TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it impossible to lease a Tesla in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by number12, Aug 29, 2016.

?

Does it make sense to lease a tesla in GA?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Stop over thinking and just be happy

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. number12

number12 Member

lets say business expense deduction difference between buying and leasing a SUV are negligible, and also the monthly payments. Because one they are, and two it makes the comparasion is a lot easier.

Lease $13,500 down
    Buy $2,500 down with $7500 cash back in April. (Effectively you get $5000 up front).

So unless X is worth $18,500+acquisition/turn in fee less than residual value in 3 years there's literally no one that should lease a Tesla in Georgia.

Tell me why I'm wrong? Maybe it will be really be worth that much less in 3 years, but I'm honestly asking.. Is my math wrong?

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Apparently GA must be like TX in how the full sales price of the vehicle is taxed, not just the monthly payment. The numbers don't work out unless you don't mind throwing money away.

I know other manufacturers/dealers (BMW especially) will offer "credits" to offset or eliminate this additional liability, but far as I know, that isn't an option through Tesla.

3. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Yes, and if you buy out your lease at the end you pay tax AGAIN on the current value. Every time a vehicle changes owners tax is paid, and it is on the value calculated by the state, not the purchase price.

4. number12

number12 Member

I'm sure someone in GA has leased. I just don't know how they got around those numbers. Because if someone thought their car was going to depreciate that much they probably would not even lease.