Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it feasible for tesla to give us an option to warm up the battery without defrost from the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my daily situation: In Chicago it's cold AF, my wife however detests getting into a boiling hot tesla that has been "defrost"ing for 30-40 minutes before departure.

Car is not plugged in, so can't schedule departure.

It's to the point that my wife doesn't care about the logic of warming up the battery and the reasoning, she hates hates HATES getting into the tesla after it's been defrosting. To the point that she's threatened to make me sell it.

From my understanding, the car can warm up the battery without affecting climate control when we select a supercharger in the map, it will use waste heat from the motors to warm up the battery.

Why must we turn on defrost to warm up our tesla from the app, but there's an actual way to "precondition" the battery without heating the cabin of the car.

It's to the point that my wife doesn't care about the logic of warming up the battery
There really isnt any logic in warming up the battery, unless you are planning to drive directly to a supercharger, or are going to drive the entire capacity of your cars battery out in one trip.

Turn on the climate control 5-10 minutes before you leave to warm the cabin and dont worry about warming the battery. Im not sure where people started thinking that "warming the battery " was some mandatory thing in cold weather.

yes, its true the car will have more consumption during cold weather, and you might even have lower acceleration while the battery is cold, and even have some capacity locked out until the battery warms. None of that matters unless you are going to a track for performance driving, or driving the entire range of the vehicle out.

ESPECIALLY if "car is not plugged in" there is no reason to warm the battery before the trip unless you are on your way to a supercharger. It would be a lot better to plug in the car (if possible) and run the climate control for 5-10 minutes, get in and go instead of 30 minutes trying to warm the battery. The energy you may be trying to save with regen you are spending in warming the battery.

While preconditioning you can't control when the Tesla Model Y will determine that the battery needs to be warmed, the battery will be warmed for approximately as long as it takes to reach your desired cabin temperature (if that is ~72F) or perhaps a little longer time. You can turn the climate control to manual and the fan to the lowest setting the the lowest cabin temperature setting (I believe ~60F or 62F).

The Tesla vehicle will warm the battery to some degree while preconditioning but much less than in the past. Warming the battery enables the battery to be able to produce more power on demand, also accept power under regenerative braking (so that partial regenerative braking is available.) You now have the option of setting Tesla Model Y to automatically blend and apply the frictions brakes when regenerative braking is unavailable due to temperature or the battery having a high state of charge or both. This is a major enhancement as you can drive as you usually do, even one pedal driving if you wish, and the Tesla Model Y will drive normally even with a cold battery (with no preconditioning.)

If you prefer a cold cabin and instead use the seat heaters there is no reason to precondition the Tesla Model Y unless defrosting, melting snow and ice from the windshield, etc. Preconditioning will warm the battery some but nowhere near as warm as preconditioning for Supercharging (while en route to a Supercharger location that has been entered as the destination in the Navigation system.) Preconditioning for Supercharging will warm the battery to ~122F given enough time while driving to the Supercharger.

The Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in to use Scheduled Departure. I.e. if you want to precondition after work but you don't have the ability to charge at your workplace, no problem. (You can set an A.M. preconditioning for when at home (via the Tesla vehicle settings) and a P.M. preconditioning (via the Tesla app.)

Last edited:
Here's my daily situation: In Chicago it's cold AF, my wife however detests getting into a boiling hot tesla that has been "defrost"ing for 30-40 minutes before departure.

Car is not plugged in, so can't schedule departure.

It's to the point that my wife doesn't care about the logic of warming up the battery and the reasoning, she hates hates HATES getting into the tesla after it's been defrosting. To the point that she's threatened to make me sell it.

From my understanding, the car can warm up the battery without affecting climate control when we select a supercharger in the map, it will use waste heat from the motors to warm up the battery.

Why must we turn on defrost to warm up our tesla from the app, but there's an actual way to "precondition" the battery without heating the cabin of the car.
I use "schedule departure precondition" every morning on my MYP that is not plugged in... why do you think you can't do this? You can set the temperature to whatever you want on precondition, not sure why you would have a boiling hot car.

Keith

Ditto with what everyone else has said, as well don't set a supercharger as a destination in your tesla, unless you are really going to go there and supercharge. There is a BIG difference in temperature for heating a battery for optimal driving and heating the battery for supercharging. The supercharging temperature being much higher than needed.