Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it beneficial to periodically charge to 100% SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 85, 4 years old, 43K mileage:

The last time I charged to 100% was a year ago (June 7, 2018). It charged to 265 miles to my surprise.

After 2019.16.x, the car shows 135 miles @55%.

The extrapolation: 245 miles at 100% (7.5% loss) ?

Model S 85, 4 years old, 43K mileage:

The last time I charged to 100% was a year ago (June 7, 2018). It charged to 265 miles to my surprise.

After 2019.16.x, the car shows 135 miles @55%.

The extrapolation: 245 miles at 100% (7.5% loss) ?

I would not bother with trying to extract meaning from that level of extrapolation.

If you want to know what your current max range is, charge to 100%.

I find this topic very insightful! Is there a benefit to setting our charging rates lower than the max "48" that the Tesla Wall Adaptor allows to better allow battery balancing? I've always been curious why Tesla allowed users to set a slower speed.

I find this topic very insightful! Is there a benefit to setting our charging rates lower than the max "48" that the Tesla Wall Adaptor allows to better allow battery balancing?
No.

I've always been curious why Tesla allowed users to set a slower speed.
Convenience / safety I suppose. This isn't so much true with the larger/faster dedicated circuits, but on the lower end, say you have a shared 20 amp circuit and you're charging on a 5-20 adapter, which will try and pull 16 amps by default, but the other loads on that circuit are enough that you occasionally trip the breaker. Manually backing it off to 12 might stop that from happening.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Rick M
I find this topic very insightful! Is there a benefit to setting our charging rates lower than the max "48" that the Tesla Wall Adaptor allows to better allow battery balancing? I've always been curious why Tesla allowed users to set a slower speed.
No benefit to the battery. One reason for the ability to lower the amps is to accommodate circuits with bad wiring that can’t handle the full load— for example you might plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet at a RV park and instead of the default 32A for the Gen 2 UMC or 40A for Gen 1, you might have to turn the amps down to 24A to prevent the circuit breaker from tripping.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Rick M
I would not bother with trying to extract meaning from that level of extrapolation.

If you want to know what your current max range is, charge to 100%.

Understood. But, as I mentioned, I did charge to 100% exactly a year ago and the car completed charging at astonishing 265 miles (the car was 3.5 years old at that time). The 265 miles was the RM when the car was brand new, so no loss after 3.5 years? I actually did not believe that number at that time and for the same reason a bit hesitant to believe whatever the car would show if I charge to 100% now. You see my point?