TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC will be going down for maintenance at 9:00PM EST (02:00 UTC).
    Click here for more info.

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by 1LE McQueen, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Tesla doesn’t sell extended warranties for Model 3’s at all. There is a 3rd party company doing it, I bought one from them, time will tell if that pans out.

The only “gotchas” with used Teslas is free supercharging (when looking at S’s) and verifying the packages that are installed.

And, I believe Tesla sales people are on some sort of bonus or commission schedule, so treat them like you would any car salesman.

• Like x 1
  2. gobble

gobble Member

Why would you not do a private party transaction for $40k? You trust a dealer more than an individual? That makes no sense.

Last year I bought a $195k car from a private party. I got to know the seller, saw his house and other cars, learned the history of the car, etc. I'd much rather buy a car from an enthusiast like myself vs. a dealer who's just flipping cars and doesn't have an emotional connection to any of them.

• Like x 1
  3. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Apples and oranges. People doing a transaction for 195k cars would be buying them from an enthusiast. The market for buyers and sellers of such cars is somewhat small.

A 40k car is a mass market car, and no one is "getting to know the seller, seeing their house, and learing the cars history" for a 40k car on craigslist.

There is much less chance of not knowing (or being lied to) about the history of your 195k car than a 40k model 3 that has been owned for 2 years or less, that is being sold for "a bargain" compared to other cars.

4. gobble

gobble Member

But with the Tesla model not really taking trades that forces people to private party their cars.... or settle for the lowball offers from Carmax.

5. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

Funny, because with a model 3 of 2 years of age, history of the car is just about useless since it doesn't matter except for car accidents. There just isn't the same amount of neglect you could do to it like you could with ICE when forgetting to do oil changes, air filter changes, etc.

Worse you could do is not rotate tires and maybe drive it on salt roads.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. jjrandorin

And "car accidents" would be one reason that someone would be selling a car for a "good deal" and under market value. They also dont all show up on "car fax" or any other service. A car seller can tell you anything verbally (dealer or otherwise). With a private party, there is virtually nothing you will be able to do once you sign over that check.

7. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Thanks! Hopefully that works out well for you. Hopefully you wont need to test it out lol.

I don't see the problem? We're talking about thousands in tax dollars being saved.Car still has bumper to bumper if you buy the right year / mileage. If you know how to inspect a car, every nook and cranny, you'll be alright. There's only risk if you don't have due diligence.

• Like x 1
  8. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Just offered a guy with a blue M3 44 thousand. Asking was 48 thousand.

Had 21,000 miles, 2018 RWD LR with FSD. He shot me down pretty fast with a rude email. This guys car's been on the market for 11 days so joke's on him.

• Disagree x 2
  9. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Oomphh.. 2018 black AWD M3 just posted for $44.8k. 20 thousand miles. I'd jump on it except no FSD and Black is my least favorite color. Tempting though but it's only been a week of searching.

• Informative x 1
  10. jjrandorin

Your thread title says "under 40k" but it sounds like you have decided that 44k is reasonable. Used cars are worth whatever people will pay, and it appears that model 3s are still holding value pretty well.

• Like x 2
  11. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Yessir. Unfortunately I can't edit the title or my original posts at this point, but 44 is now my realistic approach. With KBB as my guide I'll be as patient as I have to be to find the right one.

• Like x 2
  12. jjrandorin

My opinion (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, which is nothing, lol) is that 44k is a fairly realistic target if you hunt well and are patient. I dont think you could get a LR, with FSD, under 40k, that did not have some sort of "issues" attached, but I do think you will be able to find one for 44k.

Good luck, these are great cars, I still love mine as much as the day I drove it home, and i have had it a little over a year and 17.5k miles so far.

• Love x 1
  13. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Thank you very much. I'm excited and can't wait to get my hands on one!

14. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

@M3BlueGeorgia disagree? Am I being unreasonable asking 44?

15. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

For RWD? 43-45 is on point for an EAP car. 48 is on the high side but in the right condition...

LR RWD are undoubtedly the range kings since the AWD cars have been proven to consistently fall short of EPA ratings for your average Joe.

• Like x 1
  16. JCannonTech

JCannonTech Member

Not even close to unreasonable.. You can find LR AWD with FSD for 48K, let alone a RWD.. 43K-44K is the average selling price for a LR RWD with FSD.

• Love x 1
  17. gobble

gobble Member

Why would you pay that much though when you could have bought one brand new for that price after the tax credit in early 2019?

18. rdcisneros3

rdcisneros3 Member

Because it's not early 2019 anymore?

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 1
  19. kmstivers

kmstivers Member

I’m on the hunt as well.
    I prefer LR, but really the SR+ would be just fine as my daily driver.

ISO:
    LR RWD $40-41K without FSD or $44-45 with FSD

or

SR+ $36-37K no FSD, or $40-41K with FSD

20. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

More or less reasonable but at 4K delta you’re more likely to see an EAP configured car.