Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it better to charge few miles everyday or all in one shot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have access to charger at work and can charge to top off everyday or let it run down to about 30% and charge all day. What would be better in long run or it doesn't matter really as long as the car isnt charged to 100% all the time and run down to 0%.

I would encourage you to RTFM, which has the answer to this and many other questions new Tesla owners have. Especially read the battery section. The short answer is plug in when you can, don’t wait until the charge gets low.

Tesla used to pass out a card that said “A connected Model S is a happy Model S”. The same is true for a Model 3.
A connected Model S is a happy Model S

A few miles every day is best. Besides being better for the battery, starting every day with a full tank (e.g. full daily charge) means that you never worry if some emergency should come up.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I would encourage you to RTFM, which has the answer to this and many other questions new Tesla owners have. Especially read the battery section. The short answer is plug in when you can, don’t wait until the charge gets low.

Tesla used to pass out a card that said “A connected Model S is a happy Model S”. The same is true for a Model 3.
A connected Model S is a happy Model S
Thx for the link.. What is RTFM? Still not familiar with all the acronyms.

Charging is like voting. Do it early and often.

Edit for more useful info:
On a serious note, if you're only driving a few miles a day (which I'm guessing is the case if you can go multiple days without charging), your battery will last longest if you keep it close to 50%.

If you need 10%/day, you can:
  1. Charge weekly to 90%, drive down to 20%, then repeat.
  2. Charge daily to 90%, drive down to 80%, then repeat.
  3. Charge daily to 55%, drive down to 45%, then repeat.
#3 is best for battery longevity. It does mean you may have an issue if you need to do on a sudden unexpected trip.

Generally, I charge my S to 60-70% overnight. I go higher if I have a trip the next day, but I have a local supercharger if an unexpected need arises.

Last edited:
Charging is like voting. Do it early and often.

Edit for more useful info:
On a serious note, if you're only driving a few miles a day (which I'm guessing is the case if you can go multiple days without charging), your battery will last longest if you keep it close to 50%.

If you need 10%/day, you can:
  1. Charge weekly to 90%, drive down to 20%, then repeat.
  2. Charge daily to 90%, drive down to 80%, then repeat.
  3. Charge daily to 55%, drive down to 45%, then repeat.
#3 is best for battery longevity. It does mean you may have an issue if you need to do on a sudden unexpected trip.

Generally, I charge my S to 60-70% overnight. I go higher if I have a trip the next day, but I have a local supercharger if an unexpected need arises.
Unnecessarily complicated for mainstream owners. There may be statistically significant difference in battery experiments with different charge levels, but no one has shown any meaningful difference in range with the Model S after many years regardless of usual charge level within the daily range.

Owners shouldn’t have to think about the battery or what charge they will need the next day. Just set it to 90% and leave it there unless you’re going out of town.

Unnecessarily complicated for mainstream owners. There may be statistically significant difference in battery experiments with different charge levels, but no one has shown any meaningful difference in range with the Model S after many years regardless of usual charge level within the daily range.
True. I didn't mention that I'm unnecessarily anal about this stuff...

OTOH, I wonder how many people on an enthusiast car forum count as "mainstream." ;)

yes, 80% would be better
What do you mean by “better”? Is it that in 10 years you might see a difference of a mile or two in range? Because regardless of what you read about battery experiments, in the real world of Tesla driving there hasn’t been any meaningful difference in battery degradation seen after five years of people typically charging to 80% or 90%.

My Model S only lost 5% of range after 5 years of daily charging to 90% and charging to 100% many times for trips. You’re not going to do better than that.

The early Model S firmware only had two settings, 92% for daily and 100% for trip. The slider giving the ability to lower the daily setting exists because of stupid EPA policy of averaging a daily and trip range together— so if there aren’t two settings, there’s nothing to average and Tesla got to advertise the 100% range.