Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, or is the Model Y really ugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was definitely in the ugly camp until I saw it and sat in it in the flesh. The Mrs loved is as she 'wants to sit higher' which I don't understand personally.

Now we are trading in my M3 for a MY due in May. I go with the consolation prize that it's faster than my SR+

Definitely taking the ugly ass hubcaps off though and may even get the Gemini wheels powder coated to fit better with the blackedoutness (it's a word) of the rest of the car

Reactions: Casss
Have any of you seen mods for the back of model Y to make it look attractive?
I guess its a style popular in america but to my euro/aussie eye it is fugly as fk.
I guess something can be done, some suggest those who did a grand job of beating anorexia wear stripes, I wonder if the same trick works on obese cars?

Have any of you seen mods for the back of model Y to make it look attractive?
I guess its a style popular in america but to my euro/aussie eye it is fugly as fk.
I guess something can be done, some suggest those who did a grand job of beating anorexia wear stripes, I wonder if the same trick works on obese cars?

It's not really trying to be pretty - it's about aero efficiency and utility. But yeah, it can look a bit like whale-on-the-road. There are folks who make some body kits - mostly front and rear clips. Some people black out the greenhouse portion of the car for a different look. But not a lot of mods out there.

The coming Highland updates may tweak the nose and headlights once those upgrades reach the Model Y...

If it helps, find a Pontiac Aztec and park next to it :)

• Funny
Reactions: Obie and jonLV
It's not really trying to be pretty - it's about aero efficiency and utility. But yeah, it can look a bit like whale-on-the-road. There are folks who make some body kits - mostly front and rear clips. Some people black out the greenhouse portion of the car for a different look. But not a lot of mods out there.

The coming Highland updates may tweak the nose and headlights once those upgrades reach the Model Y...

If it helps, find a Pontiac Aztec and park next to it :)
ahhh the old comparison hack.
like taking ugly mates when you go out on the sauce.
tried and true.

i wish there were better uberturbine style covers but I think the number of spokes prevents that. There are some ok ones for the model 3 which has the right number of spokes to hide behind 10 ‘blades’ but the Y has 7 so thats either too few or too many for the third party ones.

Still would like something black ot go with the tints. I think the Y looks pretty good at least from the rear 3/4

PXL_20230705_112152393.jpg

I think that they look good from some angles and the looks have grown on me over time.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I started looking at other EVs, like the new Ioniq / Kia,
but I feel that this new style will fade and age very fast,
a little bit like the squared Volvo body shape.

And now I start to like even better the typical Tesla body shape,
with the Model S been my favorite, followed by the Model 3.