TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it mandatory for you to put that ugly sticker to your tesla to use the carpool lane?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by SanDiegoGuy, Apr 27, 2018.

1. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

I do not have any electric vehicle so I do not know the rule. However, I often see a sticker on the back of the tesla vehicle because I heard that you need that to use the carpool lane.

Why would you need to have that sticker? Would people already know that a Tesla is full electric and not a hybrid. So should the Tesla not need that sticker?

I ask this because I do not want to use that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. The sticker just make the car look cheap and make it less pleasant looking.

There is no way that I will put that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. I rather not use the carpool lane.

2. arlorose

arlorose Member

You must have those stickers to use the carpool lane.

This is because the allocation for those stickers can expire or run out, so even if you wanted the sticker, there are cases (they'll be more regular soon) where you may not be able to get them.

Also note that as of March 2018 the white stickers are only valid until March 2019 and all new stickers (through March '19) are red. As of March '19, they'll be a new color and need an annual renewal.

3. edlin303

edlin303 Member

I can second the above response. I know someone who was pulled over, cop didn't notice the sticker at first. He saw it as he walked up and told them it was a mistake, but that he was watching for EVs without the sticker who were "cheating" using the lane.

Also, if you're on 15, just pay the toll instead. No need for the ugly sticker.

• Informative x 1
  4. Graffi

Graffi Member

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS "NO".

I say that because if you have two or more persons in the vehicle you may drive in the HOV lane without a sticker.

My wife will not allow any sticker, bumper or otherwise, destroy the beauty of her car. Same with the Leaf before the Tesla. In both cases other than the daily commute we are both in the vehicle while driving and using the HOV lanes, and there is no HOV lane to use for the commute. We did not even apply for a sticker with either car.

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

It's this mindset on the part of "law enforcement" that is the larger problem. An EV cannot grow a tailpipe. At worst, the EV owner may be guilty of not paying their $8 (now $22) - neverminding the fact that Tesla owners pay a disproportionately higher tax already in the form of inflated registration fees. Keeping that reality in mind, EVs (at least Tesla owners) are not "cheating".

The entire situation is disgraceful. Completely apart from the intent of the law (EVs incented to buy same with carpool lane access), these publicly-funded employees divert themselves from the mission of public safety (cheating the citizen of their due protection, if anything) in favor of lazy by-the-letter ticket and revenue generation.

Those who are more comfortable with the groupthink may stuff their disagrees in advance.

Agreed that it appears we're going to get another not-so-hidden tax in the form of an annual EV carpool lane access tax. You know, just to ensure that we "pay our fair share". You want fair? Charge by weight and mileage.

What a crock.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  6. roblab

roblab Active Member

AMEN brother! Semi trucks and trailers could not afford to be on the road if it were by weight and mileage. EVs pay far above the norm.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Smokin

Smokin Member

Yes. Just don't live in California. In texas we just pay tolls and the HOV lane turns into a toll road.

• Funny x 1
  8. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

I do not commute to work here in Southern California where work traffic is crazy. But sometimes I am alone and need to use the Car Pool Lane (not often). When I do I tape the sticker to the back window. Have not been pulled over yet but my guess is they will make me pay but I have weighed the options and decided I do not want those "3" ugly stickers on my car. I really think there should be a license plate option of some kind.

9. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Yes i have 3 of them and 2 easy passes on windshield

10. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

While quite partial to my legacy plate, I would happily give it up for an EV/AltFuel plate that would dispense with this sticker silliness. I don’t care if the new plates are plaid or purple - just get it done.

Revenue-grubbing bureaucrats and the duly elected should love the plate concept. First, there are already quite a few non-standard plates from which to choose - adding one more is relatively trivial. Second, they can crank up the annual fees for those just as easily as playing games with stickers.

Clearly, leaving stickers for lowly hybrids would be too simple.

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Sticker enforcement is fluid. The different colors in California have different expiration dates.

Got a kick out of Graffiti worrying about the sticker destroying the "beauty" of her Leaf :)

Some Cal cops are sticklers for stickers, others not so much.

12. jf2go

jf2go Member

I guess if you are spending $200K for a Roadster, another $800 for a license plate isn't a biggie :cool:. T-Sportline video talking about the new e-plate available for folks in California. One of the "coming soon" features is relevant to our discussion here. Go to around 5:20 in the video.

13. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

Here in Arizona, all EVs can use the HOV lane, as long as you have the blue sky with clouds alternative fuel vehicle plate, which comes standard on all Teslas sold in AZ.

• Informative x 1
  14. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Inflatable copilot.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. FlashDrive

FlashDrive Member

upload_2018-7-28_17-50-43.jpeg