Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What speeds would you have to run to get that? Seems like running 70-80 mph it gets maybe 180-190 miles at most from 100% charge(have only done it once just to see)?

I made a 130 mile trip and only had 94 miles left when parked. So started with 310+- and went 130 miles and have 94 left. So 310-130 is 180. What does it actually take to get anywhere close 310 miles? 50 mph? Only mixed driving with 50% city and 50% interstate and 50 mph???

Reactions: SlimJim
What speeds would you have to run to get that? Seems like running 70-80 mph it gets maybe 180-190 miles at most from 100% charge(have only done it once just to see)?

I made a 130 mile trip and only had 94 miles left when parked. So started with 310+- and went 130 miles and have 94 left. So 310-130 is 180. What does it actually take to get anywhere close 310 miles? 50 mph? Only mixed driving with 50% city and 50% interstate and 50 mph???

1. Tesla revised the Model 3P range with 20 inch tires range to 299 on the vehicles that came "rated at 310".
2. In order to get that 299 range, you would have to have the wh/mi consumption at the rated line. I forget what it is for a model 3P but consumption at the rated range line = rated range.

You wont ever see that at anywhere NEAR 70MPH though, I believe the EPA tests are at something like 48MPH so you would likely need to average 48MPH or so.

TL ; DR

The answer to your thread question for a model 3 performance that came with 20 inch tires and was delivered in 2017-2020 is basically "No".

Slap some lightweight 18’s on it and keep it at 70 or below and it’s possible assuming the pavement is not wet (which would imply it’s raining or recently precipitation) or that trash chip seal that’s really noisy.

Also it can’t be close to or below freezing, wind blowing any direction but behind you and it would help if you drafted a Semi on the #4 detent in TACC.

1. Tesla revised the Model 3P range with 20 inch tires range to 299 on the vehicles that came "rated at 310".
2. In order to get that 299 range, you would have to have the wh/mi consumption at the rated line. I forget what it is for a model 3P but consumption at the rated range line = rated range.

You wont ever see that at anywhere NEAR 70MPH though, I believe the EPA tests are at something like 48MPH so you would likely need to average 48MPH or so.

TL ; DR

The answer to your thread question for a model 3 performance that came with 20 inch tires and was delivered in 2017-2020 is basically "No".
Mine is a 2022 I picked up in May. I believe it was rated at 315 when I picked it up. Shows 310 if full now with 2600 miles.

What blows my mind is the nav in the car when planning a long trip will show what percent it thinks will be left at the next supercharger and it never gets close to it's estimate. You'd think when estimating SOC left at next station they'd account for the speed limit. Luckily on a couple "long" trips I always go well over what it says I need for SOC. Got down to 5-6% on one and was sweating it decent until I rolled in.

Reactions: Tripod
Slap some lightweight 18’s on it and keep it at 70 or below and it’s possible assuming the pavement is not wet (which would imply it’s raining or recently precipitation) or that trash chip seal that’s really noisy.

Also it can’t be close to or below freezing, wind blowing any direction but behind you and it would help if you drafted a Semi on the #4 detent in TACC.
Are there any 18's that will fit with the M3P calipers?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Mine is a 2022 I picked up in May. I believe it was rated at 315 when I picked it up. Shows 310 if full now with 2600 miles.

What blows my mind is the nav in the car when planning a long trip will show what percent it thinks will be left at the next supercharger and it never gets close to it's estimate. You'd think when estimating SOC left at next station they'd account for the speed limit. Luckily on a couple "long" trips I always go well over what it says I need for SOC. Got down to 5-6% on one and was sweating it decent until I rolled in.

"Driving 70-80" you will never get close to that amount of range.. and there is a pretty big difference in "driving 70", "driving 75" and "driving 80". Its not a little different, its a lot different.

Answering your original question: not likely.

