Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or does everyone want to race a tesla..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve Wozniak (woz) famously got a speeding ticket for going 105 mph in his Prius.

Woz gets $700 ticket for going 105 MPH in a Prius - AutoblogGreen

He tried to get out of it by claiming he was doing a science experiment but that didn't work.

He's quite the character

- - - Updated - - -

This. I am female, and I can't tell you how many times someone (never a woman, and usually a late model BMW) tries to challenge me at a light. Most of the time, I just wait and let them pass. Other times, when I'm particularly annoyed by the revving, I'm afraid I do give in and launch...but just enough to let them know I don't like being messed with, and never do it when it is not safe to do so.

Here's a diff perspective - perhaps they are just trying to catch up to do a double or triple take of the attractive female drive. Take it as a compliment. :)'

Third day with my car. Heading to lunch and a BMW M5 gets on my tail on the interstate on-ramp. Left him in my electrostatic dust.

Heading back to the office from lunch. First in line at a stoplight when a beautiful 71 or 72 Cuda convertible, I believe with a HEMI, pulls up and starts revving. Starts to roll before the light changes. I gave him a car length before I hit the accelerator. He was behind me in seconds. At the next light he pulled up slowly behind me rather than beside me - I called it the "roll of shame"

think im im gonna like this car................

Was in Dana Point and saw a group of 20+ Lamborghini's. Caught up to two at one light. For all their revving, all they saw was the rear of my Tesla until they passed me going 90+. Never let me catch up to them after that. :biggrin:

The other day I was behind a Ford Ranger going over a single lane covered bridge. When we were climbing out of the gulley (quite steep and about 3/4 a mile long) he tried to lose me. I don't really know what he was thinking. But I was laughing all the way to the top of the hill. Right behind his white smoke belching 10 year old Ford Ranger.

The other day I was behind a Ford Ranger going over a single lane covered bridge. When we were climbing out of the gulley (quite steep and about 3/4 a mile long) he tried to lose me. I don't really know what he was thinking. But I was laughing all the way to the top of the hill. Right behind his white smoke belching 10 year old Ford Ranger.
He was probably used to running into Tesla drivers that were "being aggressive on range planning" and thus being very conservative on hill-climbing power usage. I've don't that a few times.

Third day with my car. Heading to lunch and a BMW M5 gets on my tail on the interstate on-ramp. Left him in my electrostatic dust.

Heading back to the office from lunch. First in line at a stoplight when a beautiful 71 or 72 Cuda convertible, I believe with a HEMI, pulls up and starts revving. Starts to roll before the light changes. I gave him a car length before I hit the accelerator. He was behind me in seconds. At the next light he pulled up slowly behind me rather than beside me - I called it the "roll of shame"

I'm gonna steal "roll of shame"

So did they fix the 12v issue obviously?

Yes. Replaced the battery. Also told me there was a problem with a "controller module" on the main battery that would shut down support of the 12 volt battery. The car is too new for me to have a bs filter for the service dept. All I know is that the car is working fine now.

- - - Updated - - -

No need for a copyright. Glad to share my warped sense of humor with fellow owners. The look of defeat on the guy 's face, combined with the thumbs up and laughing from the other cars that saw it happen, created a really big tesla smile.

let the "roll of shame" live on...........

I, too, noticed this the first week or two of having the car...but then I was looking around for reactions.

When you come off the "high" of getting the car, you'll keep your eye on the road better, and ignore the "let's see what she can do" looks.

Unless that's what you're looking for...you might want to avoid the stares and come-ons....tickets and collisions await you...so you have to think you're above that.

This. I am female, and I can't tell you how many times someone (never a woman, and usually a late model BMW) tries to challenge me at a light. Most of the time, I just wait and let them pass. Other times, when I'm particularly annoyed by the revving, I'm afraid I do give in and launch...but just enough to let them know I don't like being messed with, and never do it when it is not safe to do so.

Yep...it is almost a BMW that wants to race. They seem to not be so keen on having a woman waiving at them in her rear view mirror while they can't keep up. One guy tried for three stop lights looking very frustrated.

