Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me that is disapointed by the cargo space!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And because the Bolt has the rear view mirror camera, stacking cargo up to the roof is actually not a huge deal, since you can get a crystal clear view out the rear with the rearview cam.

And you can always stack stuff ON the roof (and the rear) too. :p
View attachment 228979

The hitch mounted cargo carrier is a wonderful device. I've used it many times. For luggage, for firewood, for mulch, for a hot water tank. Very little hit to fuel economy. The roof mounted carrier I would never do. It's ugly IMO, it affects aerodynamics, it can be noisy, and it's no fun to try to heave and hoist a 70-80 lb suitcase up high like that. Chances of hurting yourself or scratching the car.

The cargo capacity for that BMW is listed at 9.5 cubic feet.

That can't be right. 9.5 cubic feet would be just 269 litres. That's miles off.
My manual says 420 litres (about 14.8 cubic feet), and going by what kinds of stuff I have transported over the years, this seems highly realistic.
269 litres would be less than what my 1996 VW Golf III had.

Incidentally, the measurements over here are also taken using standard cubicles, not water, as some have suggested.

I guess we will have to wait and see until the final car is ready and in the showrooms.

Also have to keep in mind that there is no set standard manufacturers have to follow for reporting cargo capacity. Basically, manufacturers can put out whatever # they want. 14 cubic feet from Toyota maybe be quite different from 14 cubic feet from GM or Tesla, etc...

That can't be right. 9.5 cubic feet would be just 269 litres. That's miles off.
My manual says 420 litres (about 14.8 cubic feet), and going by what kinds of stuff I have transported over the years, this seems highly realistic.
269 litres would be less than what my 1996 VW Golf III had.

Incidentally, the measurements over here are also taken using standard cubicles, not water, as some have suggested.

I guess we will have to wait and see until the final car is ready and in the showrooms.

Well, a bit of further suggests that the German standard is cubicles, and many, but not all, manufacturers follow that (the rest preferring total volume). The US "standard" might involve a bunch of standard luggage and some other small boxes.

Corollary: bring suitcases to your test drive.

A useful option for our future model 3
remorque.png

Corollary: bring suitcases to your test drive.

As I will rarely use my Model 3 for long distance travel, suitcases wouldn't do it for me.
But a good measurement unit over here in general are mineral water crates. The standard ones hold 12 bottles of 1 litre and are something that many people use to judge how useful a car's trunk size is.

measurement_storage.PNG

My trunk fits four of these comfortably, plus a sizeable amount of other groceries. As long as the Model 3 can keep up with that, it's fine by me.

Oh and something else: on the Model S versus Model 3 comparison page it says that Model S has 30 cubic feet of front & rear trunk cargo volume, which would equate to around 850 litres. The specs listed on the German Consumer Reports equivalent test of the Model S lists a front & rear trunk cargo volume of 505 to 605 litres, depending on whether the trunk is filled up to the parcel shelf or to the ceiling. That is almost 250 litres or around 9 cubic feet (at minimum) less than what Tesla states. Going by that, the Model 3 cargo volume would have to be miniscule, which certainly can't be right. Somehow these various measurement types leave a lot to be desired in term of comparability.

Oh and something else: on the Model S versus Model 3 comparison page it says that Model S has 30 cubic feet of front & rear trunk cargo volume, which would equate to around 850 litres. The specs listed on the German Consumer Reports equivalent test of the Model S lists a front & rear trunk cargo volume of 505 to 605 litres, depending on whether the trunk is filled up to the parcel shelf or to the ceiling. That is almost 250 litres or around 9 cubic feet (at minimum) less than what Tesla states. Going by that, the Model 3 cargo volume would have to be miniscule, which certainly can't be right. Somehow these various measurement types leave a lot to be desired in term of comparability.
Does German consumer reports often cite the US EPA numbers for cargo space or is there a European equivalent?

was a bit disappointed with the 14 cubic ft figure, but then started looking into roof racks to increase space. our current acura ilx offers 12.3 cubic ft, and we're able to fit a nuna mixx stroller, diaper bag, some small toys, and a few bags of groceries in the trunk. a bit tight but doable, so slightly more space and a roof rack should offer plenty of room for our needs.

folding back seats down to increase cargo space hasn't been an option since we welcomed our son into the world a few years ago (car seat).

As I will rarely use my Model 3 for long distance travel, suitcases wouldn't do it for me.
But a good measurement unit over here in general are mineral water crates. The standard ones hold 12 bottles of 1 litre and are something that many people use to judge how useful a car's trunk size is.

View attachment 229063

My trunk fits four of these comfortably, plus a sizeable amount of other groceries. As long as the Model 3 can keep up with that, it's fine by me.

I leave in France near Bordeaux and we use another kind of crates ...:oops: with 12 bottles.

SPECIAL%20CRATE.jpg

Does German consumer reports often cite the US EPA numbers for cargo space or is there a European equivalent?

Not really.

Love the cargo space. It is not a minivan.

Neither is my car, as you can see.

I'm good. I never use my current trunk now. If we haul anything we use my wife's full size SUV

Way to go.

Some of us: "Elon, can we get a bigger trunk? Pretty please?"
Elon: "You won't care. Use your wife's full size SUV if you want to transport stuff!"

By the way, every time I am reminded of that "You won't care"-statement, I have to think of Obi-Wan Kenobi...
;)

Last edited: