Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to drive the Model 3 hard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a road near my home - starts with about a 1/2 mile stretch of straight road, and then five sharp "20 mph" curves within the next mile, then another straight stretch. Speed limit is 40 but I've always had to slow down to at least 25 to take these in any other vehicle.

Anyway the other night I'm coming home late and when I turn on this road, some dingus in a gigantic-normous Ram pickup is tailgating me to a silly degree (doing 48 in a 40) over the first stretch, no other cars in sight. Like, this a-hole was right in my back seat. So I proceed to do what I always do in the M3, which is not slow down at all on the switchbacks. :D I reach the end, and Mr. Ram is a good 200 yards behind. Hopefully a future Tesla customer...

That was just the most satisfying example, but I drive on several roads like that multiple times per day, and 5k miles later the car drives even better than the day I got it. Bonus: actually getting places quicker!

Can you describe what you mean be squirrelly? Like wobbling, or shaking the steering wheel?
There was some pretty serious wobbling, sometimes the car jerked left and right on a perfectly straight road. The steering wheel was fine and I had no problems controlling it but I definitely didn't feel like I would be happy doing anything other than going straight like that with these tires.

Curious, did this happen to you or are you just hating Tesla in general?

Fully aware.
Not hate. Just stating facts. It was more for some of the newer folks here. I've heard the rationalization over and over so many times here about fewer moving parts than ICEVs with transmissions == more reliable yet that obviously didn't prove to be the case for the first few years of Model S.

I would bet these cases are in decline unless you think Tesla doesn't understand 6 sigma...
As for whether they understand 6 sigma, let's just say a 3 that a guy at my work picked up at Tesla Model 3 Event: Hundreds Of Cars Delivered, More Stock Inbound had numerous noticeable exterior alignment problems (e.g. trunk is off, rear glass is off, one rear door off, frunk is slightly off). Right as I walked up, I could see the frunk had alignment probs. Was actually somewhat comical to both of us.

Red - paint quality issues is pretty terrible.

10 Least Reliable Cars had the Model X as being dead last. The previous year, the X was middle of the bottom 10 at 10 Least Reliable Cars, instead of being dead last.

But compare the failure rate. There's less than 200,000 Model S+X combined out there, and there's been hundreds or thousands of drive unit replacements for failure or noise. There's also been up to rev -Q (17?) revisions of the large drive unit.

But we have tens of thousands of Model 3s delivered now, and we have what -- a small handful of reports of drive unit failure? And no revisions to the drive unit yet that I know of. Way lower failure rate.
Too early to tell. Model 3 hasn't been in the hands of real customers for very long yet.

Again, see my comparison with Leaf, which has now much older than any Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tracksyde and EinSV
Pretty much any piece of hardware will hold up better if you handle it with kid gloves, so there's your validation.

ph_mens_driving.jpg

Does it have to be kid gloves? Can it be made of Deerskin?

the suspension.

I do baby over speed bumps as I would any front-end, especially because of the vehicle weight. Gives the impression I'm a careful driver before I tear off. I just replaced my struts (myself) on my Murano. Never heard of front end issues on the Teslas though. I'm sure someone here will find one though.

Seems like this is the worry club. I enjoy the hell out of this car. Changed my life. Go have fun, quit worrying!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Only negative facts. You're a hater.
No on both.
Mine had zero issues, only summons on Android.
Right, so your vehicle at this point in time is representative of all Model 3's in the wild before and after. And, yours will have "zero issues" from this point forward. None of the others are relevant because it didn't happen to you, yet.

Last edited:
. Never heard of front end issues on the Teslas though. I'm sure someone here will find one though.
Sure there have been.

Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED
Another front suspension control arm failure
Cracked forelink?
Model X Front Suspension Failure
Power Steering falling apart I believe turned into Tesla voluntarily recalls 123,000 Model S cars over faulty steering component. Power Steering falling apart pointed out the Land Rover Evoque had a recall for this. Power Steering falling apart has a pic of the parts having a Land Rover logo on them.

BTW, ignore the weirdo Keef who has an ax to grind (or maybe some mental issue) and seems to be behind finding pics of wrecked Teslas, jumping to (the worst) conclusions and filing fake safety complaints w/NHTSA. That's a waste of everyone's time. Only legitimate safety defects should be reported to the proper authorities, not fake ones.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as too hard. Although looking at all the Model 3 drivers on the road here in CA, you'd thing they are all grandmothers. I have not seen anyone drive a Model 3 as it should be driven. I must be a unicorn.

For me, ~775 Wh/mi on every trip. I drive my new P3D like its the last ride to the junk yard. I am either flooring it or braking but never coasting. I currently get less than 100 miles on a full battery. I figure, I'll try breaking as many motors as I can before the warranty expires. After that I my change my driving style a little. But yea you can drive it as hard as you can. Other than tires and brakes there shouldn't be any problems Tesla can't fix under their drive train warranty.

Last edited:
  • Funny
I floored my P3D as soon as I exited Fremont Delivery Hub's parking lot and couldn't stop laughing for the next minute. That's the best way to break in the car as far as I'm concerned.
Hell yes, I did the same thing. I inched slowly out of the Fremont Delivery parking lot like a cautious driver then floored it till I hit 140mph. Almost ran off the road as it had a slight chicane, when I realized that the suspension is not as sporty as the motors. It dips and jumps at high speed curves. Will have to definitely replace that suspension.

• Funny
Ever since Teslas started to show up on the road I always spotted them, but I also hoped the owners would drive faster, instead, these cars are more like efficiency champions. Only once some S accelerated on a ramp...unreal.
In a way that's good for us fast drivers as their slow driving will create good rapport between cops and this model car so we won't stand out.

• Funny
For me, ~775 Wh/mi on every trip. I drive my new P3D like its the last ride to the junk yard. I am either flooring it or braking but never coasting. I currently get less than 100 miles on a full battery. I figure, I'll try breaking as many motors as I can before the warranty expires. After that I my change my driving style a little. But yea you can drive it as hard as you can. Other than tires and brakes there shouldn't be any problems Tesla can't fix under their drive train warranty.
Hell yes, I did the same thing. I inched slowly out of the Fremont Delivery parking lot like a cautious driver then floored it till I hit 140mph.
I don't know if you're serious or not, but oh boy, you're going to get plenty of tickets and maybe even some reckless driving charges if you get caught. A friend of a friend in CA got one of the latter for doing some speed below 140 mph. I'd have to ask him what the speed was but it was likely somewhere above 95 mph.

I've never had a speeding ticket but over a decade ago in San Jose, I was pulled over by SJPD for "taking off too fast" from a stop sign near home. This is in a 35 mph zone and I was driving a '93 Dodge Caravan V6 (only ~142 hp FWD w/3-speed automatic), not exactly a rocket. Luckily, I only got a warning.

From what I understand, for gunning it, you could get ticketed for exhibition of speed (23109(c) of Law section).

BTW, there is no "drive train" warranty beyond basic warranty + drive unit and battery pack warranty: Vehicle Warranty | Model 3. Example would be half shafts wouldn't be covered beyond the basic warranty just like they weren't on this guy's S: Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty.

Last edited:
What I worry about when driving a vehicle hard is not the engine/motors as much as the suspension.

On other cars (specifically two different non-Tesla makes and models), I've had wheels fall off from bad ball joints.

I agree that the suspension is to soft. I bottom out and hit the rear stoppers with a thunk almost every day. This car screams for replacement sport coil-overs.