Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it common knowledge that wheel spacers reduce range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if say 15mm front 20mm rear would produce enough drag that it could affect range in any significant way? Standing directly over the top of the fender it's flush but down low next to the body side you can see more of the tires sticking out. Just wondering if for longer trips it's best to take them off or is 15/20 is just nowhere big enough of a spacer to cause any noticeable range loss.

Thanks!

Ok cool. I had them on for a little while and the other day took a pretty good drive. Went 83 miles but my car used 132 miles worth of range and I wasn't sure if it was the extra drag since most of it was the highway. Probably the wife having the heat on.
Perhaps a longer term monitoring will you a better idea if there is really any increase in energy consumption. I plan to go with a more offset wheels myself in a few months(+5) so it's like taking off 5mm spacers at all four corners. It will be interesting to know what I find.

Reactions: Dysan911
Ok cool. I had them on for a little while and the other day took a pretty good drive. Went 83 miles but my car used 132 miles worth of range and I wasn't sure if it was the extra drag since most of it was the highway. Probably the wife having the heat on.
When the wife turns up the heat, I drive faster and range goes down a lot. Your increased drag is not likely to be much except for high speed. Tire choice/size can be more significant

When the wife turns up the heat, I drive faster and range goes down a lot. Your increased drag is not likely to be much except for high speed. Tire choice/size can be more significant
I am on 265/40/18 on 18x9.5 et30. It's a total wash vs the OE 20's, but I also have the UPP efficiency front lip and rear spoiler. Vehicle is also lowered about 7/8" front and 1/2" rear.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Might be splitting hairs with this one but...

Perhaps even the additional *weight* of the spacer could reduce range/efficiency (in some small but potentially measurable way) simply by adding a bit of rotational mass.

I was wondering this as well. The weight of each spacer adds about 2+lbs of unsprung weight to each wheel and I'm running the 19in sport wheels so already heavy enough compared to the 18 Aero's.

I was wondering if anyone did some range assessment/comparison with the wheel spacers. I recently bought a used Model 3 and it has spacers. I recently noticed this after going on a lengthy trip, and am wondering if removing would have been beneficial.

In any case, I will do some research on my own and report back to the forums.

I was wondering if anyone did some range assessment/comparison with the wheel spacers. I recently bought a used Model 3 and it has spacers. I recently noticed this after going on a lengthy trip, and am wondering if removing would have been beneficial.

In any case, I will do some research on my own and report back to the forums.

As long as the spacers aren't pushing the tire out past your fenders I wouldn't worry about it. There could be negative effects, or positive effects, none are going to be big.

I just recently acquired some new spacers again and my commute to and from work is pretty much very predictable in regards to the amount of range I use and literally no discernable difference since putting on the spacers. So I agree with everyone that if there is any loss of range it may be fractional.