Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it a problem to leave the PW at 100% Backup Reserve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tintop

Sep 14, 2021
PA
I have Tesla solar panels with 1 PW+, awaiting PTO.

My plan is to maintain the PW at 100% Backup Reserve mode. Net metering credits will be used to offset electrical costs during non-daylight hours.

Does maintaining the PW at 100% for an extended period of time affect the batteries' efficiency, lifespan, etc.?

Should I periodically allow the PW to run down to, say, 20% and then charge backup as part of PW "maintenance"?

I've done this with my laptop, electric razor, etc. (all lithium ion), should I do this with the PW?

Thanks.

Reactions: Pearl1!
You might want to investigate setting a low threshold for self-powered mode (say 90%) just to exercise the functionality of the whole system and know that everything's working properly, while still keeping a substantial reserve for outages (which for you it sounds like that is a priority - same here.)

I don't know about going as low as 20% though. Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be deeply discharged. Of course, in an emergency/outage scenario, you don't have any choice, but for everyday/sunny-day scenarios, I would avoid going that low.

Also remember that all battery chemistries (and especially Lithium-based battery chemistries) will slowly self-discharge over time, even if there is no load. Mine typically have to self-discharge down to about 95% or so before they recharge to full capacity. So you might as well use self-powered mode even a little bit as I suggest above, because your batteries are going to discharge one way or the other....

Fruitcake