TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it me or does the model 3 has tighter tuning ratio

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by electrictorque, Oct 26, 2018.

1. electrictorque

I have been driving sporty cars all my life and never had a rear wheel touch the curb when making sharp turns. Now with the model 3 it had happened twice already, lucky didn't do any damage, only the tire rubbed against the curb. It kinda feels like the car is much longer than my other cars, 335xi and 3000gt VR4.

Got to get used to make wider turns.

2. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

the wheel base is much longer than similar sized cars so you have to make sure you clear the back wheel.

• Informative x 1
  3. electrictorque

Yeah, just measured, model 3 is 5 inches longer than the 335xi.

4. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

It's 113 which is the same as the mercedes E series and between the sizes of the BMW 4 series and 5 series. I have curb rash to prove it o_O

• Like x 1
  5. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

The longer wheelbase took me a while to get use to coming from an '08 Lexus IS250 AWD on making U-Turns and such. 6 inch longer wheelbase on the Model 3.

6. xilex

xilex Model P3D

Car should be smarter and warn you wheel is too close to curb.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. longshot49

longshot49 Member

I think it was my first week of ownership. Easiest right hand turn ever (90 o) - cars in the opposite lane so I figure i'll do a "short" turn and not take it wide trajectory.... ERRRRR... I hit the curb with the rear right wheel....

I feel your pain.

8. Justin30624700

In additional to the long wheel base, you also sit closer to the front wheels in a Model 3 since the "engine" bay is shorter than other sports sedens.

9. Thp3

Thp3 Member

Yeah, I wish I’d read this thread a few days ago. The turning characteristics are very different than other cars I’m used to. Sadly, some curb rash in my learning curve. Wide turns are now my standard.

10. Remonster

Remonster Member

The 5 link suspension in the Model 3 allowed the engineers to set the rear wheels up for passive steering when you really rail into a turn. Essentially, your car has 4 wheel steering that only gets stronger as you get more body roll.

• Informative x 1
  11. electrictorque

This makes sense.