TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to change the UI language?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jwilf, May 2, 2016.

1. jwilf

jwilf Member

Sorry, I searched but I can't find the answer to this question. Is it possible to change the language of the UI in the Model S?

Reason I ask is that I'm hiring a Model S in Austria, so it might have the UI in German. It would be nice to be able to change it to English while I have the car.

Thanks

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Curious about this too, my wife would like to change to Japanese when she has the car. Is there a way to toggle the languages?

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I asked on the Model S FB group:

Me: "European (and especially Swiss) owners - is it possible to change the GPS to English? We are renting a Model S in Zurich in September. Thanks"

A: "You can change the navigation voice, but not the actual language of the satnav/GPS system. It's not difficult to navigate Switzerland, especially in Zürich!"

Me: "We are doing an end-to-end tour. What is the default language for Switzerland?"

A: "The one I used was in French. The Swiss use three languages, French in the west, Schweizerdeutsch in the north, and Italian in the south - I would expect the nav and street names to be in German, where you rented the car"

4. jwilf

jwilf Member

Sorry to reply to my own thread but the response from EdA doesn't really answer the question (no offence intended) and I've now done my trip in the Model S rented in Austria.

So I can confirm that it is possible to change the UI language. You just go into the Controls, and there is a setting in there. When you change the language, the centre screen will reboot, and then everything on the screen will be in your chosen language and so will the navigation voice.

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

@jwilf - thanks, they must have rectified this recently!

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

We were able to change the language and the GPS language.
    We visited the Tesla store in Zurich the day before we picked up the car and they showed us how to do it.

I thought we documented the process here: Visit to Tesla Store in Zurich
    If there's interest I can get the steps.