Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, or is the Model Y really ugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is very good looking for a SUV. I think it should be compared to other SUVs and in that regard it is IMO one of the best looking cars. But might be biased.. :)

Imo the 3 also looks better than the S… ahhh Well…
I think the BMW X5 is the best looking SUV personally.

With that said, I don't think the X5 would translate well into an efficient EV so there is that. Can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes.

The Model S is the best looking Tesla.
I posted this before, but I think the Model 3 looks like a frog. I guess the Model Y is a bigger frog.

View attachment 537234
I'm not going to comment on the Y as so man y around here have just picked up their new pride and joys... But the 3 definitely sacrifices looks for aerodynamics IMO.

I do like the Startech nose cone but it's not worth the hassle for me...
Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 11.27.27.png

Fun page here with some alternatives

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 11.29.17.png

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I think the BMW X5 is the best looking SUV personally.

With that said, I don't think the X5 would translate well into an efficient EV so there is that. Can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes.
It might surprise us, the X3 has turned out better than many thought.

Personally something along the lines of a Taycan Cross Turismo shape is where I’d love to be. Audi did the allroad which was similar, more of an estate on steroids. I’m surprised they’ve never really caught on before

Reactions: DM206433
It just seems to me that all the proportions are wrong. The Model 3 from the front isn't all that good either, but the Y takes up a level in fugliness IMHO.

View attachment 537129
Took my Y round to my Tesla sceptic colleague who owns a Mclaren, and a Caymen. He thought it looked way better in the flesh and is now looking at lease deals to replace the Caymen as his daily driver.
IMG-20220222-WA0005.jpg

Reactions: RubberDuck46
I've been in close presence of two Model Y's today, and pass a regular on my trips.

Followed one in queuing traffic, 1 car between, but still enough view to get a pretty good look. It was a blue one, same as our Model 3. I'm not a fan of our blue (wifes car so her choice and we ordered before any in the wild in UK) but Model Y looks pretty good in blue, but that may just have been that it is still clean... Rear view, I liked it. And a nice bit of ground clearance too. Proportionally it looked good and sufficiently different below the bumper not to look like a pregnant Model 3.

Unlike the red one that I saw from the front (apologies to the above poster). Its too similar to a Model 3 not to look like a pregnant version. Not to my taste, but then I feel the same with the Model 3 from some angles.

This kind of echo's some of the early shots of the car. Good from some angles, and not from some others.

Only very few other SUV's look OK from any angle, so Model Y is a step ahead of most of the alternatives.

Slightly OT, but good to see that Tesla have hopefully have learned a few lessons from the Model 3's sill and wheel arch areas. Not sure why the Model 3 didn't have any form of protection there (iirc Model 2 and X do), and the later additions (and free handouts after acknowledging an issue in some areas) are not a proper solution. Admittedly it shouldn't have needed it, but it is a weak spot. Good that Model Y seems to have a more permanent fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Js1977
The Model S is the best looking Tesla.
I posted this before, but I think the Model 3 looks like a frog. I guess the Model Y is a bigger frog.

View attachment 537234
I really don't understand what the discussion is about? You buy the Model Y because it is half the cost of a Model X and a proper car by internal proportions and compared to the Model 3. You buy it compared to any other EV because it is fast, you sit up off the road and it has a huge boot! Oh and there still is the matter of superchargers and they are pretty freely available. After all that you may look at the shape?

To be fair, the OP needs to post their picture so we can decide if it's them or the Model Y that's ugly. :)

Personally, the Model Y looks great to me, sort of like those fastback BMW/MBZs that cost way more money and run on dinosaur bones.

Reactions: Js1977