Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to disable launch mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chill mode works but it is very likely the kids will know how to re-enable it.
Max speed adjustment is also great but I suspect that the kids would know how to circumvent that as well.
Valet mode would also work but it disables other things as well, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Valet mode also needs a numeric pin to enable it but the app on the phone allowed it to be turned off without a pin, which surprised me.
It also removes Home and Work from Navigation.
If kiddo's phone is already in the list of phones the car knows about, it will still work for opening and locking the car.
Not sure if it can receive calls but I believe it can. Recommend reading the manual and also do some tests via your phone.
Best thing I discovered to slow down my kids was teaching them about the tires. Explaining the need for grip and the speed ratings on the tires.
Also explained blow outs. Find a video of that and show it to them. Best way is to educate them.
Plus you don't need to tell them was the Tesla speed rating is.
Just mention the R rating on the tire means it was only tested much, much slower that SR or HR tires.
Once I did that, my child aka Mario (either Andretti or Karts) told me, a few years later, that did in fact cause them to drive a bit slower.
Also mention that you have Sentry mode and video of them driving... That may work as well.

I, myself, would be unlikely to let my kids drive a Tesla until they had 4 or more years, maybe 6 or more years, of experience. I remember how I was at that age. Tesla cars are much more powerful than the old time muscle cars.
I recommend having a Prius for them to drive. That helps to teach them how to conserve battery power while accelerating.
Make it a game on how long they can stay in battery mode before the engine kicks in.
Also teaches them to coast up to lights to put it into battery mode early.