Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, but are 2018-2020s are better builds than 2021/22s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2019 and now have a 2022. There is absolutely no difference with the steering wheels. I'm curious how you determined this? What is wrong with the new ones?
He is likely referring to the leather on the older ones, with different stitching. Has a little different look and feel. Not sure it’s better or worse though. Just different.

I have a 2019 pre-raven MS, and have put a lot of miles on a friends 2020 MS Raven. Never had a single issue with the 2019 car in what is now 57K miles, so I feel like the build quality was pretty good. The 2020, currently with only 8K miles, has had a few little service issues including camera failure, tri-valve coolant leaks, window wipers flew off the car on delivery. It is much quieter and more isolated from the road than my 2019, likely due to a newer adaptive suspension. After uncorking, the 2019 is a touch faster off the mark than the Raven.

I had +40k miles on my 2019 and traded it in for a 2022 in August. LOVED the 2019 but the 2022 is better. It is clearly quieter at high speeds(I've been told due to thicker glass?), The build quality is better on the 2022 as well but the biggest difference with the ride is how quiet it is.

I'm similar - I had a 2018 with 50k miles on it. It as in an accident and I just replaced it with a 2022. The 2022 is quieter.

The center console is also better on the 2022 and everything else feels about the same.

I think it comes down to luck of the draw whether it be a 2018 or a 2022. Some of them come off the assembly line built well enough and others not so much. I don't think that's changed much over the years as it's not like Tesla recently started a QA process for vehicles coming off the 2022 assembly line as they are still just built as fast as possible and shipped out to customers who can perform their own QA at time of delivery if they so choose.

Reactions: father_of_6
I had +40k miles on my 2019 and traded it in for a 2022 in August. LOVED the 2019 but the 2022 is better. It is clearly quieter at high speeds(I've been told due to thicker glass?), The build quality is better on the 2022 as well but the biggest difference with the ride is how quiet it is.
Perhaps the doubled front door windows have something to do with it?

However, I would not say that the 2022 Model 3 is the quietest car around.

I had a 2019 and now have a 2022. I think the 2022 is a better put together car. Everything was well aligned and there's less paint artifacts. The laminated glass is a huge improvement on wind noise as well. I think they also made the charge port a little looser because it rubs less and releases better than the old one. My old car got a rattle in the driver A pillar that I could never get at. So far no rattles on the new one but its still early. That said I swear the accelerator is stiffer in the new car. I also wish there was a way to cover phones while on the charger so I don't have to hide my work phone when I go into stores.