Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it feasible to buy a Model S when I live so far from a SC and super chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post. . . I live outside of Lafayette, Louisiana. I want a model S in a big bad way. I'm worried that I'm letting my emotions get the best of me, without really thinking this thing through. I understand that buying a 100K car isn't necessarily made with a rational mind. But am I really taking a big risk being so far away from a service center? Any advice or sharing of your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I'm heading to Los Angeles this week and plan on taking a visit to the store in Santa Monica. I don't think I'll pull the trigger while I'm there but I'm pretty sure actually seeing these bad boys up close and personal is going to push me to purchase sooner than later.

Am I nuts? lol.

The more cars there are, the sooner there will be an SC. Tesla had done a reasonable job of taking care of customers living far from an SC--not perfect but reasonable.

You don't actually live far from a Super Charger. You live at exactly the desired interval from a SuperCharger, which is 75 miles in one direction, and 60 miles in another.

It is not the intention that you should be using a SuperChargers closer to 60 miles from where you live anyway - you'll get a note if you do. SuperChargers are intended for road-trips, not daily charging.

So I would say you're an ideal candidate for a Model S :).

You don't actually live far from a Super Charger. You live at exactly the desired interval from a SuperCharger, which is 75 miles in one direction, and 60 miles in another.

It is not the intention that you should be using a SuperChargers closer to 60 miles from where you live anyway - you'll get a note if you do. SuperChargers are intended for road-trips, not daily charging.

So I would say you're an ideal candidate for a Model S :).

Maybe I missed the memo but I thought apt/condo dwellers were allowed to use their local SC'er. Or is this still up in the air?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really less concerned about the supercharger than I am the Service Center. I actually drive very little. The only time I even get to Baton Rouge or New Orleans is a trip to see a client. My daily driver is a 2003 Tundra with 38K miles. I doubt I'd even drive the Tesla to the office, considering the number of dings and marks I have on my truck from the careless people who park next to me. Having the Tesla would give me a quite a few more reasons to want to get out a little more.

But like I said, this isn't exactly the most rational decision I'm making here. :)

My first post. . . I live outside of Lafayette, Louisiana. I want a model S in a big bad way. I'm worried that I'm letting my emotions get the best of me, without really thinking this thing through. I understand that buying a 100K car isn't necessarily made with a rational mind. But am I really taking a big risk being so far away from a service center? Any advice or sharing of your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I'm heading to Los Angeles this week and plan on taking a visit to the store in Santa Monica. I don't think I'll pull the trigger while I'm there but I'm pretty sure actually seeing these bad boys up close and personal is going to push me to purchase sooner than later.

Am I nuts? lol.
Supercharger distance is fine for you, assuming they're in the directions you actually tend to drive. As for service centre, that's one you should think hard about. Right now, getting ANY service if you don't live near a service centre can be a very costly proposition, and this includes warranty work. Tesla does have Rangers, but they aren't free (in most markets).

The car is amazing, but make sure it meets your actual needs before you spend the money, think carefully on the following questions:
1) Does your driving pattern fit the current charging network (commutes that the car can easily do on a charge, road trips that tend to stick to the supercharger routes, or a lot of patience)
2) What's your risk/financial tolerance for service costs? (are you willing to pay the ranger fees? are you willing to drive it to a service centre?)
3) What's your risk/financial tolerance for non-covered repairs (in a collision these vehicles can be extremely expensive to repair, and can take a long time to get parts, and only authorized shops are allowed to buy many of the parts)

If those 3 questions work out in your favour, the Model S can be the best car on the road. Just be sure you know what you're getting in to.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really less concerned about the supercharger than I am the Service Center. I actually drive very little. The only time I even get to Baton Rouge or New Orleans is a trip to see a client. My daily driver is a 2003 Tundra with 38K miles. I doubt I'd even drive the Tesla to the office, considering the number of dings and marks I have on my truck from the careless people who park next to me. Having the Tesla would give me a quite a few more reasons to want to get out a little more.

