Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to charge to 100% if I am immediately going to use it right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that Tesla recommends charging only to 90%, but is that for those of you that have home chargers and it will sit at over 90 for a very long time?

I only charge at public chargers and I have to drive away from them just to go home so in my case would it be okay to charge to $100 since I am going to use that battery right away?
I get that it feels more productive to charge to 100% before leaving a (SC) supercharger to go home, but what are your driving habits?

For example if you’re using up, say, 70% before you come back to your SC, it’s probably more efficient to charge up to 90 and come back at 20 than it is to charge up to 100 and come back at 30.

Here is a chart you can refer too which plots various SOC ranges against battery degration. This is from a laboratory battery test and not a test of a Tesla battery.

View attachment 753532
As I’ve noted before, this is a very misleading chart .. since it plots degradation against cycles instead of miles driven, resulting in a very distorted impression. Be CAREFUL when interfering this chart.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Regardless of how many "DST events" you run, it's good to remember that the car will charge just fine on 110 volts. An extension cord is acceptable, and a car sitting outside using an extension cord from somewhere inside the house will charge the car enough for a day's use usually overnight. You don't need to drive off to a supercharger, even if it sounds like a quick fix, but if you do, remember that you have to sit and wait, usually alone, while the family enjoys "The Lone Ranger" without you. A 110-volt extension cord from your house or apartment will do the trick safely and completely while you sleep. Many here use them on occasion.

I also have built (Thanks to The Home Depot) several "extension cords" using #6 wire and the outlets and plugs necessary, and I keep them in my frunk. One is over 50' long, and I had one several cars ago that was 100' long. You never know when you'll need one. And contrary to all the "advice" on not using an extension cord, I've never had any type of trouble. I check for warmth at the plugs and outlets, but I have never felt anything more than mild warming.

Reactions: SWIPE
Regardless of how many "DST events" you run, it's good to remember that the car will charge just fine on 110 volts. An extension cord is acceptable, and a car sitting outside using an extension cord from somewhere inside the house will charge the car enough for a day's use usually overnight. You don't need to drive off to a supercharger, even if it sounds like a quick fix, but if you do, remember that you have to sit and wait, usually alone, while the family enjoys "The Lone Ranger" without you. A 110-volt extension cord from your house or apartment will do the trick safely and completely while you sleep. Many here use them on occasion.
You don’t know their housing situation, so don’t make any assumptions about what they can or cannot safely do.

From the liability of someone else tripping on the cord to fines from the property owner or municipality, there’s so many limitations you may not be aware of.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
The chart I presented is one of many ways to look at battery life and, as I said, this is a laboratory test and as far as I know Tesla batteries were not used. If is offered as a point of reference / information, so interpret it as you wish and use it or dismiss it as you see fit.

The chart I presented is one of many ways to look at battery life and, as I said, this is a laboratory test and as far as I know Tesla batteries were not used. If is offered as a point of reference / information, so interpret it as you wish and use it or dismiss it as you see fit.
Understood, but see my post here explaining why that chart is bad (not blaming you, just alerting people to be careful)...

Understood, but see my post here explaining why that chart is bad (not blaming you, just alerting people to be careful)...
The chart is not bad, it presents what it intends to show. What you have done is create a new model that relates degration to miles. But your model can also be misleading based on the data used. Consider: 100,000 miles traveled in a car with a 400 mile range.

75-65% is just 10% * 400 miles = 40 miles per cycle which is then 2,500 cycle which plots to 96%
or
100-25% is 75% * 400 miles = 300 miles per cycle which is then 333 cycles, which plots to 94%

Now if I picked 75-65% insread of 100-25% then I would have gotten 96%!

Your model is probably better conceptually, but varies based on the SOC selected, whereas the original chart does not have this problem, so is your version bad? Of course not! They are simply different presentations, both valid and both have their limitations. 😉

Regarding charging to 100%:
If you use it right away, it is fine. However it should not be too frequent.

Repeated supercharging also affects battery longevity. Temperature also affects the battery, it likes to remain at 72 F and at half state of charge which are ideal conditions.

Last edited:
So I know that Tesla recommends charging only to 90%, but is that for those of you that have home chargers and it will sit at over 90 for a very long time?

I only charge at public chargers and I have to drive away from them just to go home so in my case would it be okay to charge to $100 since I am going to use that battery right away?
Frequent SC is more of the problem than SOC I think. Just manage your expectations , the battery won’t melt but something like 10% deg at year 3 would be “normal”

Charging to 100 is perfectly fine as long as you’re not doing it everyday. Don’t let the range anxiety get to you about having that extra battery percentage. Most of the time you don’t need the car above 70-80% in my experience don’t worry about getting home with low battery. Have fun with the car don’t stress.

Here is a chart you can refer too which plots various SOC ranges against battery degration. This is from a laboratory battery test and not a test of a Tesla battery.

View attachment 816106

1655135387625.png

Do you have a source for that? Because all battery data I have seen does not do it that way, including that exact chart, which I have seen many times before.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I too would like to get a source for that graph so that we can verify how a “DST Cycle” is defined.

If, as @ATPMSD posits, a single “DST Cycle” is defined as one discharge/charge event and does not account for the depth of discharge in any way (in which case discharging from 75% to 65% OR from 100% to 25% are both counted as a single DST Cycle), then the chart actually shows the opposite of what it appears to show: that deeper discharges are better for real-world battery longevity.

The 100%-25% scenario shows degradation ~3x greater than the 75%-65% scenario per DST Cycle. But you’re extracting roughly 7.5x more energy per discharge in the 100%-25% case. So once you factor in the depth of discharge, the 75%-65% scenario would actually be degrading ~2.5x faster than the 100%-25% scenario when assessed on a per-kWh or per-mile-driven basis.

