TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it legal to drive Model X in Canada?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by pchan, May 11, 2016.

1. pchan

pchan Member

Out of curiosity, can someone drive Model X in Canada from US? I don't mean for sale, but just as a trip. I suppose the car is still under review to meet Canadian standard for sale, does it affect driving it on Canadian road?

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I don't see why it can't. It would be titled and licensed in the US, so that should be only thing that matters.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I've driven U.S. vehicles into Canada with no problem whatsoever.

4. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

That would be a bummer for my upcoming summer trip from NorCal to Victoria..no sir..you have to leave the falcon wings behind..not welcome in Canada..lol

• Funny x 1
  5. X Fan

X Fan Member

Not sure of legality re: a vehicle not approved by authorities but as important to me that if there is a breakdown could it be serviced in Canada?

6. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Oh yeah..I have been wondering about that too. Will Tesla provide warranty service in Canada if the doors begin to fail during our trip:eek:

7. pchan

pchan Member

I understand I can drive a US registered vehicle in Canada, but my point is ... if the car is not approved for sale yet, maybe the Canadian does not approve the car to be used on a Canadian road as well? Maybe they feel the Falcon Wing doors are too dangerous? ;) ... also wondering does the US Tesla car autopilot works in Canada?

8. timf

timf Member

If you check the Canadian threads, you'll see Model X has been approved for sale in Canada and their vehicles are going into production soon. I would have no worries about driving into Canada.

• Informative x 1
  9. Calgary

Calgary Member

Tesla brought up numerous MXs registered in California for the test drive weekends in multiple cities (Vancouver I attended) across Canada in March of this year.

• Like x 1
  10. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

This is my understanding: Tesla has been approved to sell Model-X in Canada, but these are Canadian-specific Model-X (adhering to Transport Canada rules with daytime running lights, metric units, etc.) Tesla is refusing to provide an upgrade kit (US to Canada) for the Model-X, so US Model-X cannot legally be sold in Canada. However, there is no issue with Americans driving into Canada with their US Model-X. They just can't sell it here.

• Like x 3