Yep...it is almost a BMW that wants to race. They seem to not be so keen on having a woman waiving at them in her rear view mirror while they can't keep up. One guy tried for three stop lights looking very frustrated.

LOL !

Persistent fellow... In my experience so far they usually give up after one or two tries.

I had a nice roll of shame from a Maserati, but also often get the "hey I just remembered I have to turn here" of shame.

Couldn’t help but chime in on this thread as I too have noticed that BMW drivers have a higher propensity to do stupid things when feeling challenged by an EV . . the most recent of which was just this weekend.

Yesterday / Sunday here in the UK was possibly the last of the decent summer weather, temp was 25'c, sunshine all day, pleasant everything. We're in a Roadster with the roof off, on the way to an impromptu BBQ, about 30 miles away. As per usual I am not hanging around and enjoying the acceleration when the road permits.

However, I soon caught the tail end of a group of slower moving cars on a twisty road and had to hang back. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I can hear a fugly huge great massive BMW X6 steaming up behind me, ending so close that he was probably able to peer over my roll bar and read my sat-nav.

He was constantly weaving around to see if he could head butt his way past the half dozen cars blocking his progress. I'm very familiar with the road and knew that a suitably safe straight bit of tarmac was just around the bend ahead. So, moments later the road is clear and I engaged warp drive, made the leap to light speed, and teleported past the lot . . . only to make the BM driver mad as hell because he too had decided to begin an overtake. Naturally he proceeded to honk his horn flash his lights etc whilst the shrinking image in my mirror made him look like a huge opera singer who'd bunched up her skirt and tried to run after me with one fist in the air.

Even as I vanished out of sight, the giant lump of Teutonic excess was still lumbering up the wrong side of the road having only past a couple of the slower cars.

Anyway, wind the clock forwards another five minutes and we're stuck behind a much longer queue of traffic caused by a farm vehicle, when lo and behold, mad BMW driver appears over the horizon, main beams still on. But he didn't slow down and decided to use his momentum to try and sail past absolutely everything . . despite the fact the road is full of bends and I could see the top of a damn great truck coming the other way.

As he went past he gave us some interesting gesticulations, whilst the air was filled with clouds of un-burnt fuel belching out his pipes and the engine sounded like it was struggling to push the vast mass forwards. Meanwhile the oncoming truck blasted its air-horns, flashed all its roof lights and visibly braked really hard. Ahead of me I could see a couple of the slower cars cower into the side of the road fearing an almighty head-on collision that could have left a nuke sized crater and given us a new Darwin Award Winner.

BM driver didn’t give up and appeared to barge the farm tractor into hedge whilst just escaping with inches to spare and then continued to accelerate away from his embarrassment.

However, the tale didn’t end there. Twenty minutes later, just before our destination, guess who's waiting to pull out of a petrol station forecourt ?? . . Yup, the very same mad BMW driver!!!

I had to laugh when my partner smiles at him and waves, and that he had to humbly rejoin the back of the traffic queue that he'd tried so hard to pass earlier, and that he may have just put another £125 / $200 of fossil juice in his vast 90 litre tank, and that he probably doesn't know that £125 would provide about 7,000 EV miles.

From my scientific study of this matter spread over the past 2 yrs, I can report that 8 out of 10 such incidents feature a BMW driver . . !

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I can hear a fugly huge great massive BMW X6 steaming up behind me, ending so close that he was probably able to peer over my roll bar and read my sat-nav.
These days, I'm a bit more skittish about such situations. I peel back 10-15mph away from the pack. I don't want to be around when he finds something to collide with.

BMW X6? Even other BMW owners (like me) laugh at the X6.

It's too ugly for words. But as a former BMW driver (I owned 10 over the years) I have to admit (sadly) that many fellow BMW drivers compensate for lack of mental capacity and self control by driving more aggressively.
:-(

That said, the only time I was ever sort of challenged to a race was on I5 and that was a Porsche turbo. But in Oregon people are way too polite to race off a light...

testosterone.jpg

Notice the use of the Tesla font.
Looks like Shirley Muldowney's handwriting.