Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it even worth the effort to call Tesla about order status?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As is noted throughout this forum, Tesla could stand to work on their communication skills.

I'm in the basically the same boat as everyone else. Bought awhile ago (Sept 24), waiting on delivery.

Since I placed the order online, no communication. This seems to be normal though kind of crazy that I can track delivery of a $5 item from China, but not an $85k car.

I have some questions.

1. Am I for sure getting the new 2021 M3P instead of the 2020?
2. Now that I'm within the expected delivery window, can they give me any kind of more specific range?

Is it worth taking 15 minutes of my day to call the Toronto dealership and ask? Or am I just going to get a run-around and then no real answer?

Experiences? Thoughts?

Talk to your SA. Don't trust what you see in your profile.

At least for me, the profile delivery estimate was accurate.

If you just enjoy talking with someone, go ahead. It will not make your car show up one day earlier. It is what it is, the car will get manufactured and shipped on tesla's schedule. You have nothing to do with it - other than completing the requirements (insurance, etc).

When you get the text with the vin number, be ready to answer it. I had half a day to respond (choosing the delivery pickup date). There were three days available and a couple of time slots. If I failed to respond in time, I might have missed getting a car (until the next end of quarter).

It is super important that you are not traveling and have free time during the delivery window. A lot of people just don't understand. Read the comments from the last end of quarter deliveries. There were a couple of super pissed off people....

If you just enjoy talking with someone, go ahead. It will not make your car show up one day earlier. It is what it is, the car will get manufactured and shipped on tesla's schedule. You have nothing to do with it.

This is the thing. I don't have any interest in taking up someones time and mine just to chat about the inevitable.

When you get the text with the vin number, be ready to answer it. I had half a day to respond (choosing the delivery pickup date). There were three days available and a couple of time slots. If I failed to respond in time, I might have missed getting a car (until the next end of quarter).

Good info, thanks.

I guess the only thing I'm really wondering is if it would make a difference to tell them I only want a 2021. Would be irritating if by some weirdness, they receive a few 2020's and assign me one, then bump me to the back of the list when I defer for a 2021.

But even then, that seems unlikely. If they had 2020s they'd have sold them by now. And I don't know if contacting them would have any real effect. They get whatever they get, and likely have their own system for attempting to assign them.

I definitely will not miss the scheduling. An embarassing amount of my attention is currently wrapped up in getting this car. I'm sure it'll fade a bit once it arrives.

This is the thing. I don't have any interest in taking up someones time and mine just to chat about the inevitable.

Good info, thanks.

I guess the only thing I'm really wondering is if it would make a difference to tell them I only want a 2021. Would be irritating if by some weirdness, they receive a few 2020's and assign me one, then bump me to the back of the list when I defer for a 2021.

But even then, that seems unlikely. If they had 2020s they'd have sold them by now. And I don't know if contacting them would have any real effect. They get whatever they get, and likely have their own system for attempting to assign them.

I definitely will not miss the scheduling. An embarassing amount of my attention is currently wrapped up in getting this car. I'm sure it'll fade a bit once it arrives.

Make comms with your SA and let them know what you want so there is no confusion. I told my SA to put in my file that I will not be in country until Mid-Dec to accept delivery and I want a 2021. She told me no VIN will be assigned to me unless it was a '21 and not until Mid-Dec. Easy Peasy!!!!

Reactions: ehacke

Good info, thanks.

You are not going to get a 2020 model. Tesla has been discounting those models by about $2,000 to clear the inventory. Nobody is going to take a 2020 model for the same price as a 2021 model, and they know this. You will know as soon as you have a VIN what model year it is but I have no doubt at all that you will get a 2021 model. Even if they randomly assigned an older VIN to you, all you have to do is say no thanks, I’ll wait.

Just FYI, finally called them, it took 2 minutes, and they said the delivery was likely for Dec 6, and confirmed that it'll be a 2021 without me asking. I'm guessing they are getting a alot of these calls now.

Bit irritating because that's outside the delivery window of Oct 29 - Nov 26 that I originally got, but no big deal. Not actually in a rush, I don't even really drive anywhere. just eager to get it.

Overall I would say that if you are interested in more specific info and you are close to your delivery window, give them a call. They are more responsive and accurate than I feared based on other posts in this forum.