Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on the hunt as well.
I prefer LR, but really the SR+ would be just fine as my daily driver.

ISO:
LR RWD $40-41K without FSD or $44-45 with FSD

or

SR+ $36-37K no FSD, or $40-41K with FSD

This feels optimistic to me. I guess it also depends on the number of miles. I just don't see the depreciation happening. Are people having luck negotiating down listed prices of used 3s? In a normal used car listing I just assume I can knock a good chuck off the asking price, but I wonder if this is another trend that doesn't apply to Tesla.

Every car is negotiable with a private seller or third party dealer unless they don’t want to sell it. I took about $3K off the MR for a serious buyer with cashiers check in hand that completed the transaction within 48hrs of contact.

Some of these sellers are amazing. I offered a guy 44k to his 47k asking price. He took it like it was an insult. 2 - 3 weeks later and his car is still on the market.

I've also contacted many others keeping my offer within 3 or 4 grand and they either don't get back to me, or say no. I think one of the main problems is that local car ads are spread too thin so i'm left with no choice but to inquire out of state.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
You’ll find that most people who post their Model 3 for sale are sellers of opportunity. If they can get someone to pay them a premium for the car, they’ll *reluctantly* let it go, otherwise they’ll *happily* keep driving it.

With our MR it was a little of column A and a little of column B since the Mrs wants a Y or a well priced X and we have spare cars anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: 1LE McQueen
You’ll find that most people who post their Model 3 for sale are sellers of opportunity. If they can get someone to pay them a premium for the car, they’ll *reluctantly* let it go, otherwise they’ll *happily* keep driving it.

With our MR it was a little of column A and a little of column B since the Mrs wants a Y or a well priced X and we have spare cars anyway.

That must be what's going on. I didn't think about it from that angle.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I’ve been going around with cash offers as well for the last few weeks. I’ve noticed that saying “I’ll meet you at the bank end of the day today with cash” doesn’t have the impact it usually does because banks are usually holding the titles and the cars are financed. I’ve come within 1k negotiating with a cashiers check and the guy wouldn’t budge.

One time a guy took my cash offer but only if I accepted the fact that (and he just disclosed this) that 3 wheels had light curb rash and essentially used that negative factor as a bargaining token, lol. So I took another 2k off my offer and no deal.

it seems that with the NJ 5k rebate, for me anyways, it’s now cheaper to just spec out a new car because cash doesn’t have the same impact in this market with the mix of delusional and desperate sellers (No offense to model 3 owners). I’m glad NJ came up with that incentive. Only downside is it seems to be limited at 55k sticker price cars so the p3 is just slightly priced out of it unfortunately.

I’ve been going around with cash offers as well for the last few weeks. I’ve noticed that saying “I’ll meet you at the bank end of the day today with cash” doesn’t have the impact it usually does because banks are usually holding the titles and the cars are financed. I’ve come within 1k negotiating with a cashiers check and the guy wouldn’t budge.

One time a guy took my cash offer but only if I accepted the fact that (and he just disclosed this) that 3 wheels had light curb rash and essentially used that negative factor as a bargaining token, lol. So I took another 2k off my offer and no deal.

it seems that with the NJ 5k rebate, for me anyways, it’s now cheaper to just spec out a new car because cash doesn’t have the same impact in this market with the mix of delusional and desperate sellers (No offense to model 3 owners). I’m glad NJ came up with that incentive. Only downside is it seems to be limited at 55k sticker price cars so the p3 is just slightly priced out of it unfortunately.

A P3D- should be under 55k sticker price unless there's color/wheel options tacked on, assuming you can find one in inventory

it's frustrating isn't it?? lol. Just requires a ton of patience to find the right TM3 and when you do, ya better act FAST.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I think a lot of the sellers listing SR/MR/LRRWD cars are just testing the waters to see how much they can get because they want to upgrade to a higher trim level Model 3. So they don’t really need to sell their cars. They may just want to get a car with longer range or better performance if they can do so without spending a lot of extra money. This may be creating the unrealistic ask prices we are seeing.

I think a lot of the sellers listing SR/MR/LRRWD cars are just testing the waters to see how much they can get because they want to upgrade to a higher trim level Model 3. So they don’t really need to sell their cars. They may just want to get a car with longer range or better performance if they can do so without spending a lot of extra money. This may be creating the unrealistic ask prices we are seeing.
Like I said, sellers of opportunity.

I agree re the “sellers of opportunity”... I have a 2019, HW3, FSD, MSM LR RWD with aero 18” wheels and 5k miles. I crunched the numbers and would happily sell for $54,918 (provided I get to keep the $3,750 tax rebate, and that is unclear; otherwise add that to the total too).

This isn’t really based on what the car is “worth,” obviously, but it’s what I would need to be made whole and in order to justify an upgrade to the AWD with FSD (now $1K more expensive than when I paid for it).

Since no one is likely to pay me near $60k for my beloved car, though, I will happily drive it for years to come and until the math changes. (If you just HAVE to have a LR RWD with HW3 right now and money is no object then send me a DM though! )

Honestly, and I hate to say it, but if I can't find the right TM3 before summer, I just may get a 17 Honda Civic and call it a day (at least for a year or two, then save up my money for after the Model Y has done it's work on the market). Might be the "smartest" option given my financial situation.

Honestly, and I hate to say it, but if I can't find the right TM3 before summer, I just may get a 17 Honda Civic and call it a day (at least for a year or two, then save up my money for after the Model Y has done it's work on the market). Might be the "smartest" option given my financial situation.
Oh my.
Anything but a civic!

I really don’t feel like Y will wreck 3 values as you anticipate (worst case is a 10% depression and even this will be in line with 3’s being older and having more miles on average) There are many of us waiting on Y to replace another vehicle or add another electric.

• Funny
Reactions: 1LE McQueen
Oh my.
Anything but a civic!

I really don’t feel like Y will wreck 3 values as you anticipate (worst case is a 10% depression and even this will be in line with 3’s being older and having more miles on average) There are many of us waiting on Y to replace another vehicle or add another electric.

I know right!!?? But what can I say.. 20k car vs 45k car. The TM3 used market has not been kind and I hope that in a year or two it'll be more stable. But for now, I feel like I need to do everything in my power to avoid 1500 new tires, 700 new brake pads, and whatever else is gonna break in the near future.. I'm needing to get the HVAC Blend Door repaired which is also going to be expensive.

Hey, it's a 1LE and this stuff is costly :( at least a Civic is reliable and efficient.

Hey everyone, just thought i'd provide an update. Just saw an ad posted for a 2018 Performance, 23k miles, for 49 grand. Deciding if I should go for it. No sales tax is a huge plus.

I know the Model Y production has been pushed up. I'm pretty confident a proper amount of M3's will be coming out of the woodwork. I don't need a performance but 48k is attractive for one. Still above what i'm comfortable with unless I go 84 months, but that interest is going to eat my bank account up.

I'm not going to lie - i've been researching the Civic Hatchbacks for awhile and was finally offered a brand new 2020 Sport Touring for 26 grand. the 5 year cost of ownership might lean towards the TM3, but in the long run i'd save money buying a Civic for half the price of a Model 3. Decisions decisions. My heart is set on Tesla still. I said i'd be as patient as I need to be, so here I am.