Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to store a Tesla in an NYC garage that only charges on request?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - I'm about to accept delivery of my model X and the NYC garages that I'm looking at only charge on request... after charged, the car sits unplugged. The owner's manual says the car should always be left plugged into a charger. What impact will this have, and do I need to be concerned about this? Anything else I should consider? Thank you!

Hi guys - I'm about to accept delivery of my model X and the NYC garages that I'm looking at only charge on request... after charged, the car sits unplugged. The owner's manual says the car should always be left plugged into a charger. What impact will this have, and do I need to be concerned about this? Anything else I should consider? Thank you!

The best practice is to plug when not driven but it's not practical for everyone so you just do your best for your situation and not worry about it.

As long as your charge is from 50% to 90% as recommended by the Tesla charging screen, you are fine. If you need to unplug that would be fine too.

• Helpful
Reactions: ensnare and GSP

That will be ok, but note that you should not run sentry mode (as you likely are planning to) because it will increase the "daily energy usage" on the car quite a bit. On a model 3, running sentry mode takes about 20 miles off the car every 24 hours. Conversely, NOT doing anything that keeps the car awake takes about 2-3 miles off the car every 24 hour period.

I only mention that, because the people who tend to want to use sentry mode 24 / 7 are the very people who shouldnt, from an energy drain perspective (those without dedicated charging / garages).

As for your original question, the car doesnt have to stay plugged in, its just "easier" that way. If you cant do it, you cant, and it just means more planning related to charging etc, it wont hurt the car as long as you dont let it sit at a low charge level for a very long time.

• Helpful
Reactions: ensnare and GSP
Thanks guys, extremely helpful. I'll turn sentry mode off at the home garage, and will have to remember to turn it back on when I street park (for a short period of time). Will this type of storage - charging, and discharging in storage - have a negative impact on the health of the battery? Also wondering about cold weather - the garage isn't heated, but it is covered - which should help buffer cold winter nights. Anything else to keep in mind there?