Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sales guy said not to buy used because X Y Z. I guess there's no extended warranty option for buying used. Can anyone throw in their two cents? Is there a difference? Other than the usual wear / tear of course.

Tesla doesn’t sell extended warranties for Model 3’s at all. There is a 3rd party company doing it, I bought one from them, time will tell if that pans out.

The only “gotchas” with used Teslas is free supercharging (when looking at S’s) and verifying the packages that are installed.

And, I believe Tesla sales people are on some sort of bonus or commission schedule, so treat them like you would any car salesman.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
That being said, there is no way in $%!$!$% I would do a private party transaction on a car for 40k, just to save on some tax. OPs risk tolerance is WAAY high.

Why would you not do a private party transaction for $40k? You trust a dealer more than an individual? That makes no sense.

Last year I bought a $195k car from a private party. I got to know the seller, saw his house and other cars, learned the history of the car, etc. I'd much rather buy a car from an enthusiast like myself vs. a dealer who's just flipping cars and doesn't have an emotional connection to any of them.

Reactions: swaltner
Why would you not do a private party transaction for $40k? You trust a dealer more than an individual? That makes no sense.

Last year I bought a $195k car from a private party. I got to know the seller, saw his house and other cars, learned the history of the car, etc. I'd much rather buy a car from an enthusiast like myself vs. a dealer who's just flipping cars and doesn't have an emotional connection to any of them.

Apples and oranges. People doing a transaction for 195k cars would be buying them from an enthusiast. The market for buyers and sellers of such cars is somewhat small.

A 40k car is a mass market car, and no one is "getting to know the seller, seeing their house, and learing the cars history" for a 40k car on craigslist.

There is much less chance of not knowing (or being lied to) about the history of your 195k car than a 40k model 3 that has been owned for 2 years or less, that is being sold for "a bargain" compared to other cars.

Apples and oranges. People doing a transaction for 195k cars would be buying them from an enthusiast. The market for buyers and sellers of such cars is somewhat small.

A 40k car is a mass market car, and no one is "getting to know the seller, seeing their house, and learing the cars history" for a 40k car on craigslist.

There is much less chance of not knowing (or being lied to) about the history of your 195k car than a 40k model 3 that has been owned for 2 years or less, that is being sold for "a bargain" compared to other cars.

Funny, because with a model 3 of 2 years of age, history of the car is just about useless since it doesn't matter except for car accidents. There just isn't the same amount of neglect you could do to it like you could with ICE when forgetting to do oil changes, air filter changes, etc.

Worse you could do is not rotate tires and maybe drive it on salt roads.

Funny, because with a model 3 of 2 years of age, history of the car is just about useless since it doesn't matter except for car accidents. There just isn't the same amount of neglect you could do to it like you could with ICE when forgetting to do oil changes, air filter changes, etc.

Worse you could do is not rotate tires and maybe drive it on salt roads.

And "car accidents" would be one reason that someone would be selling a car for a "good deal" and under market value. They also dont all show up on "car fax" or any other service. A car seller can tell you anything verbally (dealer or otherwise). With a private party, there is virtually nothing you will be able to do once you sign over that check.

Tesla doesn’t sell extended warranties for Model 3’s at all. There is a 3rd party company doing it, I bought one from them, time will tell if that pans out.

The only “gotchas” with used Teslas is free supercharging (when looking at S’s) and verifying the packages that are installed.

And, I believe Tesla sales people are on some sort of bonus or commission schedule, so treat them like you would any car salesman.

Thanks! Hopefully that works out well for you. Hopefully you wont need to test it out lol.

And "car accidents" would be one reason that someone would be selling a car for a "good deal" and under market value. They also dont all show up on "car fax" or any other service. A car seller can tell you anything verbally (dealer or otherwise). With a private party, there is virtually nothing you will be able to do once you sign over that check.

I don't see the problem? We're talking about thousands in tax dollars being saved.Car still has bumper to bumper if you buy the right year / mileage. If you know how to inspect a car, every nook and cranny, you'll be alright. There's only risk if you don't have due diligence.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Your thread title says "under 40k" but it sounds like you have decided that 44k is reasonable. Used cars are worth whatever people will pay, and it appears that model 3s are still holding value pretty well.

Yessir. Unfortunately I can't edit the title or my original posts at this point, but 44 is now my realistic approach. With KBB as my guide I'll be as patient as I have to be to find the right one.

Yessir. Unfortunately I can't edit the title or my original posts at this point, but 44 is now my realistic approach. With KBB as my guide I'll be as patient as I have to be to find the right one.

My opinion (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, which is nothing, lol) is that 44k is a fairly realistic target if you hunt well and are patient. I dont think you could get a LR, with FSD, under 40k, that did not have some sort of "issues" attached, but I do think you will be able to find one for 44k.

Good luck, these are great cars, I still love mine as much as the day I drove it home, and i have had it a little over a year and 17.5k miles so far.

• Love
Reactions: 1LE McQueen
My opinion (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, which is nothing, lol) is that 44k is a fairly realistic target if you hunt well and are patient. I dont think you could get a LR, with FSD, under 40k, that did not have some sort of "issues" attached, but I do think you will be able to find one for 44k.

Good luck, these are great cars, I still love mine as much as the day I drove it home, and i have had it a little over a year and 17.5k miles so far.

Thank you very much. I'm excited and can't wait to get my hands on one!