Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to drive in Very Low Suspension Mode for extended periods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems when I select Very Low on the suspension control screen and I exit out of the menu and begin to drive, inevitably the car will automatically raise to the Low setting.

I notice that if you stay on the suspension control menu and you leave that menu on the screen, that the ride height does not deviate and it will stay in the Very Low mode if selected.

Is there any way to maintain the Very Low ride height without keeping the screen on the suspension control page?

I love the look of the Very Low setting and I feel the ride quality on the suburban streets near my home is more than tolerable.

Anyone with any experience?

How about making the car automatically lower to the Very Low ride height when you put the car in Park? I had a Techart Porsche Cayenne with that feature which was awesome.

Thanks guys!

you should order some lowering links which allow you to have the lowered look while in the normal setting.
I have considered lowering links (I have them installed on my Porsche Panamera), but I feel as long as I can drive in Very Low mode, I would be satisfied with that ride height.

Do you know if it is possible to keep the Model X in Very Low mode without keeping the suspension control page on the screen?

How about making the car automatically lower to the Very Low ride height when you put the car in Park? I had a Techart Porsche Cayenne with that feature which was awesome.
Email [email protected] and ask them to implement this feature. They should be able to make it GPS aware, so that it only happens in locations you want it. They already have the feature where it automatically raises suspension based on GPS location.

Email [email protected] and ask them to implement this feature. They should be able to make it GPS aware, so that it only happens in locations you want it. They already have the feature where it automatically raises suspension based on GPS location.

Do you really think Tesla would even consider a request like this? I would think to implement a software change, they would require hundreds, if not thousands, of us to make this request. Doubtful they would even think about it if I asked. This said, I am a new owner and have zero experience dealing directly with them.

It would be nice to have it able to lower in your garage, like Homelink (is supposed to) opens your garage door...

Reactions: vandacca
It would be nice to have it able to lower in your garage, like Homelink (is supposed to) opens your garage door...
I hope I'm not the only Tesla owner emailing Tesla NA about implementing this in an update. Placing the X in the lowest setting makes it easier for my parents to get in and out of the car, and for us to remove and stow away our wide double stroller in the trunk.

I hope I'm not the only Tesla owner emailing Tesla NA about implementing this in an update. Placing the X in the lowest setting makes it easier for my parents to get in and out of the car, and for us to remove and stow away our wide double stroller in the trunk.

Did you email them about this yet? I will, but I'm wondering if you received any response from them. Again, I am doubtful they'll do anything for these small "one-off" requests, but it's worth a shot.

It seems when I select Very Low on the suspension control screen and I exit out of the menu and begin to drive, inevitably the car will automatically raise to the Low setting.

I notice that if you stay on the suspension control menu and you leave that menu on the screen, that the ride height does not deviate and it will stay in the Very Low mode if selected.

Is there any way to maintain the Very Low ride height without keeping the screen on the suspension control page?

I love the look of the Very Low setting and I feel the ride quality on the suburban streets near my home is more than tolerable.

Anyone with any experience?

Thanks guys!

In my experience, it will do this if you have automatic lowering turned on - especially if it's on ALWAYS. If you turn automatic lowering to NEVER, it should keep it in very low.

Did you email them about this yet? I will, but I'm wondering if you received any response from them. Again, I am doubtful they'll do anything for these small "one-off" requests, but it's worth a shot.
Yep. I hear you about the one-off request thing, but, even though I can't think of specific examples at the moment, my impression (and hope) is that Tesla takes suggestions such as this into consideration.

Do you really think Tesla would even consider a request like this? I would think to implement a software change, they would require hundreds, if not thousands, of us to make this request. Doubtful they would even think about it if I asked. This said, I am a new owner and have zero experience dealing directly with them.
I would expect Tesla to implement customer feedback if they feel it has merit and/or if enough people request it. I have made numerous requests, including the suspension auto-lowering at my garage GPS location.

Tesla did implement my very first recommendation 2 months after I made it (yes, it could be a coincidence). I suggested they automatically park the adjustable spoiler whenever the rear hatch is opened to prevent the spoiler from hitting the ceiling. However, less than a week after they implemented it, I almost got my fingers caught under the spoiler when I inadvertently grabbed the rear hatch to prevent it from hitting a low obstacle (karma?)

Anyway, this is my only recommendation Tesla seems to have implemented. Maybe we only get one per customer or they've gotten tired of getting emails from me. Someone actually does read them and replies back thanking you for the email and indicating that they will forward it to the correct team for consideration.

Reactions: boaterva
I would expect Tesla to implement customer feedback if they feel it has merit and/or if enough people request it. I have made numerous requests, including the suspension auto-lowering at my garage GPS location.

Tesla did implement my very first recommendation 2 months after I made it (yes, it could be a coincidence). I suggested they automatically park the adjustable spoiler whenever the rear hatch is opened to prevent the spoiler from hitting the ceiling. However, less than a week after they implemented it, I almost got my fingers caught under the spoiler when I inadvertently grabbed the rear hatch to prevent it from hitting a low obstacle (karma?)

Anyway, this is my only recommendation Tesla seems to have implemented. Maybe we only get one per customer or they've gotten tired of getting emails from me. Someone actually does read them and replies back thanking you for the email and indicating that they will forward it to the correct team for consideration.
Of course, then, they took the parking spoilers away from the rest of us... :D

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Interesting item maybe, or someone just did it wrong. My new X showed up with the suspension set to always low. I’ve been around and know about tires being eaten so I asked and was told low is the default suspension height on new Xs. Could have been the showroom folks blowing smoke but I’m half tempted to run low (not very low) and see how the tires hold up. If they are shot in 5000 miles I’ll go back and try to get the SC to replace them on their dime. After all I intentionally asked and mentioned tire wear and they bacially said that’s the default but you can change it if you’d like.

Interesting item maybe, or someone just did it wrong. My new X showed up with the suspension set to always low. I’ve been around and know about tires being eaten so I asked and was told low is the default suspension height on new Xs. Could have been the showroom folks blowing smoke but I’m half tempted to run low (not very low) and see how the tires hold up. If they are shot in 5000 miles I’ll go back and try to get the SC to replace them on their dime. After all I intentionally asked and mentioned tire wear and they bacially said that’s the default but you can change it if you’d like.

Premature tire wear caused by negative camber due to driving with a lowered ride height will not be so aggressive to the point of going through a set of tires in 5,000 miles. The premature wear driving in Low is likely to be about 10-15% faster wear than normal.

I base that estimate on my extensive history of owning high performance cars lowered suspensions. My 911, my Panamera and my M5 all have lowered suspensions and high performance tires. The premature wear on the inners of the tires has been minimal.

Just out of curiosity, when you drive the Model X in Very Low mode, does it automatically change to Low mode after some time? Mine seems to do that, unless I keep the touchscreen on the suspension control page.

Premature tire wear caused by negative camber due to driving with a lowered ride height will not be so aggressive to the point of going through a set of tires in 5,000 miles. The premature wear driving in Low is likely to be about 10-15% faster wear than normal.

I base that estimate on my extensive history of owning high performance cars lowered suspensions. My 911, my Panamera and my M5 all have lowered suspensions and high performance tires. The premature wear on the inners of the tires has been minimal.

Just out of curiosity, when you drive the Model X in Very Low mode, does it automatically change to Low mode after some time? Mine seems to do that, unless I keep the touchscreen on the suspension control page.

My OEM tires lasted 24,000 miles before the inner tread wore through so bad I got a flat. That is driving on the low setting 90% of the time. This was a Model S though.