Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible electric rates can go down with oil crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, some of these rates really surprise me.

What is the difference between tier 1 and tier 2? Is it time of day, or by total usage?

Nothing Really.

My Southern California Edison Bill statement has Tier 1 as maximum 250kw. Then tier 2 is maximum 250kw after tier 1 has been used, but both are same rates? lol We are under Clean Power Alliance for our distribution and they charge a flat kw every 6 months ( winter / summer). Paying about 5 cents/kw for generating with Edison & 6 cents/kw for distributing with CPA.

Edit: I am wrong. My Tier 2 is 2 cents higher than Tier 1.

With PG&E Tier 1 is your baseline quantity of energy. I believe it's based upon your location, type of heating (electric vs. gas) and the time of year. That's the lowest cost kWh. Above that, and up to 4X your baseline quantity is Tier 2 at a higher cost.

I am still kind of chuckling at the Op complaining that "19.5" is "high" for electricity pricing. Maybe it is to a lot of people but in here in CA that price would be pretty cheap (off peak pricing for most is much higher than that, let alone on peak pricing).

Never seen the overall electricity rate go down as long as I have been paying it here in southern california, with the exception of when I installed solar (so I pay less). SCE (southern california edison) is not quite as bad as Pacific Gas and Electric, and San Diego Gas and Electric, but its close (and rates people can get now are only time of use rates, with on peak in the 40c range).

Yup, I saw that 19c, and I thought, haha, people in CA would love to have that as average rate.

Having a model 3 in winter on Longisland is prob equivalent in cost to driving a car that gets like 15mpg but your insurance is way higher.

Even worse is what they do in NYC. You have to pay to get into the parking garages the superchargers are in. $27 an hour then 29cents kwh. Then it will take them 30mins just to get your car to the charger because they park the cars like Tetris in these places. I would never recommend a Tesla to someone in NYC.

Screenshot_20200512-211028.png

Last edited:
could the crash in oil prices possibly lower electric rates?
Covid-19 can, at least wholesale prices:
Pandemic Sparks Slump in Electricity Prices
upload_2020-5-12_20-41-42.png
International Energy Agency forecasts the biggest decline in electricity consumption since the Great Depression
In the U.S., the drop has been most severe in New York City, center of the nation’s epidemic and home to a services sector that usually devours electricity. Wholesale power prices averaged $16.57 a megawatt-hour in the first six days of May, according to S&P Global Platts, down by more than a quarter from the start of 2020.