Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to turn off Cabin Overheat Setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you HVAC without A/C quickly cools the cabin even without A/C, so there's no need to turn A/C at all. I tried it when I had cabin overheat off, when it was like 105F, and the interior was over 135, and in about the 3 minutes it took me to get to the car, it was well below the 114F cabin protection limit, so A/C is obviously not necessary for that feature... to my surprise. So I immediately turn it on :). It shouldn't consume too much energy like that, but could be wrong. Anyway, my car is always in the garage, so it'd only work the rare time we have to park the car somewhere during the day, so energy consumption is not a concern for us. If my car was going to sit under the hot sun all day, I'd monitor battery percentage often the first day, to make sure it'd leave enough range to safely make it home.

Kind of on the same topic.

with Cabin protection turn on with A/C has anyone had to refill their freon on their cars ? Just wanted to know in advance as I heard ours uses the more expense type? R1234YF ?
You shouldn't lose refrigerant unless you have some sort of leak but I think that this a trade off people have to consider with this feature. Some want to keep Cabin Overheat Protection on with AC to keep the temps down to theoretically protect some of the electronics life span however by doing so you will run the HVAC system more and risk shortening the lifespan of the AC compressor, condenser, and blower motor. For me, the Florida heat just causes too much power drain and just seems silly to cool a car for 8 hours a day with no one in it. I turned it off the 2nd day of ownership.

I did a trip to Palm Springs last week. 118 degrees. I had cabin protection on and it drained nearly 15% over the course of a day. Seems like a lot of energy to loose, but then again I don't know what the electronics can handle.

The first summer I owned my Model 3, the cabin overheat protection feature didn’t exist. It survived a Phoenix summer with flying colors, so the electronics can handle it just fine.
Agreed, if the electronics couldn't handle the heat then Tesla would have a ton of warranty claims on their hands. Also, keep in mind Cabin Overheat Protection has parameters. I believe it still won't enable if you have 20% or less battery charge. I also think it only runs for up to 12 hours straight before it will shut down. That said, the electronics need to be designed to handle the heat and cold.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Agreed, if the electronics couldn't handle the heat then Tesla would have a ton of warranty claims on their hands. Also, keep in mind Cabin Overheat Protection has parameters. I believe it still won't enable if you have 20% or less battery charge. I also think it only runs for up to 12 hours straight before it will shut down. That said, the electronics need to be designed to handle the heat and cold.

Tesla has had in non car grade equipment in the past. With their passion for efficiency and cost cutting I wouldn't be surprised if some electronics do fail early without temperature controls.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Tesla has had in non car grade equipment in the past. With their passion for efficiency and cost cutting I wouldn't be surprised if some electronics do fail early without temperature controls.
Hopefully they designed them to last longer in their high volume Model 3 and Y, otherwise folks will lose confidence. The interiors of the 3 and Y are not that great considering the price point. You can tell all the money went into the battery and powertrain.

And you can tell this because of the dozen equivalent EVs that sell for significantly less?

Etc. Just check Google. The fact that the competition has no equivalent evs for less doesn't speak to Tesla per car profit margin.

Tesla has amazing profit margins on a per car basis compared to the rest of the industry. I own a 2021 LR, but definitely corners are cut...

Kind of on the same topic.

with Cabin protection turn on with A/C has anyone had to refill their freon on their cars ? Just wanted to know in advance as I heard ours uses the more expense type? R1234YF ?
My 2018 car does not have R1234YF. It has R-134a according to the sticker under the frunk. R-134a (660g +/- 20g). And also has the lubricant POE ND-11 (150g +/- 10g).

I live in Nebraska, so not as good as dinner places you other people live. I've never used cabin overheat protection since I got my car in April 2018 and 63,800 miles ago. I would leave it off if I lived somewhere hotter and just pre-cool the cabin from the app 5 minutes before I got in. I'm not concerned about the heat affecting the electronics or interior.

Reactions: Snowball316
Tesla has amazing profit margins on a per car basis compared to the rest of the industry. I own a 2021 LR, but definitely corners are cut...
I figger they took the amazing profit margin from my car and built another Supercharger. GM takes the less-amazing profit margin on a Bolt and pays for a Silverado ad. So I'm OK with the profit margins.

As far as the cut corners, we might have to disagree on that one.

Reactions: android04
My 2018 car does not have R1234YF. It has R-134a according to the sticker under the frunk. R-134a (660g +/- 20g). And also has the lubricant POE ND-11 (150g +/- 10g).

I live in Nebraska, so not as good as dinner places you other people live. I've never used cabin overheat protection since I got my car in April 2018 and 63,800 miles ago. I would leave it off if I lived somewhere hotter and just pre-cool the cabin from the app 5 minutes before I got in. I'm not concerned about the heat affecting the electronics or interior.
Thanks I couldn't remember refrigerant we use as we are in a transitional period that swings back and forth of each each type. I too am not worried about the screen as well. Its more of the hot seat to sit on. I do use Heat Shield for my front window.