But like I said, this isn't exactly the most rational decision I'm making here. :)

good luck not driving the Tesla, once you get it :)

When I bought mine I was over 100 miles away from a service center or supercharger, but I bought it anyway and I did so with no regrets. I would do the same again! I have had a couple minor issues that required a ranger trip to my house, but there was no charge to me for that service. I have had to take mine to the service center a couple times too, but they have been great about making sure I had transportation whenever I have taken mine in. Cars are meant to be driven and that is especially true of THIS car. They will also get dinged and scraped. It hurts, but it happens. Learn to live with it and love your ride.

Raxxar -

There are quite a few of us in the same boat as you (Tesla owners in Louisiana). I have owned a Model S for almost 3 years now and have no regrets. Tesla has a permanently assigned Ranger based in New Orleans and in 3 years I've only had one repair in which I had to go to the Houston Service Center to have completed and even that could've probably been done by the ranger it was just more convenient for him and worked out for me to go to Houston.

Having said that, I think you are on the right track with checking out ahead of time what your options are. The charge for Ranger Service hasn't applied to me yet but you should clarify with Tesla whether or not they will charge you $3 a mile for every mile the Ranger has to drive. I'm fine with them charging for Ranger Service as long as I have a Service Center alternative within a reasonable distance. I don't consider 350 miles to Houston reasonable.

Mike

Thank You. The range of even the 70 seems fine for the kind of driving I do. I will, however need todo some research into repair and ranger fees and costs before making a decision. Thanks!

Also keep in mind that those fees may change with little or no warning in the future.

Right now you'd be stuck going to Houston for service, so I think the question is are you willing to waste basically two full days (one day to drop the car off and one day to pick it up) once a year or so to have Tesla. You may be able to get away with going less via rangers or just putting off repairs/maintenance, but I'd guess that's pretty reasonable.

I have to presume that Tesla will have a Louisiana service center once the Model 3 starts shipping.

So cute that the OP thinks he's going to drive his Tundra still after he gets his Model S.

Well, the "Coming Soon" Service Center pin in New Orleans has been there for 3 years now with no Service Center yet. Unfortunately, add Louisiana to the list of states that have laws on the books "protecting" the Auto Dealers. As I understand it, Louisiana law restricts a manufacturer from performing warranty work and based in the state - that privilege is reserved for a franchise dealer...

LOL on the cute...

When I bought mine the nearest Supercharger was 1 1/2 hours south in a direction I almost never travel. The next nearest was two hours away. I had no home charger for four months due to odd problems with my Condominium.

More accurately and truthfully, according to my spouse, we bought the Condominium in Miami so I would be able to have a place to keep my Mdel S, which could not be exported to Brazil. In the end we found we actually enjoy coming to Florida and even more driving the Tesla to New Orleans.

So, my advice is hardly likely to be realistic. I advise you to buy it ASAP. Any early inconvenience you have will work out and you'll be happy you did it.

When I ordered in October 2013 the nearest Service Center was 215 miles and wasn't until October 2014 before a Supercharger opened (only 130 miles away!) within range of home. Back then you could prepay for Ranger Service, $100/year, and I did. 8 years of extended warranty, prepaid maintenance, and Ranger service was $8800. At less than 10% of sticker price I thought that to be a no-brainer bargain.

Now have a 2nd Supercharger at the Nashville/Franklin Dealer and Service Center only 92 miles away.

I am going to dig up the sore point. I went thru this same process about 2 years ago, waited, a SC opened 210 miles from my (1/2 the distance of previous), there was much talk of the free Ranger service, and I ordered. Now my car is almost 1 year old, my 12V is warning me that it is on its last legs, but Tesla tells me I have to pay $1000 for Ranger service to have my battery replaced, under warrantee, unless I wait until the car is no longer drivable. Once it is no longer drivable, then Ranger will be free.

As far as I an concerned, that kills all sales > 100 miles from the SC. I was looking at a 2nd, CPO: no more. I understand their need to cover their costs, but suddenly charging a $1000 for transportation for (defective)/warrantee service is IMO wrong.