Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it crazy to go with the 21" Arachnids in the Chicago area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pull the trigger on a the MS LR, and will probably just stick with the 19" for all the usual reasons why that's a better idea in a place like the Chicago area. I've been on 19"s with my P85D since 2015 and it's been fine.

But the 21" Arachnids just look so great on the new refresh MS, and I can't really stand the look of the 19" wheels at all. Most of the new MSs I've seen recently were all on the Arachnids, so I'm wondering whether for whatever reason they're more durable than the older 21"s, which had a reputation for being really delicate.

I know I would need to deal with swapping wheels/tires for the winter.

How many of you are on the 21"s in an area with potholes and snow in the winters? How well have the wheels held up so far?

The other option is to get the 20" Arachnid look-a-likes from TSportline, with all seasons, which might be a good compromise.

I am also in the Chicago area, i had a Model 3 with 19's and was fine, but i still used 18" winter tires. I am also waiting for my S, i decided against the 21" arachnid but I will probably get some 20-21" rims elsewhere and use the 19" for winter. I do think 21" in Chicago Winters could get damaged quite easily and the salt may hurt as well.

I have an older (2015) pre-facelift Model S in the Chicago area. I have both 19 inch and 21 inch sets of wheels and tires. The 21s absolutely look better, but you will get a rougher ride, and feel things like potholes much more. I had no issue using them in the Winter (or Summer), but ultimately decided to powder coat the 19 inch wheels and just keep them on year round, as it is more comfortable and I don't have to deal with wheel swaps twice a year.

To be frank, it depends on the way you drive. Some folks are concerned about low cars, some are concerned with low profile tires. Personally, I've been driving low sports cars for many years so I'm quite used to it. You change your driving habits and potholes or steep inclines don't really affect you (I lived on the East Coast for 30+ years prior to living in SoCal where it is nice and flat :p).

If you are careful and like the way the larger wheels look, get them. Or swap them out in summer/winter.

My wife for example would see a giant pot hole or steep driveway and power right into it without thinking. Its not that she doesn't care about the car, but she doesn't relate the steep incline to the bad angle of attack of the bumper.

20" is definitely a better all around setup especially in the area with bad road. They will look just as good as 21" with proper width/offset/tire combo.

Another pro for the 20" is that there's a ton more tire options available, and some 20" tire are even cheaper than the 19" (Michelin Pilot All Season 4 for exmaple)

248661795_417746703404120_1603580379462034613_n.jpg

Any updates on winter tire options for 2021 Model S 21" Arachnids.

I got my car 3 weeks ago and drove it in the snow today for the first time in Chicago and couldn't believe they were this bad. Any options that people have recently gone with? Any recommendations in the Chicago area?

I got my car 3 weeks ago and drove it in the snow today for the first time in Chicago and couldn't believe they were this bad. Any options that people have recently gone with? Any recommendations in the Chicago area?
Staying in Chicago/where it snows for awhile? Consider getting 19"s with Michelin X-Ice. Leave your all seasons/summers on your 21s. Works great for me.

Reactions: 2101Guy

Performance tires (and their rubber compound optimized for summer) + the wide contact patch of 21" size + snow and ice = poor traction. The more narrow the tire is the better it is on snow. Midwest? Need dedicated snow tires for optimal traction in snow

Performance tires (and their rubber compound optimized for summer) + the wide contact patch of 21" size + snow and ice = poor traction. The more narrow the tire is the better it is on snow. Midwest? Need dedicated snow tires for optimal traction in snow
It was my mistake not realizing how the performance tires on the MS would handle. I've lived in Vermont and Chicago my whole life and never had a problem with all-seasons on previous cars, but performance tires is another story.

Would anyone think that using snow tires on the 21" wheels would be a problem? I think I read the space on the rear tire could be a problem. The Tesla service center recommended the snow tires on my 21 inch wheels