Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it crazy to go with the 21" Arachnids in the Chicago area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snow tire options are limited (and expen$ive) in 21" size.

Consider getting a complete set of 19" wheels/snow tires and swapping out Spring and Fall. Discount tire will do the swap for free if you buy the set from them and will store the set you're not using for a fee....
I'll have to take a look at wheel options at discount tire. Love how the 21" arachnids look and would still like a nice looking wheel in 19".

I'm waiting for someone to make a set of all-season tires that will work on the 21" Arachnids...hopefully soon. Won't be "max" performance in either summer or winter, but will meet my needs fine and avoid the cost and hassle of wheel swapping.

FYI - Boston area. Highly reputable mobile service truck that comes to house and swaps tires. Works on very high end cars, so lot of trust. Had them put Sottozero 3's on my OEM Arachnids (2021 Model S) (square 265/35/R21) and have had solid grip throughout the winter including this latest big storm we had of a couple feet. An option if you want.

I'm in Chicago and plan on staying with my 21" Arachnids. I drove 35k Chicago area miles on my 2019 M3P with the OEM 20" wheels, no issues at all.
I'm in Chicago too and swapped out my 2018 M3LR with the standard 18" rims with a 2019 MSP with 21" Arachnids back in April. I wanted to see if you have had any issues to date with the 21" Arachnids in the winter here? I've never had to think about winter tires in the past so I have zero experience.

I'm in Chicago too and swapped out my 2018 M3LR with the standard 18" rims with a 2019 MSP with 21" Arachnids back in April. I wanted to see if you have had any issues to date with the 21" Arachnids in the winter here? I've never had to think about winter tires in the past so I have zero experience.
Still no issues for me - arachnids are holding up just fine.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Finally got the refresh MS LR and need to decide what to do wheel wise.....I can't stand the look of the 19" Tempests with or without the cheap plastic covers.

I can either pick up used 21" Arachnids with the Pilot Sport all seasons, and hope I don't run over a big enough pothole, or go for 20" square setup with something like 20" TSportline TSS/TS5 or maybe Martians if I'm feeling splurgy.

What's the latest on using the Arachnids all year round in the Midwest or anywhere with snow and crappy roads?

Anyone got either those or some decent 20"s for the refresh MS to sell in the Chicago area?

Finally got the refresh MS LR and need to decide what to do wheel wise.....I can't stand the look of the 19" Tempests with or without the cheap plastic covers.

I can either pick up used 21" Arachnids with the Pilot Sport all seasons, and hope I don't run over a big enough pothole, or go for 20" square setup with something like 20" TSportline TSS/TS5 or maybe Martians if I'm feeling splurgy.

What's the latest on using the Arachnids all year round in the Midwest or anywhere with snow and crappy roads?

Anyone got either those or some decent 20"s for the refresh MS to sell in the Chicago area?
You can get away with the 21s with All Seasons during the winter if you're careful, but definitely do not run the PS4S in the winter. They're horrifically bad.

Reactions: VikH