Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to DRAIN the wiper fluid reservoir?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of my Model X and the first time I tried to use the wiper fluid, I thought it was empty. So I ran by the store and grabbed some of the wiper fluid linked below and filled up the reservoir.

Only AFTER I filled it and was having trouble did I do a quick search and realize I wasn't pressing the button in far enough! As if that didn't make me feel like a big enough idiot, I then read in the manual not to use washer fluid with water repellant or bug cleaners. Naturally, it looks like I chose one that has both. Not only that, I put almost a half a gallon of the fluid into my car!

Rain-X All-Season Windshield Washer Fluid

To my question(s) - Is there an easy way to drain the reservoir and get this fluid out? If not, what's the worst that could happen if I go through this fluid before using a more approved fluid next time.

Thanks!

Hi Tmiddlebrooks,

The Rain-X and others will coat the glass with a chemical to make the water bead...
This coating will also be on the painted surfaces of the car.
Tesla does not want any "bad paint" claims that were caused by these additives.

There is probably not an easily accessible drain plug to drain the tank. A good alternative would be a siphon or a wet-dry shop vac.
If you siphon and start it by mouth (generally a bad idea) be sure not to get any of the fluid in your mouth.
The wet-dry shop vac is probably your best option. Use a small 1/4" ID vinyl tubing from Menard's or Lowe's
into the reservoir and the other end into the shop vac hose, restrict the opening with tape or your hand and vacuum
until the reservoir is empty or very close to empty.
Any small amount left in the reservoir will be fine when you add the correct fluid.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Hi Tmiddlebrooks,

The Rain-X and others will coat the glass with a chemical to make the water bead...

There is probably not an easily accessible drain plug to drain the tank. A good alternative would be a siphon or a wet-dry shop vac.
If you siphon and start it by mouth (generally a bad idea) be sure not to get any of the fluid in your mouth.
The wet-dry shop vac is probably your best option. Use a small 1/4" ID vinyl tubing from Menard's or Lowe's
into the reservoir and the other end into the shop vac hose, restrict the opening with tape or your hand and vacuum
Any small amount left in the reservoir will be fine when you add the correct fluid.

Good luck,

Shawn

The shop vac is a great idea Shawn! I will give that try.

Thanks!

Hi Tmiddlebrooks,

Good luck,

Shawn

Shawn, I just wanted to update you that the vinyl tubing taped to the shop vac idea worked incredibly well! Was able to draw out all of the fluid and got the “add fluid” message from the car, so I know it’s pretty much empty. Thanks again for the suggestion!

I’m in the same situation with no access to a wet dry vac. Guessing if I can just spray it out until it’s emptied and then clean the glass / blades with isopropyl alcohol wipes? It’s pretty rainy in the uk, I believe the rain will wash away the chemical residues.

I like the rain X. Fluid. I can’t imagine rain X getting away with selling anything that has negative effects on paint. I’d be more concerned about the rubber FWD wind seals. But mine are junk now anyway so I’m hoping the rain X stabilizes the deteriorating rubber.

An observation.. where the wipers wipe is the only well coated area of the whole glass. So it does look different when you see the big windshield after a rain. Almost as if someone already ran the wipers. I’m not concerned until I see some evidence.