Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to add the light bar on the fog lights to a non-tech package model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to add or maybe enable the light bars on the fog lights of a non-tech package new facelift model s. It seems I have the bars there and when I click the parking lights on, it shows that it's lighting up in the display screen. See attachment.

Attachments

• 20161024_072942.jpg
    20161024_072942.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 622
I've researched this for my non-facelift S and you can swap the whole fog light assembly from a premium model and the light accent will light up. You can then ask the SC to update the car to enable control of the fog lights as well through the display controls. The SC will actually do the whole swap for you. I think they quoted me $1000 to do it. I'm probably going to tackle it myself if I can get my hands on a used set.

Reactions: skyhix
that's a little expensive for lights than I was hoping. I was hoping that the existing assembly had the bulbs and just needed to be connected, or I could just add bulbs. I just completed the bright light interior upgrade from abstract ocean and the wiring was all there, just need to make the cutouts in the upholstery in the truck and rear doors and install lights/plug them up. I was hoping the fog lights was the same way. oh well.

I've researched this for my non-facelift S and you can swap the whole fog light assembly from a premium model and the light accent will light up. You can then ask the SC to update the car to enable control of the fog lights as well through the display controls. The SC will actually do the whole swap for you. I think they quoted me $1000 to do it. I'm probably going to tackle it myself if I can get my hands on a used set.

Let me know if I understand this correctly. If I buy a used/new set of fog lights that was made for the premium package and installed on my car, the fog lights and the light bars that runs down the sides of each fog light will light up? it's just we can't turn them off until you get the SC to update the software?

Reactions: namikun
I just spoke with the service center in Houston and they said that if you didn't order the foglights on the vehicle originally, you can't add them. the wiring isn't in place to make them work. I am not sure how others have done it.

I just changed out my non-premium Foglights with a set of premium Foglights I bought off of ebay to get the lightbars. The light bars worked as soon as I plugged them in. I'll get the firmware updated one day for the actual fogs to work , but currently not sure if I will. I never use the Foglights on my Audi. The new set looks great.

What specifically did you search for on ebay? Is there a part number? I'm afraid to order the wrong ones.

check out this thread. I have the part numbers I purchased in this thread. this also shows how to pull your bumper apart to get to the fogllights except I have the new facelift model, so it's just a little different. a couple of more screws involved.

Replacing Model S Fog Light.. Help!!

Reactions: 1tsla
check out this thread. I have the part numbers I purchased in this thread. this also shows how to pull your bumper apart to get to the fogllights except I have the new facelift model, so it's just a little different. a couple of more screws involved.

Replacing Model S Fog Light.. Help!!
were you ever able to turn on the actual fog light? I know the strip turns on automatically, but what about the foglight?