Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it only me or happens with any one else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Is it me or happens with other Model-3 owners too?

I usually park my Model-3 far end of the parking lot, still see someone parked right next to me when I return back from my shopping. Even if there are other parking spots, still they want to park right next to my car.

Just an annoyance.

Thanks!

Attachments

• m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 145
Hello,

I usually park my Model-3 far end of the parking lot, still see someone parked right next to me when I return back from my shopping. Even if there are other parking spots, still they want to park right next to my car.

Just an annoyance.

Thanks!

People know that your Tesla got cameras so they want to park next to you just get a free surveillance service too!

I've read somewhere that this has to do with psychology. Happens to me all the time in empty locker rooms. Either I'm changing and someone "parks" himself right next to me, or I return from my workout and notice that the locker right next to mine also has a lock on it despite literary every other locker being available. Sometimes there's three locks in a row when I return :D

This has been happening to me ever since I started driving. I park all the way in the back of a public lot and upon returning to my car a Expedition, Suburban, giant truck, car, whatever...... is parked right next to me. I just don't get it! Maybe it's the nice car they want to be next to? Maybe they want to piss the owner off because they cannot afford that car?

Luckily some lots have spots laid out in a way where a curb, grass, shrubs, etc.. are positioned at the end of a row offering some protection.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hello,

Just an annoyance.

Thanks!

Yep, I’m like you in that regard. Always park my vehicle far away from everyone. Occasionally, I will see that someone parked beside me when I return to my vehicle. Yeah, I find it annoying too. However, as long as they leave enough space between our vehicles (so that there no risk for their doors will hit/touch mine when fully open), then that makes me feel a little better and less annoyed.

Why do people do this? Who knows... I’d like to think they are not trying to be mean-spirited and just want to be around someone (you know, that theory/mentality about safety in numbers...).

Pro tip: From your photo, I see that you did not park in one of those open end-spots. You should always look for and park in an end-spot, because that limits the risk of anyone parking next to you to just one side of your vehicle. Rookie!! :D;)

Bonus tip: Always park away from and uphill of those shopping cart return corrals. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a shopping cart that has been left in the sloped parking lot (because someone was simply too lazy to push their cart back to the return corral... another annoyance/pet peeve of mine) and there are other vehicles downhill from and in the path of that shopping cart. Just a little nudge from a stiff breeze/wind is all it would take to start that shopping cart rolling freely down the sloped parking lot and hitting one or more vehicles. Makes me cringe....:confused:

Happened to me. I parked far away. Man and woman park next to mine. They come back after doing their business in the courthouse and door-ding my car. He looks at it and drives off.

We're a state with no front license plate. Great Sentry photos of the guy and his wife all masked up. I thought about social media "Do you know this man and woman?", but decided "discretion is the better part of valor." I evicted them from my mind and moved on. (But, whoa, those bad thoughts of sledgehammering his truck if I ever found it took a while to get out of my head!)

Hello,

Just an annoyance.

Thanks!
You weren't really all that far from the other cars. Need to go further, at least one more empty spot, and put one side of your car against a buffer, so you can give more space to the side where a car may park. Also park on the high-end of the lot so carts don't roll into you.

Here's how I park. The lightpost will make any car parking on my driver's side give more space. This lot is steeper than the pic makes it look, but carts definitely roll down to the right.
IMG_5447.jpeg

You weren't really all that far from the other cars. Need to go further, at least one more empty spot, and put one side of your car against a buffer, so you can give more space to the side where a car may park. Also park on the high-end of the lot so carts don't roll into you.

Here's how I park. The lightpost will make any car parking on my driver's side give more space. This lot is steeper than the pic makes it look, but carts definitely roll down to the right.
View attachment 583520
Most cars only have a driver, so you would have been better off parking on the other side of the light post to protect from THEIR driver door.

Pro tip: From your photo, I see that you did not park in one of those open end-spots. You should always look for and park in an end-spot, because that limits the risk of anyone parking next to you to just one side of your vehicle.

One caveat, parking on an end can get you in trouble if there are cars opposite as in the photo below (danger area marked in red). They can back out and hit you. I had it happen once, I thought I was keeping myself from being damaged and got ran into.

And if there isn't an island on the end, in a crowded lot you'll get some jackass that parks next to you, often close, because there aren't spots available. So you're actually worse off in that case.

Another tip is to park on the passenger side of vehicles. A vehicle will always have a driver that can potentially ding you, but they may not have passengers, so you remove that risk. The caveat here is if there is a passenger, it might be a kid who throws the door open. There's no simple answer.

As for people parking right next to you, I had it happen once with my van. I was way out away from everyone and someone not only parked next to me, they parked close to me too. I don't know how it couldn't have been malicious, there was no reason to park next to me and close unless you wanted to be a jerk. Luckily they didn't do any damage.

Finally, it seems like I can keep a car from getting dinged for years. I'll be really happy with myself. Then the first ding is something stupid I do in the garage or in my driveway. Can't protect it from the idiot that is me. o_O

Attachments

• parking lot.jpg
    parking lot.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Pro tip - If you really feel the need to be that fussy about paint/dings/etc, save that feeling for a weekend cruiser and pamper the hell out of it. It remains in superb shape and you won't grow tired of it as quickly since driving it will be an occasion. And, when it comes time to sell/trade it, you'll find the lower miles helps the value WAY more than parking lot blemishes.

I can't tell you how liberating it is to not sweat the daily driver's dings and scratches. Save that headspace for something that matters.

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
Pro tip - If you really feel the need to be that fussy about paint/dings/etc, save that feeling for a weekend cruiser and pamper the hell out of it. It remains in superb shape and you won't grow tired of it as quickly since driving it will be an occasion. And, when it comes time to sell/trade it, you'll find the lower miles helps the value WAY more than parking lot blemishes.

I can't tell you how liberating it is to not sweat the daily driver's dings and scratches. Save that headspace for something that matters.
Or just take care of your daily driver.

I have a 2011 Roadster and I can't tell you how often I'm asked if it is new (it has 85k miles).

P.S. I still grin every day when I drive it.