Edmunds' test showed 245 miles real-world range: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Car and Driver's 75 mph highway range test showed 220 miles: Tested: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance Hits 60 in 3.1 Seconds

"Driving 70-80" you will never get close to that amount of range.. and there is a pretty big difference in "driving 70", "driving 75" and "driving 80". Its not a little different, its a lot different.
I realize there is a difference and why I don't expect to get 310 miles range. Driving like I said gets you about 180 miles range which is less than I expected. I guess I didn't realize how much worse electric was running at interstate speeds compared to combustion engines. Love the car. Just not great for even short road trips unless you want to run 55 mph on the interstate.

Reactions: Lavender
I realize there is a difference and why I don't expect to get 310 miles range. Driving like I said gets you about 180 miles range which is less than I expected. I guess I didn't realize how much worse electric was running at interstate speeds compared to combustion engines. Love the car. Just not great for even short road trips unless you want to run 55 mph on the interstate.

People fall back to that discussion all the time, and in general, if you are going more than the range of the vehicle, its better to simply drive and plan for a 15 minute or so stop at a supercharger while you use the restroom.

I am going to "vigorously" push back on "not great for even short road trips" as that simply is not true in the slightest, unless the only way you road trip is to drive as far as you can, for as long as you can, before you stop to get gas. I have never, ever been able to go more than about 2 hours on a drive because my wife will ask me to stop for a restroom break.

You can supercharge for about 20 minutes and get enough range back to continue your journey, so I disagree vigorously with your premise here.

People fall back to that discussion all the time, and in general, if you are going more than the range of the vehicle, its better to simply drive and plan for a 15 minute or so stop at a supercharger while you use the restroom.

I am going to "vigorously" push back on "not great for even short road trips" as that simply is not true in the slightest, unless the only way you road trip is to drive as far as you can, for as long as you can, before you stop to get gas. I have never, ever been able to go more than about 2 hours on a drive because my wife will ask me to stop for a restroom break.

You can supercharge for about 20 minutes and get enough range back to continue your journey, so I disagree vigorously with your premise here.

Interesting anecdote. We used to have an OG (2018) P3D+ and road trips were just fine and dandy. Interestingly enough it tended to get about the same efficiency as our MX Raven, which takes longer to charge.

I'm calling my short road trip 130 miles to the airport. Parking they have limited charging spots for long term and less for fast chargers. So if you can't hit a fast charger when you get back to your car like last time I had to drive 20 minutes the wrong way to get to a supercharger and then supercharge for 20+ min and then back track 20 miles again to head home. It doesn't have enough range to make it to the supercharger on the way home so have to do the backtrack thing.

If I drove my 8000 lb diesel truck I could fill up and drive home and not have to stop. Or I could have done the same in my Z06 Vette I sold that I replaced with the m3p. So comparing it to those 2 which aren't great economy vehicles but could make that round trip easily it seems my Tesla isn't great for short road trips.

Reactions: SlimJim
I made a 130 mile trip and only had 94 miles left when parked

I'm calling my short road trip 130 miles to the airport.
It sounds like you made your short trip to the airport of 130 miles just fine, with 94 miles left when you returned (unless I am mis reading that and your trip to the airport was 130 miles one way?)

edit: Ok.. reading it again, I believe I read it wrong the first time and your short trip to the airport was 130 miles one way, requiring you to make a 20 minute journey out of your way to fill up when you returned.

I have a 2020 M3LR with 19 inch wheels. I believe it was rated at 310 miles of range when new. I've put just over 17,000 miles on it in 26 months. In my experience the car only achieves it's stated range when driving at speeds under 50mph, with the heater and AC off, with no one in the car but me, with no luggage or cargo, and on relatively flat roads. I'm not complaining. I love the car, but that's how the whole range thing works out - at least on my car. EPA range for ICE cars was always a joke, so why should it be any different for EV's?

If I drove my 8000 lb diesel truck I could fill up and drive home and not have to stop. Or I could have done the same in my Z06 Vette I sold that I replaced with the m3p. So comparing it to those 2 which aren't great economy vehicles but could make that round trip easily it seems my Tesla isn't great for short road trips.

Yep, and either of those vehicles would cost you 5-10 times as much in fuel for that trip than the Tesla, so it's all tradeoffs...

So your 1-way trip to the airport is 130 miles with no fast-charging along the route?? Wow...