Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to ask a service center to downgrade version 9 to version 8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Randy, Can you be more specific about what part of Version 9 was a "solution" to Version 8?
Just off the top of my head, the ability of the car to navigate itself is greatly improved in V9. NoA is awsome.

Also, I am driving a Model S while my suspension is being looked at again and THIS time I don't have any transition issues, everything on my Model 3 is in the same place on the Model S

(except mirror and steering wheel controls, where the heck are they? And what is with that crazy stalk below the turn signal, I keep grabbing it when I am trying to change lanes and the car speeds up)

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
More likely, we are not talking about getting $.79 but more like $.49.

I used to be able to have any app on top and any app on the bottom or a single app full size.

Now, that flexibility is gone. That is a loss. That is getting less, not just the same $.79!

True that! Tesla didn't think through their V9 changes. For me (with a "classic" Model S), V9 is entirely a step backwards. It only removes functionality, and adds almost nothing.

...everything on my Model 3 is in the same place on the Model S...

That is the key accomplishment of this current V9: Race to the bottom.

Remember: Model 3 15" screen cannot do mix-and-match or full screen for an app you want as Model S / X 17" screen could.

So, instead of making Model 3 matching the ability of Model S / X, Tesla has degraded S / X freedom of user interface as if it's physically an inferior Model 3 15" screen.

Reactions: Mayhemm and kavyboy
Just off the top of my head, the ability of the car to navigate itself is greatly improved in V9. NoA is awesome.
-Randy

Because most here don't have NoA, and take no issue with how awesome it is, or not, should they have been handed something worse?

Not everyone with AP2 is enamored with Version 9, but the 100k+ without might ask you, again, what specifically was a "solution" about it?

The problem is not that they fix bugs ar add futures, that is fine, the issue is that is a radical UI change and bad one, they didn’t even bother to fill up the screen with the windows, it was a just pushed to SX owners, is horrible, cartoonish and took the stylist all we love about Model S/X. Just to activate the heat, seats, steering wheel is a joke, two steps for the camera? I have a 100D with the spartan black and white colors V9 which I hate and a Model 75D that I will keep with V8 until the end. For disclosure I am a computer software savvy person, this UI was not designed for the 17 inch screen, it was designed for M3 and jammed to the rest of the fleet. I owned Teslas since 2012 at the time a round speedometer was in the center of the dashboard, useless navigation and all the updates since Model S was born, I have seen the software gets more sophisticated and the navigation getting better and first time I seen this revolt against a UI that never happened before.

The problem is not that they fix bugs or add futures, that is fine, the issue is that is a radical UI change and bad one
I just remember everyone having the same reaction to the iOS7 release when they nixed the skeuomorphic interface everyone was used to. And when they came out with the major rewrite for Final Cut making the UI as simple as iMovie. But despite all the protestations the phones and computers still sold like hotcakes AND the upgrades went on to making everyone happy. There is no one holding onto iOS6 in protest. Instead, they sent feedback to Apple about their ideas to make the new software less objectionable and Apple incorporated those ideas.

I just think you should give Tesla the same chance. Who knows what the future of the Tesla UI will be. I have visions of the S/X makeover including a screen similar to the one in the 3.

-Randy

I just remember everyone having the same reaction to the iOS7 release when they nixed the skeuomorphic interface everyone was used to. And when they came out with the major rewrite for Final Cut making the UI as simple as iMovie. But despite all the protestations the phones and computers still sold like hotcakes AND the upgrades went on to making everyone happy. There is no one holding onto iOS6 in protest. Instead, they sent feedback to Apple about their ideas to make the new software less objectionable and Apple incorporated those ideas.

I just think you should give Tesla the same chance. Who knows what the future of the Tesla UI will be. I have visions of the S/X makeover including a screen similar to the one in the 3.

-Randy

I dislike flat design, and I'm sure future Tesla updates will still have flat UI.

Even though I use modern operating systems on my phone and PC, I still use an iOS 6 theme on my phone and a Windows 7 theme for my computer. I hope a future Tesla updates adds the ablily to theme the user interface.

Although v8 was pretty flat, it was still good and optimized for the car. V9's buttons and gestures seem they were more optimized for tablets; they forgot there're designing for a car. The like/dislike buttons in the music application is so small and too close to other UI elements, which makes it easy to push the wrong button while driving.

In the future, I hope to find someone who can hack and downgrade my car to v8 and block updates since v9 is not giving the AP1 Model S any new features, and v10 probably won't either.

Reactions: kavyboy
so do older MY cars have v 8?

Only if their owners accepted having to tap through an available update message every time they put their car in park, would V8 still be there. That's going to be few, as Tesla doesn't publicize its downgrades. You get the box of chocolates.

Randy, Not giving Tesla a second chance, here. I'm really not into having to beg for my property back. The design is bad enough, my spouse still needs a 'user manual' to access the lower sub-sub-menu, that turns off/on the steering wheel heat. On some cars, this is a steering wheel button. Your eyes don't even leave the road.

Silicon Valley Bro's are going to keep coming back, regardless of whether they understand V8 vs. V9. They will keep suggesting owners "resist change", even when confronted by its fails. It's as if breaking into your car and putting that steering wheel button under the dash was cool.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kavyboy