Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me that is disapointed by the cargo space!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't just you. The first cargo disappointment was the trunk versus hatch. And now it seems like quite minimal space. This will be my largest car and apparently the smallest cargo capacity.

I know there are plenty of people who simply wish to transport themselves to work and back. I need a car to do much, much more. so to me, this stuff is very important.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I have a trunk-only capacity of 11.8 cubic feet in the sedan the Model 3 is meant to replace. If the 3's 14 cu ft is split between two bays, it sounds like I'll have about as much room in the trunk as I have now. Which, for a small sedan, is enough for me.
Robin

I posted the following on the [model3owners.com] site recently:

I wonder if the purported trunk capacity of 14 cubic feet is simply a measurement of average length x average width (to account for wheel wells, etc.) x average height. It might NOT include the volume under the flat trunk floor at the rear. I just measured my Model S "well" as 36"w x 18"d x 12" h. This is about 4.5 cubic feet. I'm sure the 3 "well" is smaller, but still significant.

When we got our Model S, we quickly learned that the "well" was a great place for stowing Trader Joe's bags and CostCo run stuff. We took the well cover out, and I'm not sure if I can find it now...it's somewhere in the garage...might add that there's still MORE storage space outboard of the "well" in the Model S.
I just went out and measured my S trunk space ABOVE the well. It's about 40" wide by 40 " deep (to the rear seat backs) by 18" high (under the removable cover) or about 16.67 cu ft. There's an additional ~2 cu ft outboard to the rear of the wheel housings. So let's call it 18.67 cu ft. So using MY measurements, I have a total S trunk capacity of 18.67 + 4.5 (well) + ~ 2 (outboard of well) = 25.17 cu ft. I am convinced still that the 14 cu ft trunk capacity cited for the Model 3 does NOT include a "well". Perhaps there isn't one, but the body in white picture that's floating around certainly looks like there is a well.

• Informative
Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
Need to compare the Model 3 to other 4 door sedans. The Soul is more of a box, and that will always give more space, as do other Cute Ute styles.

Tesla already has a Cute Ute design in the works, that will provide more space for those hauling more stuff than passengers.
BMW Series 3 is 13ft cube but it's no splitted in 2....

I mean have you tried to plit in 2 a stroller ;)

Anyway we will see. I guess i'm spoiled with the S trunk but even that I found it small. Maybe my stroller is too big haha.

My Toyota Echo sedan officially has 13.6 cf so 14 is not really a problem for me. Before you say, 'yeah but that's a subcompact!' the trunk is actually surprisingly huge for a car this size. In any case, I take a lot of road trips and I have done so in the Echo - two adults and two kids for two weeks. People carry too much stuff with them. We use a Toyota Matrix for trips now and obviously there is more room as it is a wagon, but my goal is always to keep my visibility out the rear window so I don't normally use all of the space even on a long trip.

Since the Model 3 will replace my Echo, I'm good with the space. The photos of the frunk from the reveal give me the impression that this area is a very small percentage of the whole. Hopefully the Matrix will hold out until the Model Y and that should be a nice upgrade as well.

I am not challenge anyone thoughts about the adequacy of the M3's storage space. Think what you will.

Personally, I do not see the M3 as a road car. I'd a whole lot more rather have space in the cabin ... so I can find no fault with the specs.

Just a side thought: Cubic space can be very deceiving. It all depends on how it is shaped and if two suitcases will fit. A long, skinny, tall space can be the exact volume as a squarish modest space. A friend values being able to put 4 golf bags in the trunk; another, a large TV. I see neither as important as a comfortable interior.

Reactions: jsanford
... so I can find no fault with the specs...

Agree! I wouldn't even think about getting a mattress for Model 3 as an Airbnb business :)

tesla-airbnb-3.png

Compare cargo storage with the Cadillac CT6 PHEV version. Priced over double the M3 and there is less cargo space. See it in person and look for the small hidden storage areas under the trunk load floor. Is GM counting that in their cargo calculations? Most buyers will look elsewhere. After reading test drive details about the electric to gas acceleration hesitation, the CT6 PHEV should be avoided altogether.

I mean... 13ft cube for trunk AND frunk combined.. this is smaller than my Kia Soul that does even have a frunk. Am I missing something?
Isn't it 14? My current car is 12, so it doesn't really matter to me (will still be an upgrade). As for comparing to a Soul, that's a hatchback, which always has much higher cargo space ratings because they can count the area above the parcel shelf.

I think how the space is laid out and how the trunk opening is designed matters a lot more than the raw numbers. For a sedan, a critical factor is how the hinges are (the typical goosenecks hinges take up more space).