Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it bad to supercharge all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am moving to an apartment (getting divorced) and they don't have a charger there like I have at my current house so I will have to use Superchargers all the time. Is this a bad thing for the battery? I have a Level 2 charger at my current house but I won't have that at my new apartment. What else can I do and is supercharging the only way I can charge my car?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ouch about the divorce part. I think you should be fine as the cars were designed to be used in those SuperChargers. I would still try and "balance out" with L2 when you can. We sold our last house 6 yrs ago to move to a penthouse apartment (rental). They were forward thinkers and installed my L2 charger at n/c and don’t even meter me. This was a criteria in our selection process.

Reactions: navguy12
Yes supercharging only is not good for your battery life. It will increase degradation. You will get notifications from Tesla about supercharging too much.
Really? Is this something new? Over the last 7 years I have probably had over 75% charging from SuperChargers. I have yet to receive a birthday card from Tesla let alone notifications that I am supercharging too often.

Yes supercharging only is not good for your battery life. It will increase degradation. You will get notifications from Tesla about supercharging too much.

Im not sure if this is supposed to be satire or you are just mixing up different things on accident. There is no notification at all, EVER on a tesla for "supercharging too much". There is a notification on teslas that charge to 100% all the time (which is ABSOLUTELY not the same thing as supercharging all the time) so perhaps that is what you mixed up with this.

If it was ment to be a joke, it didnt land.

Back to the OP. OP, lots of people supercharge their teslas as a primary form of charging. Its not as good as charging at home, but your car is not going to explode. The only other choice you have is to look for a level 2 charger, AND park there for extended periods of time to charge on a level 2 (non fast) charger.

You likely have enough on your mind with whatever is going on with your personal life related to what you shared, that worrying about "is supercharging all the time destroying my car" (which it isnt) shouldnt be a thing. Just charge at the supercharger, and try to avoid using sentry mode since it causes additional power drain just sitting there (thus will cause you to need to supercharge more to replace that used power that was used just sitting there in sentry mode).

Im not sure if this is supposed to be satire or you are just mixing up different things on accident. There is no notification at all, EVER on a tesla for "supercharging too much". There is a notification on teslas that charge to 100% all the time (which is ABSOLUTELY not the same thing as supercharging all the time) so perhaps that is what you mixed up with this.
They did at one point send out notifications to people that had free lifetime supercharging that were just charging a ton near their house, most of which was because it was free, not because they had to.

Yes it is worse for degradation, but it doesn't kill the battery.

I'd say that the main problem with Supercharging as your only source of charging is the cost of charging. But, you're getting divorced so the extra cost is probably small in comparison to other costs.

They did at one point send out notifications to people that had free lifetime supercharging that were just charging a ton near their house, most of which was because it was free, not because they had to.
I believe this happened circa 2015. By the time I bought my MS in 2016 I was, by necessity, supercharging almost exclusively within 20 miles of my house and never heard a peep out of Tesla. And at that time customer service was such that it wouldn't have surprised me to receive a birthday card; received an enormous swag bag upon delivery.

Reactions: SigNC
if you have no alternative then 1) use the navigation to go to the supercharger so it will start to precondition
2) charge at the end of a drive when the battery is warmer. I.e. don't go first thing in the morning to 'fill up'.

The damage from supercharging is more at lower battery temperatures---or very high temperatures.

If your new accommodations has even 120V that can be enough for a while, and I would use that as much as I can.

Personally I would work to find a place to live that has L2 charging in any capability before Michigan winters.

Reactions: navguy12
Not an issue in the short run.

Technical:
Supercharging causes lithium plating
Lithium plating causes short circuits on the cells.
The issue probably will not even show as more degradation until late innthe battery life.

You can do a lot of supercharging sessions without any issue but eventually ( 100K miles or more or so) there might develope problems.

Reactions: Resist

If it was ment to be a joke, it didnt land.

Back to the OP. OP, lots of people supercharge their teslas as a primary form of charging. Its not as good as charging at home, but your car is not going to explode. The only other choice you have is to look for a level 2 charger, AND park there for extended periods of time to charge on a level 2 (non fast) charger.

You likely have enough on your mind with whatever is going on with your personal life related to what you shared, that worrying about "is supercharging all the time destroying my car" (which it isnt) shouldnt be a thing. Just charge at the supercharger, and try to avoid using sentry mode since it causes additional power drain just sitting there (thus will cause you to need to supercharge more to replace that used power that was used just sitting there in sentry mode).

My 2021 model 3 battery just died with 36k miles on it. I don’t use a supercharger often at all but the service guy did state that supercharging solely daily is not good for the battery. That’s from their mouth.

Reactions: cdswm3