TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is it ok to let the car sit at 100% overnight

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by BrettS, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BrettS

BrettS Member

I’m going on a bit of a road trip tomorrow (about 340 miles total) and I’m planning to go about 170 miles from my house to the first supercharger. I just have an S60, so this may be a little tight, but I’m thinking I should be good... especially starting with a 100% charge.

I’m plannng on leaving pretty early, so I won’t have a lot of time to charge in the morning, so I’m wondering it is ok for the battery if I just bump it up to 100% tonight before I sleep or would I be better off trying to schedule a charge or wake up early and go from 90% to 100% in the morning so it didn’t have to sit at 100% all night.

• Like x 1
  2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Yes. It is fine to charge to 100%. You will leave with less since there is some vampire loss. With the S60 (I assume software limited) your 100% is less than 90% the full capacity of the 75kWh battery.

I'm not sure if you will have the same issue that others have with 100% charge, which is that you will NOT have regen when you start. So bear that in mind when you take off in the morning. Test your braking before you really need it.

Also if you really need to maximize your range, you may want to get up early to give that extra charge to 100% before you leave.

• Informative x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You're fine unless you're doing this routinely. A battery will lose about 0.01% capacity per hour at 100% charge-- in other words, an unmeasurably small effect for overnight once in a while.

An option if you're needing to do this frequently is to charge to 90% overnight and then use the app to set at 100% when you wake up. Unless you're rolling out of bed into the car you will likely be close to 100% when you're ready to leave.

• Like x 3
  4. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

In times like these I like to charge to 90% and then schedule a charge to 100% such that it will finish in time to leave in the morning.

You can do this by starting the 100% charge from 90% just long enough to get the car's charge time estimate, then stop it. Next, schedule it to start that much before your morning departure time. I normally subtract another 30min if I really want to leave at a specific time.

• Informative x 4
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If I'm too tight in the morning, I'll charge to 95% overnight. The last 5% is pretty quick.

• Helpful x 2
  6. BrettS

BrettS Member

Mine is a 2015 S60, so not a software limited S75, but it sounds like it’s still not too terrible to charge to 100 infrequently.

• Informative x 1
  7. BrettS

BrettS Member

This might be the best option... I should have at least an hour from when I wake up until we actually leave, so hopefully it can top it off fairly quickly and I won’t have any vampire loss either since it should finish shortly before we leave.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone:)

• Like x 1
  8. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

May I suggest you take a look at plugshare.com before you go. Check out your route and you can see what other charging options there are between you and the supercharger, and the supercharger to you destination.

Often times there are campsites or hotels with 14-50 chargers that you could stop and use for an hour or so to get that extra 20-30 miles to make your trip. Also you could check the Tesla website to see if there are destination chargers that you can fall back on along the route. Just use these sources as a back-up, and really for piece of mind.

Have fun!

• Helpful x 2
  9. tel

tel Member

You can always set the car to start charging so that it will get to 100% around the time you intend to leave. For example, if you're charging at 240 volts and 40 amps, to get from say 60% to 100%, the math would be:
    100 - 60 = 40.
    40% of 60kWh = 24kWh = 24000Wh
    24000Wh / (240V * 40A) = 2.5 hours. Maybe round to 3 hours to be safe.
    If you're leaving at 6:00 am, start charging at 3:00 am.
    Obviously it's not perfectly accurate, but I've always found it to be pretty close!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

The car will tell you how long the charge is going to take if you start it. You can stop it after it has done the math for you. Keep in mind the car takes into account charge taper and the like, which makes a little more difference when trying to get 100% charge.

11. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Your location is listed as Orlando. So which direction are you going where it is 170 miles to the supercharger? St. Augustine, Ocala, Tampa, and Ft. Drum are all within about 100 miles. Inquiring minds want to know.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Mine has never been at 100% for more than a few hours. Not sure if I agree with the 0.01% as a flat rate loss as the longer you leave it at 100% the longer it will be degrading at an accelerated rate. i.e. never store your lithium ion battery fully charged as it will degrade much faster. Many hobbiest smart batteries will intentionally bleed off at much higher rates in order to prevent from being stored full like my Phantom 3 Pro batteries.

Also, the warmer the environment, the faster the degradation will be while full. A hot 100% full battery is the worst which is why I've never supercharged to 100%.

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Is there even any taper when charging with 240V AC?

14. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Yes, but smaller and not as pronounced until you get to the 99%'ish range.

Jeff

• Informative x 1
  15. BrettS

BrettS Member

I’m actually a bit north of Orlando... between Daytona and Orlando and we were heading south to the Everglades and then the keys. I could have gone down through Orlando and hit the orlando and/or ft drum superchargers, but it’s shorter both distance wise and time wise because I would avoid the Orlando traffic by heading east, then taking 95 down, but in that case I get on 95 a bit south of the Port Orange supercharger and the first one I hit is Port St. Lucie.

16. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Sounds like Melbourne would be handy. Hope you did ok on the drive.

17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't obsess over this stuff. I left my car at 100% overnight and actually gained 2 miles of range by doing that! lol

18. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You realize of course that you didn't actually gain range, you just recalibrated the estimate. (New owners may see your post and think you really gained range).

19. kort677

kort677 Banned

as long as it isn't a regular thing, charging to 100% and letting it sit for a few hours isn't going to cause any damage to the battery

• Like x 1
  20. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Teslas have much smarter BMSs than you seem to be giving them credit for. For example, while supercharging, the car cools the battery actively and will slow the charge rate if the battery exceeds temperature tolerances. The car knows the temperature and state of charge (and probably more) about every cell in the pack. It's much more advanced than a hobby vehicle system. Same for storage under hot environments -- the car will protect the battery, even if that means using up some power to cool or heat the battery as-needed. (exception: Range Mode sacrifices battery longevity for maximum range and should be avoided unless completely necessary)