Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it Conceivable to Go Back to ICE After Driving a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought to myself "if I buy a Tesla, I don't think I will ever go back to a "regular" car again."

Can anybody vouch for this? Is it even possible to return to an ICE vehicle after owning a Tesla?
I can't even stand to rent an ICE car. I can't even stand to borrow someone else's ICE car. It's kind of embarassing.

When I got back in an ICE (recently repaired from body damage) after driving the Tesla Model S for a few months, I said "Why is it shaking? Is there something wrong with it? We'll have to take it back to the repair shop!" My fiancee said, "Dear, I think it always did that."

:wink:

When other people offer to pick me up in their car, I offer to pick them up instead. Just so I don't have to get in an ICE car.

I can just about tolerate getting into an ICE-powered taxi or limo. If I *must*.

Really, it's that extreme. You will not want to go back to ICE cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like an overwhelming agreement. So what is "it" about Tesla or EV that makes you never want to go back?
It's better.

...OK, I'll unpack that a little. ICE cars shake violently all the time. They seem to want to move even when standing still. It's exhausting just being in them at all. They have sluggish acceleration. They have frighteningly sluggish deceleration, making me fear that the car won't stop when I take my foot off the gas. They have erratic response to the pedal, not linear response. The response is delayed, sluggish, non-responsive. They're loud. They stink to be around because of the fumes. They're unstable, with a poor center of gravity.

And you have to go to these weird stinky shops and pump stinky, carcinogenic slime into them. Regularly! Even in the cold! Outdoors! And you have to pay for the privilege!

And then there's all the crazy maintenance. "Oil changes", "timing belts", on and on and on. And the hood gets really hot.

Oh, and the heat doesn't come on for like ten minutes after you start driving in the morning, so you're freezing the whole time.

It's like going back from a sleek electric train to a steam locomotive. Except steam locomotives move more smoothly than ICE cars.

And is this the beginning of the end for ICE?
Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

...I feel safe stating I will never buy another ICE. If I am feeling nostalgic, I'd sooner buy a horse.
Great line. And I agree.

Last edited:
I do know one person who returned his S60, after only maybe 6 month (lease?), and opted to replace with an ICE. I dont remember exactly what his reason was, but I guess it means it does happen.
I considered buying an ICE when I was shopping for a second car (for my 16 year old, but I just couldnt make myself do it. We ended up with a Leaf instead. Even as I find myself getting irritated with the range limitation (which is fine for her driving needs), I know that I would still choose the Leaf over any ICE, to give my daughter. I love the fact that she can be the first generation to never experience an ICE from the driver's seat :). She already gives that sly grin when her older sister (poor college student) complains about not having enough gas money to make it to the next payday...
Angel

What are your thoughts on the Leaf?

For me, as a daily driver, I could not go back to ICE because I do not miss

1. gas stations
2. oil changes
3. fumes
4. noise
5. vibration
6 unpredictable (compared to the MS) throttle response
7. tailpipe emissions
8. keys (at least in my wife's ICE)
9. buttons galore on the dash
10. burning fuel uselessly in stopped traffic
11. Bonus - high cost of fueling even at current gas prices.

Yes, I don't even have a Model S or an electric and I'm starting to be annoyed with the noise, pollution, and poor performance of an ICE.

I can't even stand to rent an ICE car. I can't even stand to borrow someone else's ICE car. It's kind of embarassing.

When I got back in an ICE (recently repaired from body damage) after driving the Tesla Model S for a few months, I said "Why is it shaking? Is there something wrong with it? We'll have to take it back to the repair shop!" My fiancee said, "Dear, I think it always did that."

:wink:

When other people offer to pick me up in their car, I offer to pick them up instead. Just so I don't have to get in an ICE car.

I can just about tolerate getting into an ICE-powered taxi or limo. If I *must*.

Really, it's that extreme. You will not want to go back to ICE cars.

- - - Updated - - -

It's better.

...OK, I'll unpack that a little. ICE cars shake violently all the time. They seem to want to move even when standing still. It's exhausting just being in them at all. They have sluggish acceleration. They have frighteningly sluggish deceleration, making me fear that the car won't stop when I take my foot off the gas. They have erratic response to the pedal, not linear response. The response is delayed, sluggish, non-responsive. They're loud. They stink to be around because of the fumes. They're unstable, with a poor center of gravity.

And you have to go to these weird stinky shops and pump stinky, carcinogenic slime into them. Regularly! Even in the cold! Outdoors! And you have to pay for the privilege!

And then there's all the crazy maintenance. "Oil changes", "timing belts", on and on and on. And the hood gets really hot.

Oh, and the heat doesn't come on for like ten minutes after you start driving in the morning, so you're freezing the whole time.

It's like going back from a sleek electric train to a steam locomotive. Except steam locomotives move more smoothly than ICE cars.

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Great line. And I agree.

Awesome review and totally agree. Can't wait to get a Model 3

When you run out of electric range in the Volt and it switches to gas...

happy-sad.gif

Well put. It is kind of embarrassing. I got rear ended 6mo ago (on the interstate!) and I still haven't had it fixed in part because I don't want to have to drive an ICE for even a few days (also because it's minor enough that I barely notice it).

