Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, but are 2018-2020s are better builds than 2021/22s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thx for the additional data points. For the OP - since the Aug 2018 and Apr 2019 examples do (and my Oct 2018 doest not), there must've been a few flavors of the early production real leather steering wheel (some that did, some that didn't).

Maybe this is still the case now with the vegan wheel and/or some type of regional build differences (MiA, MiC, MiG).

In either case the OEM steering wheels on the 3/Y across the globe is very vanilla and pales in comparison (in terms of cover materials used, wheel ergonomics, fit/finish, etc.) to what the aftermarket now offers.

does anyone with a 21 or 22 confirm they have the seam as well?
My October 2021 M3P does _not_ have the steering wheel seam that MrFusion4 showed a picture of.

I think I've seen other photos with that seam, but I'm pretty sure I've never encountered it in person on any Model 3 or Y, newer or older. I'll check my friend's OG Model 3 again though when I have a chance, it's an older one with real leather for the upholstery as well as the steering wheel.

Old, early production 2017-2018, early 2019 / real leather steering wheels did not have the seam. Not sure about current, or post-2021 refresh ones.
My April 19 build has the seam..
FWIW, my 2019 (delivered in late March of that year) also has the seam. As I understand it, all Teslas at that time had real leather steering wheel wrappings.

Does anybody know if Tesla makes the steering wheels in-house, or are they make by suppliers? If the latter, it could be that they have two suppliers, which wrap them in different ways. This might explain the inconsistency people are reporting.

Service can adjust - probably mobile service.
Been through all that. Tried adjusting the bumpers. Had service take a look when they came to replace the computer to HW3 but it still has noticeably uneven gaps all around. It's servicable - just not what you would expect from a $60K car. There were lots of fit and finish problems early in the M3 line - I wasn't alone - so it would surprise me if now, four years later, it has gotten worse.

Very 2022 positive experience.

Aug. built M3LR problems:

1. Plastic holding seat controls pops off, DYI'd it with outdoor zipties.
2. Minimal excess glass roof rubber trim driver side, really takes close
scrutiny to even notice.
3. Minimal dent in B pillar window seal, no water
coming in but over 90mph slight noise.
4. Frunk bin not wide enough to snap into passenger
side fender retaining clip.
5. Cabin air filter cover 1/2" gap passenger side, applied 1/2" window sealant tape
after installing a snap-on micromesh filter to avoid leaves and bugs enteriing and
then rotting on the air filter below.
5. Window trim staining after laser car wash, fixed by rubbing hard
cleaning with coconut shampoo and salt softened conditioned
water.

Heck, for all the complaints I read here, I think I am
very lucky. Zero fit and finish otherwise, none of the dreaded panel
gaps or rattles. I take it back, before I got the Aliexpress door bin rubber
inserts the water bottles would rattle, the rear door inserts also rattled
until I applied 1/2" window sealant strip to their entire interior facing side.

Last edited:
Is it me or are 2018-2020s model 3s have better quality in terms of fit/finish and ride quality when compared 2021/2022 (refreshed console)? I've been looking at some used Model 3s, and the pre-console refresh ones are quieter, rides better, and minimal fit/finish issues. Maybe I am looking at some poorly put together 2021/22s.
It's you.

• Funny
Reactions: S&B's M3 and tm1v2
I have difficulty closing my 2022 m3 awd frunk every time. I am not sure if it is me - but I tried several ways and I am usually able to get my frunk closed in 6-7 attempts. So every time I open the frunk I worry a bit :)
Yeah I adjusted my own by moving the latch mechanism up (a couple bolts) Service can probably do it.

My hood had a significant underbite and that was fixed by this adjustment as well.

Much improved.

• Informative
Reactions: S&B's M3
Is it me or are 2018-2020s model 3s have better quality in terms of fit/finish and ride quality when compared 2021/2022 (refreshed console)? I've been looking at some used Model 3s, and the pre-console refresh ones are quieter, rides better, and minimal fit/finish issues. Maybe I am looking at some poorly put together 2021/22s.
We have a 2018 M3 RWD LR. (He, I'm getting into using abbreviations!) I find the fit and finish to be excellent. No issues at all.

Reactions: android04
Please explain "refreshed console"