Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it necessary to sign up with Plugshare or Chargepoint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really depends on your location but this is what I use:

If you live in one of the 50 states, sign up for:
- Plugshare
- Chargepoint
- Blink

- If you live in California, sign up for
- NRG Evgo
- Greenlots

If you live in Southern California, sign up for
- WattStation
- EV Connect

I think I covered all of them for my location, really no harm in signing up you just got to pay a buck or two for the charging card, better safe than sorry.

In Texas, I signed up for Chargepoint and Blink. Even at "free" chargers like the Whole Foods or Kohl's near me, you need an account to use them. They sent me the RFID cards which I threw into my glove box.

Plugshare is a whole different animal, like others have said. It is basically Google Maps for EV charging locations, including your own personal one if you choose to share that.

As others have said, there's no real downside to getting the Chargepoint RFID card, and it might come in handy. I have one I've used a couple times. I've never been charged, no $25 deposit.

I see a few people have mentioned Blink. I've never seen one of their stations but looking at their map, it's hardly surprising, they have virtually no coverage in my area.

BTW, if you access Plugshare from the Tesla center screen browser, it'll give you its Tesla-specific version.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
First time getting a EV and I am wondering if there is a need to sign up with Plugshare or chargepoint? There seem to be plenty of superchargers around and the X has 220+ miles range. How about destination charging at a hotel? Do I need to have an account?

The other network I'm planning to sign up with is EVGo - a lot of fast chargers out here seem to be on that network, so a free account is cheap insurance (and a CHAdeMO adapter, too, though that's less cheap.)

• Helpful
Reactions: xkwizit
Coming from Leafland, I have subscriptions to Chargepoint, Blink, evGo and AV.
I was visiting Vancouver last weekend and was able to score 20 odd miles with a free chargepoint station in Stanley park. But the bigger benefit was the EV parking right opposite to the aquarium that we were visiting. Our hotel did not have a charge station so those 20 miles gave us peace of mind until we arrived at the supercharger next day with 30 miles left.

For AV, can you just pay with the plug share app? If not how do you sign up?
Yes, you can use Pay with Plugshare to activate for a single session. Those are $7.50 for CHAdeMO or $4 for J1772. If you want to use the monthly unlimited plan for $20, though, you do have to create an account and get an RFID fob for it. Annoyingly, they start the clock on your 1 month as soon as you place the order; they don't wait for it to arrive and for you to activate it. So you are paying for the whole month, but there are a few days at the start that are getting taken from you, because you have no way to use them. *cough* class-action *cough* :rolleyes:

Yes, you can use Pay with Plugshare to activate for a single session. Those are $7.50 for CHAdeMO or $4 for J1772. If you want to use the monthly unlimited plan for $20, though, you do have to create an account and get an RFID fob for it. Annoyingly, they start the clock on your 1 month as soon as you place the order; they don't wait for it to arrive and for you to activate it. So you are paying for the whole month, but there are a few days at the start that are getting taken from you, because you have no way to use them. *cough* class-action *cough* :rolleyes:

I will probably never use the AV station as they don't have any stations in CA but it is always good to have a backup

You want to sign up with PlugShare because if you don't, you can't see the residential locations (which often have HPWCs).
Blink and ChargePoint are free (to get the card) so there's no reason not to have them just in case. Note that in three years, I've used the ChargePoint card once and the Blink card zero (and I'm not in an SC rich area like some folks), but as long as it doesn't cost for the card...
Residential locations? Does this mean other Tesla owners who are willing to allow other Tesla owners use of their own home chargers?

+1 to this Chargepoint is really easy now. I did not need to sign up on their website. These stations have been around for a while, when NFC wasn't on our creditcards or phones. Since several modern smartphones have NFC working, I was just able to tap my phone on the screen to enable charging with Apple Pay. The great thing was that the ones I went to were 100% free. They did a test $1 auth but I'll get that back after seven days.
ChargePoint formerly accepted Apple Pay, but as of a month or two ago, they stopped accepting it at a location near me. Shady, if you ask me, but it did what they wanted, which was forcing me to get an account with them.