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like having both and going back and forth--the effortless, quiet, perhaps somewhat sterile Tesla experience, and the visceral experience of a two-seater with a V8, a manual transmission, and a throaty exhaust.

That could easily be mistaken for the new Model S coupe.
(Apart from those round tube things at the rear)... ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Size is a downside of Tesla. Can be tough to park. I went from a long quad pickup to an E class to a vw wagon, now a smart, and each time going to the grocery store got better.

S is big. Too big for me (and too low). Model 3 will solve this.

These are the same reasons I am waiting for the M3X. Hopefully Elon & crew will realize they can sell more small SUV's than sedans, and produce the small SUV first.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but one of the reasons I won't buy an ICE again is I don't like the frustrations of dealing with car dealers... order online, wait for delivery...can't be easier.

I totally agree. I don't ever want to deal with a third party for the purchase of a vehicle again. Just doesn't make any sense. I love Apple's direct-to-consumer sales approach; cut the middleman, cut the Bullsh*t.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but one of the reasons I won't buy an ICE again is I don't like the frustrations of dealing with car dealers... order online, wait for delivery...can't be easier.

Well, actually, this was a bit of a nightmare and very diffcult for me and a lot of other people, so um, no. Frankly, "check it out, buy it and drive it off the lot" IS easier. I did like getting exactly the options I wanted, though, so that's the upside of custom ordering.

I feel like I can contribute to this thread. My MS was backed into 6 days after delivery. It took Tesla 3 weeks to get the parts to the body shop, and then it took the body shop 30 days to repair it. So, imagine getting your Tesla...driving it for a month, then back in a rental ICE (Maxima....:rolleyes:) for a month. It was painful....

Also count me in I won't be getting another ICE.

Well, actually, this was a bit of a nightmare and very diffcult for me and a lot of other people, so um, no. Frankly, "check it out, buy it and drive it off the lot" IS easier. I did like getting exactly the options I wanted, though, so that's the upside of custom ordering.

It's not just easier, it's far less risky. My experience was to put down a deposit 14 months in advance, miss many, many deadlines. Finally when you get your car, weeks later they come significantly upgraded... To rub salt in the wounds you start getting threatening letters from the government repeatedly over incorrectly filed paperwork etc. etc.

I agree the dealership model isn't perfect, but this has been my worse car buying experience in 20 years :(

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like having both and going back and forth--the effortless, quiet, perhaps somewhat sterile Tesla experience, and the visceral experience of a two-seater with a V8, a manual transmission, and a throaty exhaust.

This

I have a 2 door ICE car and it may shake violently and make tons of noise, but good lord the beautiful sounds it makes while doing so!

Perhaps I'm showing my age here but I also like having a car that accelerates hard above 100mph (on a track of course!)

I don't see myself ever not having an EV. My 6 week old S convinced me of that.

But...

Sometimes I need to haul stuff. Right after getting the S I tried using it to haul several large bags of seed. One of the bags was not sealed and you can imagine the mess.

So I'll continue to use my trusty (it really is trusty) 500,000 km, 1994 Toyota pickup for hauling.

And then there's weather. I've enjoyed driving my S in the heavy rains we've been getting recently. Great handling. Love it.

But once the snow flies and the roads ice over I just don't see myself in the S on the worst days. Note that when I bought the S I also bought an extra set of wheels to put snow tires on. But while everything I've read tells me the S can handle it I just can't see myself subjecting Remonortsa (the car's name) to other drivers. Much better to get the truck dented and quickly fixed as opposed to Remonortsa getting dinged (awful thought) and spending seeks in the shop.

Oh, one other thing. Much as I love the network of chargers there are places out her in the west where you're lucky to find a gas station, let alone a charging station that isn't going to take couple of days to charge. No doubt that will change with time, but that time is not now.

BTW, unrelated to the topic but I had my S in my first ever car show today. So much fun to talk to people about the car. While it's still illegal to sell Teslas here in Utah I don't work for the company so I can talk the car up all I want and our dinosaur legislatures can't do anything about it. :)

Now go buy a Tesla!

This

I actually haul stuff (rocks, bags of sand, lumber, dirt) it may be outdated, but a pickup truck has its utility

Until Tesla (or someone else) makes a full-sized electric pickup truck (not a hybrid), I'll have to go back to an ICE vehicle on occasion.

This

For me, the Tesla its not exactly a road trip car (it is, but its not) If I take into account for stopping at supercharger stations just to keep the car going, I'd have to take additional time off work!

Ideally I would need 3 cars (no one car can fit all of my needs)

One to haul stuff
Very fast 2 door
Daily car

Is there a documented case, and maybe study, of someone willingly going back to ICE full time after owning/leasing a Model S?
I don't know of any studies, but there have been a handful TMC members who have gone back (or at least said they did) for one reason or another. The majority of them were because of either lifestyle or service issues.