Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to discharge a battery bellow 20% for a short period of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I know the rule of thumb when it comes to SOC is 20-80% and it is okay to go above 80% for a short period of time like before the long road trip when your battery will discharge bellow 80% after an hour or so of driving. However, when it comes to the lower level of SOC, is it okay to discharge battery bellow 20% when you know you will plug in your car pretty soon? For example, when I am on a trip I like to plan my charging is that when I arrive at the charging station the SOC is around 5-10% so the car is charging faster compare to if I arrive with 20-25% SOC. Now I am wondering, if I am harming a battery and it is better to arrive at charging station with above 20% SOC or it is okay to arrive with 5-10% since I leave it bellow 20% for 15-30 mins before charging back up?

You can DEFINITELY go under 20%. Heck, you can end up at 0%. The important thing is to not leave the battery for long periods there.
You can DEFINITELY charge to 100%. Again, the important part is not not leave it there for long.
In both of these cases, the car will let you know.

Either you use the car without worrying and understand that it will manage what needs to be managed. Or you are an optimizer, you read ALL the information and comprehend it completely. You cannot be half of an optimizer and only read partially without comprehending. That leads to miscomprehension and worries like this. :)

You can DEFINITELY go under 20%. Heck, you can end up at 0%. The important thing is to not leave the battery for long periods there.
You can DEFINITELY charge to 100%. Again, the important part is not not leave it there for long.
In both of these cases, the car will let you know.

Either you use the car without worrying and understand that it will manage what needs to be managed. Or you are an optimizer, you read ALL the information and comprehend it completely. You cannot be half of an optimizer and only read partially without comprehending. That leads to miscomprehension and worries like this. :)
lol, I am definatelly an optimizer. My first electric car and my first such an experience. Plan to own it for a long time that's why want to optimize the battery life.

Then you must read ALL the information. You will see there are shady places, things that contradict themselves a bit. As in all subjects. as you learn more you realize you don't know everything and there is no certainty. You will figure out what makes good sense and will settle down on a routine that works for you. Give it some time and don't stress too much. The Teslas are probably the cars that have the best battery management system, that handle most of the problems automatically for you.