This seems implausible to me (based on everything I’ve read about battery health over the years), which is why I also question the assertion that a “DST Cycle” on this graph doesn’t correct for depth of discharge.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I charge to 100% whenever I need to drive more than 100 miles. My schedule normally requires driving over 100 miles 1-2 times a week. I do this:

1. Charge my car to 85% as usual the night before.
2. Before I sleep I turn on the scheduled charging and set it to start charging at 6:30am.
3. I change the charge percent to 100%.
4. By morning (8am) it's at 325 miles.

I charge to 100% whenever I need to drive more than 100 miles. My schedule normally requires driving over 100 miles 1-2 times a week. I do this:

1. Charge my car to 85% as usual the night before.
2. Before I sleep I turn on the scheduled charging and set it to start charging at 6:30am.
3. I change the charge percent to 100%.
4. By morning (8am) it's at 325 miles.
Completely unnecessary to charge to 100% for 100 miles of travel. I only charge to 100% if I would otherwise be predicted to arrive back home with less than 15-20%.

View attachment 816111

Sorry to necro this thread, but I too would like to get a source for that graph so that we can verify how a “DST Cycle” is defined.

If, as @ATPMSD posits, a single “DST Cycle” is defined as one discharge/charge event and does not account for the depth of discharge in any way (in which case discharging from 75% to 65% OR from 100% to 25% are both counted as a single DST Cycle), then the chart actually shows the opposite of what it appears to show: that deeper discharges are better for real-world battery longevity.

The 100%-25% scenario shows degradation ~3x greater than the 75%-65% scenario per DST Cycle. But you’re extracting roughly 7.5x more energy per discharge in the 100%-25% case. So once you factor in the depth of discharge, the 75%-65% scenario would actually be degrading ~2.5x faster than the 100%-25% scenario when assessed on a per-kWh or per-mile-driven basis.

This seems implausible to me (based on everything I’ve read about battery health over the years), which is why I also question the assertion that a “DST Cycle” on this graph doesn’t correct for depth of discharge.
See my earlier post here about why this is a VERY misleading chart.

Completely unnecessary to charge to 100% for 100 miles of travel. I only charge to 100% if I would otherwise be predicted to arrive back home with less than 15-20%.
I feel it is necessaary since it's a long distance. One route I take the speed limit is 70mph. I drive 80mph and easily use up "150 miles" on the battery. Charging to 100% when using it well past 85% is perfectly fine. I even asked the service center twice (two different techs) and they both stated it was a nonissue. The only problem is if the car is KEPT at 100% for a long period of time.

Also, for you being at 15-20% may be fine. But, not everyone has the same driving habits as you. I own and manage properties that are as far out as 1.5 hours drive. Not going to allow my battery to be low "just because". That's foolish. I need my car to drive a good distance at any moment.

Allowing your battery to be down to 15-20% is the same as people who don't fill their gas tank until "E" - LOL.

Last edited:
I feel it is necessaary since it's a long distance. One route I take the speed limit is 70mph. I drive 80mph and easily use up "150 miles" on the battery. Charging to 100% when using it well past 85% is perfectly fine. I even asked the service center twice (two different techs) and they both stated it was a nonissue. The only problem is if the car is KEPT at 100% for a long period of time.
The service centers (and Tesla itself) don't give a damn about minimizing your battery degradation. They just care that it doesn't degrade so much that they have to pay for a replacement under warranty (and even if they do, they do not guarantee that you'll get a new one, only one that has less degradation than the warranty guarantees).
Also, for you being at 15-20% may be fine. But, not everyone has the same driving habits as you. I own and manage properties that are as far out as 1.5 hours drive. Not going to allow my battery to be low "just because". That's foolish. I need my car to drive a good distance at any moment.
The effect is cumulative. Keeping the battery at a higher SoC than it needs to be accelerates calendar aging. Keeping it high just because you might need to drive "a good distance" on a moment's notice does more harm than good, especially if these moments occur only a few times a year. It's probably better to supercharge in the rare case that does happen if it only happens once every few months.

There's no harm in going all the way below 10%. And if you need just a little bit more to get back home, it's probably about 3-5 minutes on a supercharger once you get below 20% SoC.
Allowing your battery to be down to 15-20% is the same as people who don't fill their gas tank until "E" - LOL.
No, it's not the same, although there are benefits to running the tank all the way down to empty (reducing the overhead of burning fuel to get fuel). Plus, have you ever flown a plane? You never put more fuel in than what's required to get to your destination, plus a small reserve, because it takes fuel to carry fuel. But in this case, it's like keeping your tank more full than it has to be literally causes your tank to get smaller, and the more full the tank, the faster it shrinks. If I had a gas pump in my garage and the tank constantly shrinks in proportion to how much fuel is in it, then I'd only ever put in just enough fuel to get to my destination and back, plus a reserve, just like you do in a plane. You certainly don't ever put in a 40% reserve; that's ridiculous (unless you are flying to IPC (Mataveri International Airport on Easter Island), the world's most isolated airport, where an incident that closes the runway means you have to go all the way back to your origin at SCL). Even at 80 mph, you'll get 250-270 miles of real world range out of 325 indicated miles. I'm not sure exactly how far you are driving but you said you need to go "more than" 100 miles. Except you're charging up enough to go "more than" 250 miles, which is ridiculous. Even if you had to drive 150 (real world) miles in a day @ 80 mph, you'd easily make it back with about 10-15% left if you charged to 70%.

Last edited: