Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to use Rain X on side mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to use Rain X for the first time. Done a little searching here but unclear whether ok to use on wing mirrors? I’ve been having some issues with droplets making the mirrors useless and having to carry a chamois. How long does Rain x take to dry in Temps below 10 C? Getting a lot of rain at the moment with only short dry spells. What type of cloth do you use to apply it and is Autoglym shampoo sufficient to clean the windows before application? Sorry for all the questions but Ltd info on the bottle and I haven’t used it on any of my cars. Any advice appreciated. TIA.

Planning to use Rain X for the first time. Done a little searching here but unclear whether ok to use on wing mirrors? I’ve been having some issues with droplets making the mirrors useless and having to carry a chamois. How long does Rain x take to dry in Temps below 10 C? Getting a lot of rain at the moment with only short dry spells. What type of cloth do you use to apply it and is Autoglym shampoo sufficient to clean the windows before application? Sorry for all the questions but Ltd info on the bottle and I haven’t used it on any of my cars. Any advice appreciated. TIA.

No is a safe answer. They are self dimming and may be coated which the Rainer would ruin. Never use it on any plastic or acrylics as it will craze.
I use it on all exterior glass, roof included. Works great. Follow instructions and you’ll be fine. All glass except windshield is good for 6 months to a year. Windshield more often due to wiper use.

The water beading is an issue with the design of the Tesla side view mirrors. There isn't enough turbulence to move the droplets in my experience. It ends up making the mirrors less useful IMHO.

I love hydroponic coating on all other exterior glass surfaces however and anti-fog on the inside as well.

I use Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray on the side mirrors as well as my windshield and it helps keep both clear during the rain. At 40 mph, the windshield clears itself like RainX.

If you are concerned about water beading on the mirrors, you can try a hydrophobic spray wax or sealant that is more prone to sheet water than cause beading.

Here is a video as a reference:

It is just fine to use on the mirrors.

the mirrors are glass, rainx works on glass.

to the person talking about the special coating, please bring some evidence that the coating is on the exterior of the glass.

Thanks all for the advice. Managed to squeeze in washing car and putting Rain X on windows on Boxing Day ahead of driving down to Chamonix. While we did not experience heavy rain, the rain we experienced just flew off the windscreen. Side mirrors seem ok although a bit smeary.