Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal for vehicles to jump around on the traffic display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I understand that there should probably be some movement of the gray vehicles on the display, but mine jump around quite a bit and I'm wondering if that is normal. On the drive home, my kids and I joked that large trucks (tractor trailers) seem to dance around in their lane quite a bit. Even when you pull up next to one at a light, it seems to almost always move. Yesterday I noticed that pickup trucks with small trailers (lawn care equipment) start off as large trucks, then transition to something else and finally to pickups as I pass them.

Is this normal? Do your "ghost" vehicles on the display sometimes disappear and reappear? When in traffic and someone is turning, does the vehicle jump from one place to the next?

Being a new Tesla owner, I'm not really sure if this is a problem with a sensor or something, or if it's just the way it is.

BTW: I'm running 2020.28.6

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
When I first got my Model 3 last summer I wondered the same as you. Over the last year with new software releases it has actually gotten better (less “dancing” going on, etc.). What you are describing is also what I see on mine, but I don’t pay much attention to it anymore, other then to notice it getting better over time as new software versions are released. I think it is normal.

Yep, keeps getting better and vehicle shapes keep getting better too. Yesterday I got an alert of a bicyclist (in red) on my right for the first time too, peddling away! Soon there’ll be people with signs on the medians... ;)

Ok, great. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have a sensor out or something and everyone else is seeing rock solid vehicles moving smoothly around their screens.

BTW: the best "traffic cone" I have seen was a little girl squatting down on a hover board. It was funny to see a traffic cone moving around on its own. :D

I see this a lot in my new MY. Particularly with large trucks. The display (sensors) can't seem to decide if the truck is in the lane next to me, or if there's an empty lane between us. The large truck on the display jumps back and forth between the lanes. I initially thought this was just amusing, until I tried changing lanes while on AP. I tried changing into the empty lane next to me, and there was a large truck in the next lane over (1 empty lane between us). In the middle of changing lanes the large truck on the display "jumped" into the lane next to me (the real truck didn't actually change lanes), so AP aborted the lane change and jerked back into the lane I started from. Through many additional attempts, I've learned that it is not possible to change lanes on AP when there is a truck anywhere close. AP will almost always get confused as to the actual location of the large truck and abort. The abort maneuver is actually very abrupt and unnerving. Is this normal? Do others see similar behavior, particularly with large trucks?

Reactions: RNHurt
Everything in context. For many early owners there was no such thing as visualizations and when visualizations were implemented they were pathetic. Improved significantly since and will continue to do so.
Just realize we're all beta testers. Except for a quick check on any visualization changes with new software releases I never pay much attention to the display. Much safer to look out the windows. KIds and passengers do find the display "amusing".

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt