Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it Conceivable to Go Back to ICE After Driving a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inasmuch as Tesla Motors has given every indication, both publicly and privately, that their priorities do not include any consideration for those who need to drive between Alaska and the lesser-48, even in Musk-time, I likewise have given up all consideration of buying only EVs from now on. THIS is what I have just picked up as our new long-distance sojourner.

Now, given that it is one of the top ten Land Cruisers I ever have laid my eyes on - out of many, many hundreds and possibly thousands - I don't consider it much of a sacrifice. AND, if and when TM sees the light and provides a real pickup truck, I should be able to sell this for about one-half what I'm expecting a Tesla-truck to go for, so that also will be fine.
IMG_2497.jpg
PICS-8-10 154.jpg
PICS-8-10 155.jpg

I love the P85DL, and I have three older but high-end ICE cars sitting in the garage not being driven, but the Tesla still doesn't do it for the 600 mile trip with the kid and dog to visit relatives. Going through four superchargers is not my idea of fun. So we have one ICE car (Range Rover) that gets some use. Also, when terrorists finally hack the electric grid it's nice to have a backup plan for transportation.

I agree and have this for when I want to shift through gears. Gas is for antiques and nostalgia. I hate even having a rental for a couple of days . . . the transmissions jerkiness is horrible! I actually bought this bike with my $7,500 federal tax credit for buying my Volt!
20160203_183150.jpg

I love the P85DL, and I have three older but high-end ICE cars sitting in the garage not being driven, but the Tesla still doesn't do it for the 600 mile trip with the kid and dog to visit relatives. Going through four superchargers is not my idea of fun. So we have one ICE car (Range Rover) that gets some use. Also, when terrorists finally hack the electric grid it's nice to have a backup plan for transportation.

We just drove 500 miles south in a day, back a day later. Superchargers work well. We drove a couple hours (75 and 80), stopped for a drink and bathroom break. By the time we had finished, the car had well over what it needed to make the next stop, which was lunch. Sit down meal in a restaurant takes a good 40 minutes, or more. Car had well over what it needed to go the next leg, at which it was Yogurt. Each of these stops included a short walk to the venue, which made everyone feel better.

I used to go 600, 700, 800 miles in a day. Kids or no kids, it gets REALLY boring, tiring, really old after a couple hours. Supercharger stops are life savers. I don't understand the problem with kids at superchargers: What do they do all day in the Range Rover? You give them drugs? You have catheters? And superchargers don't let you walk somewhere?

We don't eat in our car. I know that a lot of parents feel their precious lambs must have something in their mouths at all times, but we really aren't built that way, and scheduled stops don't seem to cause any troubles.

And, yeah, the grid powers the fueling stations. Unless you have several drums of gas above ground, I don't see the benefit. My solar works with or without the grid.

But whatever works for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Inasmuch as Tesla Motors has given every indication, both publicly and privately, that their priorities do not include any consideration for those who need to drive between Alaska and the lesser-48, even in Musk-time, I likewise have given up all consideration of buying only EVs from now on. THIS is what I have just picked up as our new long-distance sojourner.

But, But,, How will you SEE at night? I'd put more lights on it.

This has probably been said before, but I think it depends on what is meant by "go back to." I certainly will not go back to a conventional vehicle for every day driving. That would be miserable. However, I will drive them on occasion for nostalgia's sake. I will never sell my air-cooled 911, although it's more of an investment than anything else at this point. Also, there currently is no electric solution for long distance towing. I know the X has some towing capacity, but not enough for my race car trailer and I'm still not sure how you would charge without unhooking. That would be a pain. So, I think it is clear that EVs are the superior technology and will absolutely be the future of all motoring. However, until some of us older car guys are gone, there will still be people driving piston-engined cars on occasion just for fun:) Also, I'm interested to see how the brilliant folks of the world solve the long haul issue (extra batteries built into trailers, etc.).

- - - Updated - - -
But, But,, How will you SEE at night? I'd put more lights on it.
Heh heh.
I'll use this to include what I neglected in my post: it's a 1988 FJ62; purchased from its original owner who is a movie producer; he had it set up on Day One to film the Baja races and so it is terrifically decked out, as well as being in pristine shape.

And as far as the light is concerned...not what you were referring to but the interior's blackout curtains are so perfect, they could and did change film in it in broad daylight. So it's going to be ​great to do the kind of "camping" we do between AK and AZ.

How would you pump gasoline without the power to pump it into your car? When Katrna hit my in-laws were over 20 days before they could get gasoline without a 100 mile plus drive and even those stations were closed for the first 10 days.

And, yeah, the grid powers the fueling stations. Unless you have several drums of gas above ground, I don't see the benefit. My solar works with or without the grid.

But whatever works for you.

Very, very good point! Except .....

IMG_2496.JPG

..... that I have my own filling station. With 500 gallons underground. Where the pump can be served by the generator. Which is connected to a 1000 gallon underground propane tank.

But it's true it's not as long-lasting a solution as your solar power.

Having your own gas station takes away some of the inconvenience of ICE cars, but I still don't drive them since I got the tesla, which supports the conclusion of this thread. In fact I've used gasoline so little lately I'm afraid the alcohol will separate with time and it will go bad in the tank.

Last edited:
Just got back from a drive in the Ole Gas Burner.... Big smile on my face. The P85D is nice but 3K lbs and 600 hp it is not.

Of course what's left out is what kind of 3K lbs and 600HP car you were driving, and the cost. :) I'm pretty sure the brand started with an F, and it's not the faster on rolling downhill one.

I'm strongly considering on trading my Jeep Wrangler unlimited in on a BMW M2. My feeling is the M2 will convey the kind of feeling I got with the Porsche Cayman S. But, I'm concerned that I'll have the same problem as I have with the Jeep where I just don't drive it. The Jeep is awesome for Mountain Biking, going off road, etc. But, it's not nearly the daily commuter or road trip car as the Tesla is.

- - - Updated - - -

Very, very good point! Except .....

View attachment 113900

..... that I have my own filling station. With 500 gallons underground. Where the pump can be served by the generator. Which is connected to a 1000 gallon underground propane tank.

But it's true it's not as long-lasting a solution as your solar power.

Having your own gas station takes away some of the inconvenience of ICE cars, but I still don't drive them since I got the tesla, which supports the conclusion of this thread. In fact I've used gasoline so little lately I'm afraid the alcohol will separate with time and it will go bad in the tank.

What's the with dumbbell obsession? Do you really need that many dumbbells.

Until Tesla (or someone else) makes a full-sized electric pickup truck (not a hybrid), I'll have to go back to an ICE vehicle on occasion.

Doesn't a utility trailer do the same job for a fraction of the price? The X can tow, and it's possible that the refreshed Model S will be able to tow also. You can buy a used utility trailer for $1000 that can haul 5,000 pounds and it can be registered for $20 per year. You could also rent one from U-Haul for super cheap on the days you actually need it.

My wife considered an X but decided to get a Lexus RX360 instead. Half the cost and lower profile made it her choice. I drove the RX yesterday and can not imaging going back to ICE from my signature S85. It is SO much easier single-pedal-driving than dithering back and fort between gas and brake pedals. Plus its difficult to be smooth with the automatic transmission shifting all the time. If I was to have an ICE car that I would relish driving it would be manual transmission sports car (911S or Ferrari) strictly for fun. Otherwise nope, no ICE for me.

No. Actually pretty much true for any EV. Leaf owners and Volt owners are not willing to go back to ICE either. Most Volt owners really dislike it when they run out of EV only range and the ICE "range extending generator" kicks on.

That's certainly the truth, and the reason I have not been happier with my own Volt. Due to my unique driving needs, I end up driving my Volt 70+% on gas. Looking forward to later this month when I finally switch to a Model S. Problem solved!

The way things are right now, I can't ever see going back to gas. If Tesla were to go out of business, then I could see it. But Tesla seems pretty solid right now, so I don't think that will happen. Eventually, when other automakers reach the EV capabilities that Tesla already has, then gas is definitely out for good.

What's the with dumbbell obsession? Do you really need that many dumbbells.

I inherited the glass enclosed gym inside a structure that looks like a Greek temple -- and also the gas station -- when I bought the property eight years ago. And although I did enjoy lifting in college (long, long ago) I am pretty lazy now. Having it shames me into exercising every now and then.

ps - I think Lola's car starts with a Mc.

I owned a Toyota Camry Hybrid and went back to a regular ICE. That was painful enough. Now that I have a Model S, I can never imagine going back to an ICE. Besides all the greatness of the electric drive train performance, quiet ride, etc., what drives me crazy more than anything when driving one of my other ICE vehicles is the lack of the TACC and AutoPilot features. Sure you can get these on a few ICE vehicles, but those features combined with an EV are magic.

Thinking about buying my wife a Model X and my kids Models 3s.

Very, very good point! Except....that I have my own filling station. With 500 gallons underground....In fact I've used gasoline so little lately I'm afraid the alcohol will separate with time and it will go bad in the tank.
Unfortunately, sillyd, the frustrating thing is the gasoline definitely will go bad, even if you might be able to snag non-ethanol-containing gasoline (interestingly enough, we can't get gas with ethanol in it in AK), if you let it sit, even in the cool underground, for more than about a month.

I have no qualms in Alaska's climate about letting diesel, aka fuel oil #2, aka heating oil #2, sit for as long as about a year, and propane will last a lifetime. But gasoline...if you absolutely have to store it you can add stabilizer, but that's mighty expensive. The neatest thing to be able to accomplish, if you're trying to stave off the impending apocalypse, would be were you able to foist off - somewhere - the remnant of a 500-gallon tank at the end of each month and then fill it with the fresh stuff. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've absolutely no idea where to suggest you could continuously get rid of a couple of hundred (???) gallons of month-old gas every thirty days, although perhaps you do.

PS: I do store gasoline: I put a couple of hundred gallons in sealed 55-gallon barrels and make use of them over the course of about half a year. The vapors have no way of leaving the fluid and, since there's no ethanol, it doesn't "separate" (and the hygroscopic ethanol can't attract water moisture). But your u/g tank isn't sealed, unfortunately.

PPS: 'Course, if the apocalypse comes and you've those 500 gallons, you'll be good only until you've finished that off...and then the zombies will finish you off anyway, so you're still sunk.