Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to ask a service center to downgrade version 9 to version 8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...possible...

Of course, but that depends how bad you want it and Tesla will accommodate in the end.

See the post:

Back to square one!!!

How good are your yelling and screaming?

Tesla reversed V9 to V8 for owner dameyersman at Tesla Service Center because he's got that skill above!

...I would pay someone...

If you lack the skill of yelling and screaming, maybe you should ask whether @wk057 would be interesting in the project with reasonable compensation of course. He knows Tesla firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Minecon_CA
I'm not liking the V9 interface either. It's an even bigger issue for me personally, since I move between multiple different vehicles running different variants. The 3 with v9, my modded S with v8.0 beta, and an unmodded S with v9.

Imagine my frustration when trying to open the backup camera. On the 3 I have to get to the card that has the camera shortcut and poke it. On the v9 S I have to open an app tray at the bottom, then hit the camera. On the v8.0 beta S I have to tap the map to open the top app tray, then the camera. Definitely gets confusing. But, this particular frustration is likely mine alone.

In any case, while downgrading is technically possible, with difficulty, Tesla won't do it for you. They actually have no official mechanism for pushing lower versions to vehicles (despite it manually being done to my P85D back in the day by a Tesla dev when I leaked some things).

Unfortunately Tesla's approach to hardware and software is very Apple like and anti-consumer and is likely to continue to be the same until some law requires them to stop such practices.

I am also very disappointed with the V9 on my 2016 Model S. This is such a big step back.
V9 has only ONE positive feature that can be called as develoment: the satus bar at the top is now always visible. That's it.

I would really like to go back to V8.1 and would even pay for it.
@wk057 Could you please tell us more about how to do it?
I am not a hacker, but an electrical engineer.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
Imagine my frustration when trying to open the backup camera. On the 3 I have to get to the card that has the camera shortcut and poke it.
Can’t you just tap the camera icon? Works for me!

11C972B2-4662-4BA9-8D09-3601770B150C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: longshot49
Neither wk nor anyone else will tell you this, but I will. Assuming you're pre-2016 the CID card is what runs the MCU OS. It's a daughtercard on the MCU mainboard which is made by nVidia.

The Tegra T3 is the main processor for the MCU and it's on the CID... and inside the T3 is a boot coprocessor in addition to the main T3. On reset this boot coprocessor initializes to the first address on the boot flash, which is the Spansion flash on the obverse side of the CID.

This code is for much more than a skeleton boot. (unusual for an embedded device) The coprocessor runs it, and reads the main OS from the Hynix eMMC flash chip on the front of the CID. This Tegra (Ubongo) Linux filesystem is written into RAM.

Once that's complete the coprocessor chains to the main processor which boots the OS in RAM and mounts /home and /var on partitions in the eMMC.

Code-signing is used, which is started very early in the boot coprossor's initialization. What this means is that if you downgrade the OS in the eMMC, you still have the boot code in the Spansion chip that doesn't match. Black screen. So you must also write the boot flash with a matching boot.img and then you're home.

There's a hack for the T3 called Fusee Gelee. It smashes the stack early in the boot coprocessor's initialization, even before code-signing is turned on. This means you could turn off code-signing and write the boot flash, as well as the eMMC.

Some of us have been working on the correct payload to get shell in this flavor of T3. Some have succeeded and are not sharing because they're afraid Tesla will patch it. Thing is, this is a hardware (microcode) flaw and is unfixable in any manner other than replacing the T3 chip, so keeping it a secret is senseless or commercially-driven.

Personally I come from open-source and see this behavior as odious and anti-scientific. But we all have opinions.

I've sent many emails and complaints on the UI and all I've gotten is "We don't do any software reverts but updates are frequent enough that your issue may be fixed in a future update." Myself being quite tall having to look way down at my feet to operate everything is a serious concern. Guess time will tell on if it's ever fixed. Absolutely regretting updating my car. For me, if there aren't significant changes by the time my warranty expires then a "personal revert" will certainly happen.

Best thing to do is keep complaining to Tesla about it and hope they'll change things around. Unfortunately, those who like it vs. those who don't will most likely nail down the final result.

Reactions: am_dmd
Me too regret updating to v9 and if someone lists a full step by step instructions I will definitely attempt to roll back. Yes I have sent multiple emails and gotten non sense replies like please read everything about v9 features and completely out of context replies. I dont mind UI change but almost every aspect of this UI is non functional.

Reactions: KArnold
Why would you not want to be part of the solution?

If you ask Tesla to support going back to some specific point in history where you were happy you are ALSO asking them to support you with issues back then. Issues that have been fixed in the newer updates. If EVERYONE was happy back then we could all just stop moving forward, but women were getting $.79 to the dollar a man earned, there were lots of problems, so we have to move forward and fix them. If you don't like a change that has been made, don't throw the baby out, just focus on that change and get it in a future update, or at least find out that you are alone in your desire for the way things were in the past.

I feel like that deserves a #metoo, but as a guy, I don't think I can use that.

Apple is similarly successful at updating old hardware and they have been responsive to peoples desires. This lets them successfully update 75% of their compatible devices w/i weeks of a software update. I think that's what Tesla is trying to do too. If you splinter your user base supporting issues that crop up becomes a nightmare. Techs forget how operations were done in the old days and customers think you are a fool. But if you go into an Apple store they say "Hey, this issue is fixed in the new OS, let me help you upgrade"

-Randy

Why would you not want to be part of the solution?

Randy, Can you be more specific about what part of Version 9 was a "solution" to Version 8?

If Tesla, or Apple, want a good faith partnership with existing customers, they need to support or improve the products. There simply isn't much of a column you'll end up with, if you list out Version 9 improvements. But I'm curious. What's yours?

We know Apple's efforts to sell more phones, haven't always put their customers first. From spending a lot more time away from TMC, than here, I know Tesla makes a big deal ascribing virtue to its "updates". Could that be a cushion to other purposes they are eventually meant to serve?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kavyboy