry aren't sure how Tesla is doing a $35k electric car, the insides can't be crazy overdone. Maybe a small, simple, friendly HUD? :)
Augmented reality is a vile idea. It'd be a deal killer for me. It'd also be way too distracting for a driver. Heck, I felt an urge to deck anyone with Google Glasses, and people want that in a car?

Reactions: int32_t
Is HUD a bad idea?

I think HUD is a bad idea if it either:
a) delays the production of the Model 3, or
b) functions terribly or breaks down often.
I'm so tired of having to make apologies for the bad press the Model X is getting for the delayed production, faulty falcon wing doors, and poor craftsmanship of the cars being delivered. What Tesla does NOT need is another fiasco like that. Personally, I would love more "cowbell", but not at the expense of Tesla getting more bad press. The Model 3 launch needs to be perfect.

Reactions: lklundin
They've been in cars longer than that. Recently heard a podcast, and a guy mentioned his 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (I think that was the model) had a HUD, granted it's basic. So the tech isn't new. It all depends how detailed the HUD could be.

Reactions: Pdub2015

The Model 3 at the unveil certainly looked like it could accommodate a HUD.

My questions are:

To keep the base model simple and profitable at the promised price, will a HUD be optional?

That is, will the Model 3 as we saw it be acceptable for drivers who want a simple car?

Further, with the recent new hire, it is pretty certain that Tesla Motor's are developing a HUD.

So assuming that they develop one for the Model 3, what would it actually cost to include it even in the standard version of the model 3, i.e. what would be the marginal cost to Tesla of a Model 3 HUD?

My thoughts exactly - I bet HUD could be cheaper than a DD. My 2004 545 had one as an option. I'm sure it was $1500 back then and I remember thinking how stupid expensive that was for what it was. It was black and white and displayed speed and nav directions.

The cost was a fancy windshield - presumably metallic or something reflective - since I believe the same conversations were happening regarding EZ pass toll boxes as happens now with the S. So I'm thinking that the windshield would be reflective anyway. I'm thinking a volume cost on the HUD could be $50 for Tesla and the option price could be $1000.

I have to say - unlike some people here - I wouldn't mind an overlay. The autopilot view of what the car sees overlayed on reality. It could be done well but would be a big area and would increase cost. I would think it would be switchable. Tesla sees us gradually giving up control to the car. That is a challenge and an overlay could help in the transition

You don't need to worry.

I don't think we would get either (HUD or instrument panel) for the base car.

Its center screen display is designed so that instrument panel is not necessary, and naturally, HUD is not necessary either.

There is a thread about how they can make a profit at $35,000. They really have to make the base car as simple to make and at the lowest cost possible,
And the center screen design achieves just that.

People here automatically assume that there is a secondary display or HUD - I see no basis for that.

This seems to be the point missed by most.
I would add that the vehicle will be largely capable of driving itself, so the management, safety and navigation systems are doing all the work. Consequently, there's little need to have a wall of dials, gauges and warning lamps.

No.
HUDs are cheap. Much cheaper than an instrument cluster. You can even buy an aftermarket HUD for your current car for $50-$60 (go to Amazon and search for HUD).

Those types of HUDs you see on Amazon aren't collimated - the image focal point is on the windshield itself. It's pretty much just a display that gets reflected.

With a proper HUD you want the image focal point at infinity, so that the image appears as if the image is overlaid on the road in the distance, not on the windshield. The entire point of the HUD is that your eyes don't have to refocus between the road and the display.

To make a collimated HUD requires a physically larger device since you need a couple of lenses and mirrors. I don't think it needs to be thousands of dollars, but it won't be $50.