Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to get 1 new tire in back/passenger non-repairable flat (AWD model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to get 1 new tire for back/passenger non-repairable flat (AWD model 3) ?

Tire shop (reputed shop) immediately indicated flat not repairable (understandable, had tear in side wall) . Had gotten earlier tires from them (within last 1 yr - in otherwise good condition). I had a similar situation with another of my cars a month back and they said all 4 should be replaced new (? - the flat was front right in that case - not sure if that matters)

It’s a 2019 AWD 3. I asked tire tech more than a few times if it’s safe on car, passengers with 1 new rear tire and he was “absolutely”. Even said if it were the front that needed to be changed he’d have put new in back (which makes sense, but still it’s 1 new tread and 3 with 1 yr old tread, about 10k miles on them)

And these cost a lot too - thanks!
PS - One earlier discussion with a tech, he indicated AWD may get impacted with 1 new and 3 older tires.

I replaced my 3 tires one by one in my 2018 model 3 over a course of a year or so due to flats. I believe, its advisable to put tires with most thread in the rear. Otherwise no issues here. And yes, they are expensive. I take it to a local place, American Tires who repair flats for free and you can buy hazard warranty.

Reactions: AJ.. and cmy4x4
Please chime in - the tire that had the flat - there was no nail or anything in it to cause a flat as typically the case (Toyo Celcius, Model 3 AWD)

Just the side wall had a rip (!) - I’m confused and thinking about it - should there be any warranty on the tire that I should claim (I did end up getting 1 new tire - same exact) from tire shop? How can a tire just rip on the side/side wall? Something is odd. Also, for future knowledge, what could have caused this damage to the tire?
Given there are no spares (and original OEM wasn’t available till next 30/40 days as I was told at the time I needed original OEM replaced, getting them replaced by local tire shop was the only option) - why would Tesla only cover 1 tow (as they told me during roadside assistance call). Odd situation - felt like tire shop could take you for a ride and charge any price as you don’t want to be towed again to home disagreeing to the price of the new tire.

Thanks 🙏

People get one new tire all the time. It's not a big deal unless your other tires are significantly worn down.

What size wheels do you have? If you have 20in wheels the sidewalls get damaged from potholes. Other than that sidewall damage could be from under inflation or hitting curbs when you park.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056 and AJ..
There's no limited slip differential or mechanical center diff in the Model 3. It's just open diff front and rear. You can run 1 new tire without any mechanical issue.

The "don't run 1 new tire in an AWD" thing is from Subarus and Audis with a mechanical center diff that would get stressed and break.

Reactions: AJ..
The "don't run 1 new tire in an AWD" thing is from Subarus and Audis with a mechanical center diff that would get stressed and break.
Merc too. I remember that from my service writing days. For me it’s more about safety than mechanicals though.

If one tire is all the shop has then it is what it is and you roll it till you can get a second one to put across the aisle.

Reactions: MaxYasgur