Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it better to charge few miles everyday or all in one shot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if there is any problem with plugging in for repeated short charges. For example, if I go to a restaurant and charge for an hour, then go to the grocery store and charge for 45 minutes, then the gym for an hour... so 3 different charging sessions. All of them are level 2 chargers.

Curious if there is any problem with plugging in for repeated short charges. For example, if I go to a restaurant and charge for an hour, then go to the grocery store and charge for 45 minutes, then the gym for an hour... so 3 different charging sessions. All of them are level 2 chargers.
No problem. What part of “A connected Model S is a happy Model S” do people not understand?
Plug in when you can, let the battery management system manage the battery, and just enjoy the car.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I have a pretty short commute, so I set the limit to 80% and charge twice a week (Sun night and Fri night). It rarely goes below 40% on this schedule. I know the battery doesn't care if it's topped off all the time, but it saves me time most days and I figure my charging cable and socket might last longer? :p

I have free charging at one of my work locations but I only go to that work location once per week. I am generally able to top-off any usage I have had for the week up to 80% when I go to that location so in order to save some extra $'s, I can technically avoid charging at home but I know that the manual says charge as often as possible. I struggle with the question of whether or not saving the $'s by not charging at home is worth the potential wear on the battery on this schedule.

Anyone have any comments/thoughts about this schedule? For now, I am not putting much mileage on the car so I can easily go two weeks from 80% if I wanted to without charging (which I would never do).

I can technically avoid charging at home but I know that the manual says charge as often as possible. I struggle with the question of whether or not saving the $'s by not charging at home is worth the potential wear on the battery on this schedule.
There isn't potential wear on the battery as long as you are keeping it somewhat away from the extreme high or low of the charge levels. So if you are waiting a bit and recharging when it's down near like 30% or something, that's fine--it's not really helping or hurting anything. It helps to understand the reason why the Tesla manual says to plug it in all the time. There seemed to be this widespread colloquial tribal knowledge that was really not applicable to Teslas that keeping an electrical device plugged in all the time was going to somehow damage the battery, and Tesla is trying to dispel that myth by telling people they can plug in as often as they want and that they don't need to avoid charge and make it get low on purpose, etc. But the recommendation to plug in all the time is more about the owner's convenience of use. If you're trying to do this unnecessary avoiding of charging, it might be low, and then you need to drive a bit extra far on a particular day, and you have just created a huge hassle for yourself because you didn't have enough range. So this is really them saying that you can just keep it plugged in as much as you want, so it's always ready with enough range for you to drive.