TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it just me that finds the "cold-weather" alert lamp annoying?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ravng, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ravng

ravng Member

I can not understand why an alert beep and message on the display for a few seconds, like all other cars have, was not enough for Tesla.
    The first time the lamp came on during driving I was sure that something terrible was going on. A bright yellow alert symbol in the dash that does not go away is never a good sign, and since I was driving I did not manage to see what it was, so I had to pull over.
    Since it's winter time over here it's on all the time, so annoying :cursing:!

2. augkuo

augkuo Member

It's mainly for people here in the California as a warning that there may be black ice on the road - for you perhaps some tape over the warning light ;)

3. ravng

ravng Member

Well we certanly get black ice conditions here as well, but why keep the warning light on forever, a few seconds like other cars do would be sufficient.
    But I guess I have to live with it ;)

Anyway, I am very happy about how the car handles snow and ice, but I look forward to the spring and removing the hard top for the first time...

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

At what temperature does that come on?

(I've never seen it....)

5. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I believe it's 37ºF. I love Sarasota and surrounding areas. If I moved to FL, it'd be that area. So pretty!

6. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

On my old BMW, the car would chime (and scare the crap out of me), a message would pop up on the display, and the dash light would stay illuminated as long as the temperature was below the threshold. I think the Roadster's dash is just smaller, so it's more noticeable, but the behavior isn't much different than other cars I'm used to.

7. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

Yes, on at 37, off at 40 degrees. I find it annoying to see a warning light, too. As if I'm not smart enough to look at the temperature before driving, not to mention it's on the VDS.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes it is annoying, but this is far from the only car on the market sporting that irritant. My last gas car had the same thing.

It's pretty insulting for a Canadian - we know when it's freezing, trust me. We have lots of experience.

9. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

That's what I remember from my 635CSi as well. I think my old VW GTI did the same thing...

10. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

My winter car, a Volvo (the roadster is a winter garage queen) lights up when the temperature is around freezing point but the warning dissapears below -5C... at that point it considers we ought to have noticed it's freezing cold outside!
    I find that behaviour quite reasonable.

11. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Why would this alert be anymore "annoying" then headlight on indicators?

12. S-2000 Roadster

The warning light does go off - if the temperature rises above 39°F !

I do not find it annoying, because black ice could be around any corner, not just when you first start driving. The constant warning keeps me constantly alert for potential traction issues. When I have a passenger that I care about, I'm particularly thankful to be reminded. In Norway, perhaps you have to deal with freezing conditions so often that it's second nature, while the rest of the world only rarely sees such cold temperatures.

What I do find annoying is the traction control coming on every time I drive over railroad tracks or some other very brief bump. I dont' see why a flashing yellow alert is more helpful than just waiting for extended traction issues before engaging.

13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Both our 2005 Prius and the 2004 Avalanche have this "feature" I agree it is annoying but have learned to ignore as I too look at the temperature and I can still remember where water freezes.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In many areas it doesn't mean a lot because they are very cold for three to six months, or they are never particularly cold. However, in some areas such as the Pacific Northwest, it's nice to know that what you are driving on is likely to be just water rather than black ice.

15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#15 wycolo, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    > What I do find annoying is the traction control coming on every time I drive over railroad tracks or some other very brief bump. I dont' see why a flashing yellow alert is more helpful than just waiting for extended traction issues before engaging. [S-2000 Roadster]

You mean 'traction control LIGHT' of course. I think this light is less of a warning, rather more of just an indication that all systems are working in the car. Appears when differential action is detected vs front wheel rotation (I think).

At least it is silent as opposed to the loud TPMS random reminder that hits when you least expect it (when your rims lack TPMS devices).

Snowflake: thanks for the explanation of what this actually is! Another 'no response required' notification. I thought maybe it was some defroster thingy. My Forester flashes the temp numerals whenever it hits 37F.
    --

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I must be dense, because I don't recall seeing this. I've seen "Re-Gen Disabled" and such, but don't believe I've seen a simple "It's cold" message. My old Cadillac had an "Ice Possible - Drive with Caution" message that used to come up.

I did see this for the first time yesterday when the battery was at 20%:

IMG_0153.JPG

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You'll get this message if the charge is low and the battery pack is cold. I've had it happen more than a few times, but mostly on longer trips in cold conditions.

When my car was just a couple of months old I had it pop up at IRCC 30%+ and -22C ambient when I stopped to pick up an ice scraper on my way to Peterborough. After driving for a couple of hours the battery pack was still feeling cold! There's a lot of exposed area under that battery pack.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I had just driven about 100 km and the message popped up just as I pulled in to my garage. I was able to comply and commence charging about 30 seconds after getting the message :smile:

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

LOL yeah, I've only ever had it pop up when (a) I'm about to plug in anyway, or (b) I'm 100 km away from any usable plug.

Not as annoying as the Roadster's icy road light, though.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Crap! I'm talking about my Model S in a Roadster forum again :redface: Damn you TMC "What's New" button :eek: