TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it just me that is disapointed by the cargo space!?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dakkor, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bxd20

bxd20 New Member

The hitch mounted cargo carrier is a wonderful device. I've used it many times. For luggage, for firewood, for mulch, for a hot water tank. Very little hit to fuel economy. The roof mounted carrier I would never do. It's ugly IMO, it affects aerodynamics, it can be noisy, and it's no fun to try to heave and hoist a 70-80 lb suitcase up high like that. Chances of hurting yourself or scratching the car.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

That can't be right. 9.5 cubic feet would be just 269 litres. That's miles off.
    My manual says 420 litres (about 14.8 cubic feet), and going by what kinds of stuff I have transported over the years, this seems highly realistic.
    269 litres would be less than what my 1996 VW Golf III had.

Incidentally, the measurements over here are also taken using standard cubicles, not water, as some have suggested.

I guess we will have to wait and see until the final car is ready and in the showrooms.

3. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Also have to keep in mind that there is no set standard manufacturers have to follow for reporting cargo capacity. Basically, manufacturers can put out whatever # they want. 14 cubic feet from Toyota maybe be quite different from 14 cubic feet from GM or Tesla, etc...

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Right. I was replying to a post replying to poster from Europe who said that their car had more space than the Model 3. That European poster might not have realized that the US numbers are different.

• Like x 1
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Well, a bit of further suggests that the German standard is cubicles, and many, but not all, manufacturers follow that (the rest preferring total volume). The US "standard" might involve a bunch of standard luggage and some other small boxes.

Corollary: bring suitcases to your test drive.

6. Thierry

Thierry Member

A useful option for our future model 3 [​IMG]

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You might want one a tad bit more aerodynamic...

8. AustinPowers

As I will rarely use my Model 3 for long distance travel, suitcases wouldn't do it for me.
    But a good measurement unit over here in general are mineral water crates. The standard ones hold 12 bottles of 1 litre and are something that many people use to judge how useful a car's trunk size is.

measurement_storage.PNG

My trunk fits four of these comfortably, plus a sizeable amount of other groceries. As long as the Model 3 can keep up with that, it's fine by me.

9. AustinPowers

Oh and something else: on the Model S versus Model 3 comparison page it says that Model S has 30 cubic feet of front & rear trunk cargo volume, which would equate to around 850 litres. The specs listed on the German Consumer Reports equivalent test of the Model S lists a front & rear trunk cargo volume of 505 to 605 litres, depending on whether the trunk is filled up to the parcel shelf or to the ceiling. That is almost 250 litres or around 9 cubic feet (at minimum) less than what Tesla states. Going by that, the Model 3 cargo volume would have to be miniscule, which certainly can't be right. Somehow these various measurement types leave a lot to be desired in term of comparability.

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Does German consumer reports often cite the US EPA numbers for cargo space or is there a European equivalent?

11. acentre

acentre Member

Love the cargo space. It is not a minivan.

12. 206er

206er Member

was a bit disappointed with the 14 cubic ft figure, but then started looking into roof racks to increase space. our current acura ilx offers 12.3 cubic ft, and we're able to fit a nuna mixx stroller, diaper bag, some small toys, and a few bags of groceries in the trunk. a bit tight but doable, so slightly more space and a roof rack should offer plenty of room for our needs.

folding back seats down to increase cargo space hasn't been an option since we welcomed our son into the world a few years ago (car seat).

13. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Is it a split rear folding seat?

14. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Better fit a golf bag

15. 206er

206er Member

For the Model 3? Great question! Anyone?

16. Thierry

Thierry Member

I leave in France near Bordeaux and we use another kind of crates ...:oops: with 12 bottles.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  17. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Yes, it is. Only way to fit a 7ft surfboard or convert it to "camper" mode like Elon talked about! :)

18. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

The question is if you can split the seats so some of them are down and some are up (i.e., a 60/40 split).

19. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

I'm good. I never use my current trunk now. If we haul anything we use my wife's full size SUV

20. AustinPowers

#100 AustinPowers, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Not really.

Neither is my car, as you can see.

Way to go.

Some of us: "Elon, can we get a bigger trunk? Pretty please?"
    Elon: "You won't care. Use your wife's full size SUV if you want to transport stuff!"

By the way, every time I am reminded of that "You won't care"-statement, I have to think of Obi-Wan Kenobi...
    ;)